• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Plans for a DIY Boot and Glove Dryer

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I think I would get some pushback around here if I put a boot dryer over the heat register. Plus, what I would I do in the spring?
The ski patrol at a mountain I worked at had a dryer made from a long piece of 6 inch PVC pipe tied in to the building heating system. They drilled 1 inch holes in the pipe to hold soft vinyl flexible tubes, without any other fittings. It disrupted the whole HVAC balance. Some rooms were cold, others crazy hot, and the lunch room smelled like boots in the spring.
The ski school had a similar dryer, but it had its own fan at on end of the PVC pipe and a plug at the other. The whole thing was plugged into a simple wall timer. It ran a couple of hours every night and worked great, better than the dryer I got as a gift years ago. You could scale that up for dozens of boots/gloves.
If I didn't need to dry more than a couple of pairs, I would use a cheap plastic toolbox for the plenum. I don't have the fabricating skills to actually build a wooden box.

dm

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Seems like a worthwhile project for a ski house. I agree with Dave that it would be best to go the extra mile and include the dedicated fan rather than covering the floor or wall vent with it. Maybe even a very small space heater fan blowing in to it,, but at a safe distance so as not to get too hot. A dryer exhaust extension might work for that..

James

Out There
Instructor
I think I would get some pushback around here if I put a boot dryer over the heat register. Plus, what I would I do in the spring?
The ski patrol at a mountain I worked at had a dryer made from a long piece of 6 inch PVC pipe tied in to the building heating system. They drilled 1 inch holes in the pipe to hold soft vinyl flexible tubes, without any other fittings. It disrupted the whole HVAC balance. Some rooms were cold, others crazy hot, and the lunch room smelled like boots in the spring.
The ski school had a similar dryer, but it had its own fan at on end of the PVC pipe and a plug at the other. The whole thing was plugged into a simple wall timer. It ran a couple of hours every night and worked great, better than the dryer I got as a gift years ago. You could scale that up for dozens of boots/gloves.
If I didn't need to dry more than a couple of pairs, I would use a cheap plastic toolbox for the plenum. I don't have the fabricating skills to actually build a wooden box.

dm
Our Ski school has a wall like that. We call it the wall of stench.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
If your using a DIY boot dryer at home why not hook it up to the exhaust of a shop vacuum, most can be reversed and hey put out a large volume air. It would be difficult for trips but for home use it would be using something most of us already have.

lone pine

Getting on the lift
Skier
Here is a home made system I devised with 4" PVC, a surplus Vermont Castings fan motor, and dishwasher exhaust tubing from Lowes. Took years to find the scuba-like hose, so I had used clear plastic instead. Works great blowing workshop air into the boots.
P1040629.JPG
P1040630.JPG
P1040631.JPG

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
A friend of mine built a small dryer that they hung on the locker door (Mammoth main lodge) and just pushed air through the boots. They were powered by a small 9V fan (with the usual 9V battery), feeding air through a couple of 1/2" (IIRC) PCV pipes with a 90 degree bend on the end to direct the air towards the toes of the boots. She'd put them in the locker at the end of the day and they would be nice and dry the next morning!

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Simple question, is your home forced air heated. If it is Homedepot in Canada sells a simple rack that fits over the vent to push hot air into the boots shoes gloves for about $10.00, alternately you can make on with some PVC pipe and Plywood cheap, no fan need as you used the forced air heating.

No forced air heating well, too bad, you're in for the more expensive options.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Simple question, is your home forced air heated. If it is Homedepot in Canada sells a simple rack that fits over the vent to push hot air into the boots shoes gloves for about $10.00, alternately you can make on with some PVC pipe and Plywood cheap, no fan need as you used the forced air heating.
That's just a bad idea. For one thing it will disrupt the house heating system, especially if you put it near the thermostat. For anther it won't run very long in the spring months when you need the dryer the most. It's way better to have a low volume of air for a long time that a high volume for several short times.

This one is way better:
Here is a home made system I devised with 4" PVC, a surplus Vermont Castings fan motor, and dishwasher exhaust tubing from Lowes. Took years to find the scuba-like hose, so I had used clear plastic instead. Works great blowing workshop air into the boots. View attachment 19040

YOu can scale that up to dry as many boots as you need. We had one like that at a ski area where I worked that held 20 pairs. It might even be cheaper if you use a plastic box from Harbor Freight for the plenum, and flexible PVC tubing. If you build one put a fuse on it somewhere, and a timer.

dm
dm

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That's just a bad idea. For one thing it will disrupt the house heating system, especially if you put it near the thermostat. For anther it won't run very long in the spring months when you need the dryer the most. It's way better to have a low volume of air for a long time that a high volume for several short times.

This one is way better:

YOu can scale that up to dry as many boots as you need. We had one like that at a ski area where I worked that held 20 pairs. It might even be cheaper if you use a plastic box from Harbor Freight for the plenum, and flexible PVC tubing. If you build one put a fuse on it somewhere, and a timer.

dm
dm
Strange, I've been doing it that way for years without issues in different houses, ranging from 1,200 sqft to 2,800 sqft multi level homes and only one furnace/thermostat.

One trick is smart thermostats that circulate the air to reduce the heating/cooling bill. These settings run the fan without heat or a/c but allow the air preventing hot/cold spots.

The second issue is most have humidifiers on their heating systems (great marketing) as a result most houses have too high a humidity level both summer and winter resulting in higher energy bills. Humans and their activities generate a lot of humidity. In most cases more than these systems can remove so no need to add more.

Generally if your thermostat is that close to a heat/cooling vent/return, it's been improperly located and definitely will cause issues with or without boots sitting over it.

Another issue you mention is that it is high heat, it shouldn't be, it should be comfortable. Again this indicates a poorly sized system.

Late spring as mentioned, if your system is working properly, when need most for drying, by morning boots are dry.

One final note, most vents have controls on the to reduce airflow, use as required.

I live in Canada and have lived with forced air for over 50 years.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Just buy one of these. Cheaper and quicker than making it yourself.
That's still a kluge. You're using a 150,000 BTU furnace and a 1/4 hp motor to do the job you could do better with 10w fan.

dm

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
That's still a kluge. You're using a 150,000 BTU furnace and a 1/4 hp motor to do the job you could do better with 10w fan.

dm
I don't turn on the furnace just to dry boots. The furnace is on to heat the house anyway. No disruption to airflow or HVAC. However that is in a big house with at least 15 vents so maybe that would upset a smaller system.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
A couple of things to keep in mind: Moisture moves from wetter to drier. Moisture moves from warmer to cooler (thus from warmed boots to cool room air). Hot air rises (your boss's office is on a higher floor than yours).

So--plenty of air circulation is good. Give the air leaving the boots or gloves a good space to get our; don't restrict its exit. Warmth is good; too hot may do damage. Use air sources that are designed for run time in hours, not minutes. Amazon and others have 115 volt or 120 volt boxer or muffin fans for $20 or less. The bigger the fan the slower thus quieter it can run and still put out a lot of air. Put a grille on the fan to keep fingers out of the blades.