California/Nevada Please help me figure my 2019/2020 passes

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by Mendieta, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Mendieta

Mendieta Master of Snowplow Moderator

Hey all. My current pass situation is almost ideal. I get two passes in the spring at a pretty nice discount:

• A Mt Rose unlimited. This is a long trip from home (3h 30m) but I get 1 hour privates for 39 + tip. And I have been working with a great instructor there, I'd love to keep doing that. And I love the hill, the way it's run, the easy parking.
    • A Sugar Bowl slightly limited. This is super convenient (2h 45m). Also easy parking, not very crowded, nice terrain.

This is a nice combo, but but ... here is the deail. Sugar Bowl closes early, because of low altitude. Mt rose closes late, even when they still have snow, just because nobody shows up :nono:. At that point, Squaw is still open. So, I wind up going a couple trips, and blowing some money in day tickets. LOVE the terrain there.

Now, it seems like I should keep the Rose pass (that's almost a given) and get an Ikon this spring instead of SB, and do Squawlpine. But the crowds at Squaw can be terrible for what I hear. Also, not only it's 20 minutes further, and if you add the 15 minute-gondola (funi), it's not too different than going extra 45 minutes from SB and parking and skiing right off at Rose.Is Alpine easier to park and ride? Never been there. Other thoughts?

Outside of this area, given that my wife doesn't ski, we rarely go to other places, so the ikon very many locations matter little, sigh. Oh well, any thoughts are appreciated!

marjoram_sage likes this.
  2. textrovert

textrovert Reelin' in the years Skier

Seems like Rose + Ikon might be what you end you with. Thisc season will have squaw open deep into spring. Get the next season pass, start skiing Squaw/Alpine from April 8th and your can easily break even this season itself.

I'm almost tempted to get ikon every other season since most of my squaw asking is April+ anyway.

3. Philpug

Philpug Enjoying being back on two skis. Admin Pugski Ski Tester

And don't forget Mammoth.

luliski, socalgal and textrovert like this.
  4. Pequenita

Pequenita Out on the slopes Skier

Didn’t you ask the same question last year? :) Rose + Ikon base may make a lot of sense. Btw, if you take squaw one up instead of the funi, it seems shorter mentally...

socalgal and textrovert like this.
  5. textrovert

textrovert Reelin' in the years Skier

@Tricia just posted Squaw/Alpine officially extending season to July 7th.

You probably have your answer right there :roflmao:

luliski likes this.

6. marjoram_sage

marjoram_sage newly addicted to skiing Skier

Planning to do Rose + Ikon base as well. I do wish Rose had a shuttle.

Mendieta and textrovert like this.