• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Please help me figure my 2019/2020 passes

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Hey all. My current pass situation is almost ideal. I get two passes in the spring at a pretty nice discount:

• A Mt Rose unlimited. This is a long trip from home (3h 30m) but I get 1 hour privates for 39 + tip. And I have been working with a great instructor there, I'd love to keep doing that. And I love the hill, the way it's run, the easy parking.
  • A Sugar Bowl slightly limited. This is super convenient (2h 45m). Also easy parking, not very crowded, nice terrain.

This is a nice combo, but but ... here is the deail. Sugar Bowl closes early, because of low altitude. Mt rose closes late, even when they still have snow, just because nobody shows up :nono:. At that point, Squaw is still open. So, I wind up going a couple trips, and blowing some money in day tickets. LOVE the terrain there.

Now, it seems like I should keep the Rose pass (that's almost a given) and get an Ikon this spring instead of SB, and do Squawlpine. But the crowds at Squaw can be terrible for what I hear. Also, not only it's 20 minutes further, and if you add the 15 minute-gondola (funi), it's not too different than going extra 45 minutes from SB and parking and skiing right off at Rose.Is Alpine easier to park and ride? Never been there. Other thoughts?

Outside of this area, given that my wife doesn't ski, we rarely go to other places, so the ikon very many locations matter little, sigh. Oh well, any thoughts are appreciated!

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems like Rose + Ikon might be what you end you with. Thisc season will have squaw open deep into spring. Get the next season pass, start skiing Squaw/Alpine from April 8th and your can easily break even this season itself.

I'm almost tempted to get ikon every other season since most of my squaw asking is April+ anyway.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Seems like Rose + Ikon might be what you end you with. Thisc season will have squaw open deep into spring. Get the next season pass, start skiing Squaw/Alpine from April 8th and your can easily break even this season itself.

I'm almost tempted to get ikon every other season since most of my squaw asking is April+ anyway.
And don't forget Mammoth.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Coming late to this discussion .... thread hijack in progress [apology implied ;-]....

I'm in a similar situation with the Rose pass. That said, the near 100% increase from last season on the Rose premier (unlimited), is giving me pause.
I've got a family of 2 adults and 2 kids and we love Rose, but given that the price is now near (with 15%) of the destination resorts, it's probably time for us to switch.
We like to stay in Incline for school holiday trips (2-4 days) - thus the need for unlimited. I'll do occasional (2-4/season) day trips to KW with get a buddy pass.

As mentioned in the Tahoe thread, it doesn't look like the Rose next year season prices are going to drop further this season [aka. be (family) friendly again], so will probably visit Alpine/Squaw at least one day next week to see if we like it enough to commit for the season.

Yes, have visited N* before and the parking/walking through the village just makes that even more painful to consider.
Have wondered about Sugar Bowl... but my experience there has been on zoo days and the parking was a nightmare.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Coming late to this discussion .... thread hijack in progress [apology implied ;-]....

I'm in a similar situation with the Rose pass. That said, the near 100% increase from last season on the Rose premier (unlimited), is giving me pause.
I've got a family of 2 adults and 2 kids and we love Rose, but given that the price is now near (with 15%) of the destination resorts, it's probably time for us to switch.
We like to stay in Incline for school holiday trips (2-4 days) - thus the need for unlimited. I'll do occasional (2-4/season) day trips to KW with get a buddy pass.

As mentioned in the Tahoe thread, it doesn't look like the Rose next year season prices are going to drop further this season [aka. be (family) friendly again], so will probably visit Alpine/Squaw at least one day next week to see if we like it enough to commit for the season.

Yes, have visited N* before and the parking/walking through the village just makes that even more painful to consider.
Have wondered about Sugar Bowl... but my experience there has been on zoo days and the parking was a nightmare.

I am also like you, Paul. Would be my first season in a while not having a Rose pass. Any word on pricing in Spring? Is it coming down to the usual? I know @marjoram_sage is on the same boat.

I will ask my insiders ...

Paul, hopefully I can give you a Sugarbowl tours if it all works out. I have 50% off buddy tickets

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
2-3 seasons ago.. Rose price dropped at the end of March to capture the Spring Breakers. All I remember that season is that during March I was thinking, I can't do Rose again.
The last (couple of) year(s), haven't seen that drop at the end of March. So, I'm conditioned to not expect it now.

@Mendieta I could be talked into a day trip to SB the next few weekends ;-)

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
if lessons are your thing, alpines unlim.group lessons for $999, but id imagine may odten turn into privates for int. and adv.

missing question is what is uour travel/lodging situation. Logistics there can make or break the plan, esp. with squaw traffic

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am also like you, Paul. Would be my first season in a while not having a Rose pass. Any word on pricing in Spring? Is it coming down to the usual? I know @marjoram_sage is on the same boat.

Paul, hopefully I can give you a Sugarbowl tours if it all works out. I have 50% off buddy tickets
We should know the Rose pass prices (not the double downs) on 4/4 according to an email response I got from them. Hold out for a few more days before making decisions.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I do wish Rose had a shuttle.
From where? They do have one that goes from Slide to Rose though I've never needed it. You might if you get caught on the wrong side of the mountain during a wind hold on the two to-the-top lifts.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Tough call; I finally broke down and got the IKON for spring skiing at Squalpine and Mammoth, plus Sugarbowl, and am still waffling on renewing Rose. This year I didn't use my Rose pass that much, but the previous year with all the early warm storms it was money. Guessing next season's weather just makes my brain hurt.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Mendieta and @marjoram_sage

Ticket prices came out today. You have to admit that, for a renewal, the prices aren't horrible. (Would I have said that 3 years ago?)

GUARANTEED LOWEST PASS RATES
Save up to $100 When You Renew Before the End of This Season!

mail

Scheduled last day of the season: Sunday, April 28

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Mendieta and @marjoram_sage

Ticket prices came out today. You have to admit that, for a renewal, the prices aren't horrible. (Would I have said that 3 years ago?)

GUARANTEED LOWEST PASS RATES
Save up to $100 When You Renew Before the End of This Season!

mail

Scheduled last day of the season: Sunday, April 28

I guess a 25% increase is better than a 95% increase, but ....ouch....
I find myself wishing my family could make use of IKON. But, many members are struggling on piste blues still.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess a 25% increase is better than a 95% increase, but ....ouch....
I find myself wishing my family could make use of IKON. But, many members are struggling on piste blues still.
I thought I paid about that much last year. I'll have to dig it up in the files and see what it was because I just can't recall.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Ok, thank you all for the help, I am set!

I got the Ikon Base and already skied alpine once this spring. Sugar Bowl is about to close, and as much as I like the place, Squawlpine is just a slightly longer drive, with a much longer season. I got there before 8 am even without trying hard, and got one of the first spots on the Alpine parking lot. Plenty of time to get my Ikon, breakfast, and meet with @textrovert and @oldfashoned . I will very likely renew Rose, mostly to take Lessons with @Mark Downing , also to enjoy the early season wrod and the lovely community.

Kudos to Alpine to give discount to Ikon passholders at the Cafe. Like many said here, Alpine has this ski area / mom and pops feel, with a lot of terrain, and none of the attitude. GREAT place.

Last edited:

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Kudos to Alpine to give discount to Ikon passholders at the Cafe. Like many said here, Alpine has this ski area / mom and pops feel, with a lot of terrain, and none of the attitude. GREAT place.

The resort-owned food services at Squaw all offer Ikon discounts, as does the demo shop. There’s a list on the Squaw/Alpine website if you poke around a little.

Sponsor