Plate Mounting Question

Discussion in 'Hardgoods: Skis, Bindings, Poles, and More' started by Dakine, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Dakine

Dakine Getting off the lift Skier

I'm about to have two new pair of skis mounted with Marker 10mm Piston Plates for Excel 16 Race bindings.
    The skis are Blossom White Outs in 170 and 176.
    My question is the Marker plates can be mounted for three different flex settings.
    The options are soft slalom, hard slalom and GS.
    Since I'm old and feeble, I think I should have them both mounted as soft slaloms.
    The 170's are 14m and the 176's are 15m.
    I told my wife I need these skis so I can ski at a more appropriate speed for my age.
    She took one look at them and didn't believe me.
    Any advice on the marker plate setup would be appreciated.
    White Out.jpg

2. Thread Starter
    TS
    Dakine

Apparently this question is either too obscure or top secret race setup information.
    The page from the Marker Technical Manual is attached for your viewing pleasure.
    I'm using the softest setup with four gliding bushings.
    After I ski these things a bit maybe I will know enough to change to a stiffer mount.
    This flex adjustability of the Marker Piston Plate is one more reason to buy flat skis if carving is your thing.
    I expect that, at the highest levels, folks mess with this setting all the time to fine tune their setup.
    Marker Plate Setup.jpg

3. Thread Starter
    TS
    Dakine

I posted the setup for GS/SG/DH which involves a different front hole position.
    Here is the SL setup page.

Marker Plate Setup SL.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Karl B

Karl B USSA L100 Skier

Actually I am curious why you feel you need Excel 16s? At my advanced age I ski at DIN 9 on my GS boards and DIN 7 on my teaching skis. I would rather release than lose a knee. I definitely don't heal as quickly as I did 40 years ago.

Dakine likes this.
  5. Thread Starter
    TS
    Dakine

They go 6-16 and I set them at 7.5 to 8 but often loan my skis to some bigger guys who need more.

6. Dwight

Dwight Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid Admin Moderator

Dakine likes this.
  7. Philpug

Philpug Enjoying being back on two skis. Admin Pugski Ski Tester

It is a better built binding. His is buying a better housing, not just a better spring.

I think you are on the right track with the soft slalom set up.

Dakine likes this.
  8. ScotsSkier

ScotsSkier USSA Coach Pugski Ski Tester Industry Insider

Plus you get much better elasticity/ return to center running a high din binding at a low din setting...

Dakine likes this.
  9. ScotsSkier

To the OP. Personally all mine have been mounted in the GS position from the factory, including some slalom skis.....as to the flex element I have to admit to having never played about with it! I knew it was there from the tech manual but never bother3s to change it form the factory setting!,

Unless you really want to be trying to ski these in 10 m. Slalom turns I would mount in the GS position. Or maybe mount the 14 m in the slalom setting and teh16 m in the GS position.

Dakine likes this.
  10. Thread Starter
    TS
    Dakine

Thanks all for the input.
    Now I'm totally curious to see if I can tell the difference between the different settings.
    By the end of the season maybe I will know more............stay tuned.
    I chose the soft slalom setting because I'm only about 30% as strong as the World Cup beasts these plates are designed for.
    As far as the bindings are concerned, once I had both the Excel 12's and Excel 16's in my hand the choice was obvious.
    Plus, I liked the color scheme of the 16's better and you all know how important that is.

11. Karl B

Karl B USSA L100 Skier

Thank you. I learned something new today.

Karl

12. Mike C

Mike C At the base lodge Skier

I have an older version of the Marker WC PC Interface Plate. Not compatible with the XCell bindings because they lack the additional holes for the 4 screw toe piece.

Question: can I have these plates drilled for the two additional holes needed for the new XCell Binding toe piece?
    The newer version of the interface ( the black one) is backwards compatible with the older Comp Bindings as well as the XCell whereas the older (red) are compatible only with the Comp’s. The heel pattern are identical.

I’ll t BD1B1705-33E0-4393-90B1-EDAADD0FE6E6.png D4434574-9DB7-45C7-8D23-ADF6D0B346B7.png

13. Philpug

Philpug Enjoying being back on two skis. Admin Pugski Ski Tester

Can you? Yes. ;) Should you? Well...actually honestly, there is very little force on those front screws. I can't tell you you should or shouldn't but if I was just using these as a rec ski and not in a race course, I would...YMMV.

14. Mike C

The existing holes have metal topsheet, so i think if i drill and the metal topsheet is there, I would be good.

Thanks.

15. cantunamunch

cantunamunch Meh Skier

But you would be missing the metal corner clamps in that zone - it remains a judgment call.

16. ScotsSkier

NO! (at least not if you want the toe piece to be held by 4 screws!) and here is why

jitreKkyRPS9Jtz44TQDqA.jpg

As you can see the existing holes are anchored with a metal plate and an extra layer of plastic. Where you would have to drill the additional holes for the Xcel all you have to hold the screws is <1/8 inch of plastic, at a narrower part of the plate without the reinforcing ribs at the predrilled position. The later plate is a completely different design in this area, with a different mounting plate. It is also thinner (10mm v. 14mm stand height) and has the metal reinforcing for the screw mounts extending to all the predrilled holes. It is NOT just the older plate with extra holes.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018 at 12:33 PM
    cantunamunch likes this.
  17. Mike C

Thanks ScotsSkier. That would likely have ended badly.
    I really appreciate your help and this photo!!!