• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Plate Mounting Question

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
I'm about to have two new pair of skis mounted with Marker 10mm Piston Plates for Excel 16 Race bindings.
The skis are Blossom White Outs in 170 and 176.
My question is the Marker plates can be mounted for three different flex settings.
The options are soft slalom, hard slalom and GS.
Since I'm old and feeble, I think I should have them both mounted as soft slaloms.
The 170's are 14m and the 176's are 15m.
I told my wife I need these skis so I can ski at a more appropriate speed for my age.
She took one look at them and didn't believe me.
Any advice on the marker plate setup would be appreciated.
White Out.jpg

TS
D

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Apparently this question is either too obscure or top secret race setup information.
The page from the Marker Technical Manual is attached for your viewing pleasure.
I'm using the softest setup with four gliding bushings.
After I ski these things a bit maybe I will know enough to change to a stiffer mount.
This flex adjustability of the Marker Piston Plate is one more reason to buy flat skis if carving is your thing.
I expect that, at the highest levels, folks mess with this setting all the time to fine tune their setup.
Marker Plate Setup.jpg

TS
D

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
I posted the setup for GS/SG/DH which involves a different front hole position.
Here is the SL setup page.

Marker Plate Setup SL.jpg

Attachments

• Marker Plate Setup SL.jpg
    Marker Plate Setup SL.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 452

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
Actually I am curious why you feel you need Excel 16s? At my advanced age I ski at DIN 9 on my GS boards and DIN 7 on my teaching skis. I would rather release than lose a knee. I definitely don't heal as quickly as I did 40 years ago.

TS
D

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
They go 6-16 and I set them at 7.5 to 8 but often loan my skis to some bigger guys who need more.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Actually I am curious why you feel you need Excel 16s? At my advanced age I ski at DIN 9 on my GS boards and DIN 7 on my teaching skis. I would rather release than lose a knee. I definitely don't heal as quickly as I did 40 years ago.
It is a better built binding. His is buying a better housing, not just a better spring.

I think you are on the right track with the soft slalom set up.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
To the OP. Personally all mine have been mounted in the GS position from the factory, including some slalom skis.....as to the flex element I have to admit to having never played about with it! I knew it was there from the tech manual but never bother3s to change it form the factory setting!,

Unless you really want to be trying to ski these in 10 m. Slalom turns I would mount in the GS position. Or maybe mount the 14 m in the slalom setting and teh16 m in the GS position.

TS
D

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Thanks all for the input.
Now I'm totally curious to see if I can tell the difference between the different settings.
By the end of the season maybe I will know more............stay tuned.
I chose the soft slalom setting because I'm only about 30% as strong as the World Cup beasts these plates are designed for.
As far as the bindings are concerned, once I had both the Excel 12's and Excel 16's in my hand the choice was obvious.
Plus, I liked the color scheme of the 16's better and you all know how important that is.

Mike C

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I have an older version of the Marker WC PC Interface Plate. Not compatible with the XCell bindings because they lack the additional holes for the 4 screw toe piece.

Question: can I have these plates drilled for the two additional holes needed for the new XCell Binding toe piece?
The newer version of the interface ( the black one) is backwards compatible with the older Comp Bindings as well as the XCell whereas the older (red) are compatible only with the Comp’s. The heel pattern are identical.

I’ll t
BD1B1705-33E0-4393-90B1-EDAADD0FE6E6.png
D4434574-9DB7-45C7-8D23-ADF6D0B346B7.png

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Question: can I have these plates drilled for the two additional holes needed for the new XCell Binding toe piece?
Can you? Yes. ;) Should you? Well...actually honestly, there is very little force on those front screws. I can't tell you you should or shouldn't but if I was just using these as a rec ski and not in a race course, I would...YMMV.

Mike C

Skier
The existing holes have metal topsheet, so i think if i drill and the metal topsheet is there, I would be good.

Thanks.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
NO! (at least not if you want the toe piece to be held by 4 screws!) and here is why

jitreKkyRPS9Jtz44TQDqA.jpg

As you can see the existing holes are anchored with a metal plate and an extra layer of plastic. Where you would have to drill the additional holes for the Xcel all you have to hold the screws is <1/8 inch of plastic, at a narrower part of the plate without the reinforcing ribs at the predrilled position. The later plate is a completely different design in this area, with a different mounting plate. It is also thinner (10mm v. 14mm stand height) and has the metal reinforcing for the screw mounts extending to all the predrilled holes. It is NOT just the older plate with extra holes.

Last edited:

Mike C

Skier
Thanks ScotsSkier. That would likely have ended badly.
I really appreciate your help and this photo!!!

dave g

Booting up
Skier
NO! (at least not if you want the toe piece to be held by 4 screws!) and here is why

View attachment 58050

As you can see the existing holes are anchored with a metal plate and an extra layer of plastic. Where you would have to drill the additional holes for the Xcel all you have to hold the screws is <1/8 inch of plastic, at a narrower part of the plate without the reinforcing ribs at the predrilled position. The later plate is a completely different design in this area, with a different mounting plate. It is also thinner (10mm v. 14mm stand height) and has the metal reinforcing for the screw mounts extending to all the predrilled holes. It is NOT just the older plate with extra holes.
Are you able to change the mounting position of the ski boot easily? I would like to move my mounting position forward 1 cm and am unsure if this is an easy fix or does it involve a complete remount of the plate/binding. I have the same plate and x cell 16(2018). Thanks. Dave

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Are you able to change the mounting position of the ski boot easily? I would like to move my mounting position forward 1 cm and am unsure if this is an easy fix or does it involve a complete remount of the plate/binding. I have the same plate and x cell 16(2018). Thanks. Dave

It depends on the boot size and where it is currently mounted. There are 3 positions for the toe piece, 10 mm apart. The recommended position for a BSL 275-320 is the rearmost front hole. If your BSL is 295 or bigger you can move it forward 1 or 2 positions and also move the heel forward the same number of positions. If your BSL is 285, you can only move to the center front hole. If you are >330 BSL you may already be in the forward front holes. If you are ina more normal BSL range Say 295-320 then you should have some options. The holes are predrilled and tapped so it is a simple process

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
So I'm trying to move a pair of older pistons. I have all the screws out, plate slides back an 1/8" then hits a stop. Is there something I am missing to release the plate or does I just need a little more force like a rubber hammer? Is that little silver circle a release button?

Sponsor

Staff online