• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I've been teaching at Bromley for 2 seasons now. Prior to this I was teaching at Butternut in Western Mass for a couple years.

We have a friend who's a snowboard instructor at Magic, who has a condo there as well and he's really trying hard to get me to teach at Magic next season. I'm in love with this mountain and it would be the utmost convenience to be able to roll out the front door and ski to work. However, it's not just as simple as my deciding to swtich from Bromley to Magic and my decision affects other people.

I'm torn because I enjoy teaching at Bromley, love how they run our ski school. That said Billy, my boss is planning some changes to the scheule and stuff like that and until I know if that will work fo rme I'm thinking hmmmm Magic, maybe that will work. Early bird season passes are going on sale at Magic and do I buy a pass now if I might work at Magic and get a pass for free??????? My SO and our friend work at Bromely as courtesy staff and will be doing it next season as well. We have a friend buying a condo in our building at Magic who's interested in courtesy staff at Bromley.

Might do courtesy staff at Bromley with the gang as it's only 3 three and half hour shifs a month for free skiing priveleges, this will free me up to perhaps teach at Magic. I ski primarily at these 2 places anyway. The current arrangement at Bromley is I teach, get Michael his pass and he shares courtesy duties with Tracey at Bromley. Now that Jen is interested in perhaps doing courtesy at Bromley I started thinking about how to craft next season so that everyone is happy. I don't want to leave anyone in a lurch but I'm trying to see if I can pull off teaching at Magic and working at Bromley.

I've preliminarily talked to Tracey and our friend Jen about this and everyone seems to be game. I'm going to have a discussion with Stan, my friend at Magic this weekend. I need to pick his brain on how the ski school is run so that I know if this will work.

I don't want ot leave my boss at Bromley in a lurch but we have quite a few instructors so it's not like I'm leaving them with noone. With my foot being what it is I can't teach multiple full days (4-5 days) in a row so just trying to work something out that make the most sense.

I guess not looking for any advise or what not. Just thinking about my own situation for next season and I was wondering anyone is making plans or thinking about making any changes to their 2019-2020 season.

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lots for you to think about. Good luck with the decision. As for me, my only plans are to ski more days if possible.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Part of me is leaning towards staying at bromley. They are very good to me in every way. Will still talk to stan at Magic about whats happening next season. Teaching there is definitely on the future radar. I will at a minimum get another season pass next season. Will spread bromley days out more so i can have a more even split in teaching at bromley and skiing magic. Will have talks with bromley boss and friend at nagic to see what the proposed changes are for the coming season. Learned we can get jen a pass without her having to do courtesy so my actions really dont affect others.

James

Out There
Instructor
Are there any lessons at Magic?
Could be slim pickens.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I'm planing to work on leg strength for the 2020 season.

Those shouldered bundles of boo seem to get heavier each year.

:)

OT , I know, offered in jest and perspective.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Are there any lessons at Magic?
Could be slim pickens.

Could be. My understanding is they have about 10 instructors. My friend who's teaches snowboarding mostly has "privates" because they just don't have the volume to have a group lesson. I'd be ok with this if it meant I got to ski more. I talked about this with Michael last night and he's worried teaching at Magic would hurt my foot even more because of the train limitations for true beginners. I'd really be stuck on the magic carpet or walking up to the bottom of hocus pocus. Really only options for a higher level green would be the green chair to the lower magic carpet run and this will only be a small escalon of the folks that will be ready for this when they take a lesson. I'm very lucky at Bromley as I get to teach a fair amount of higher level green level skiers so I get to ski with my lessons quite a bit, we'll get off the carpet and hit the chair 6 or even green terrain off the mid mountain chair. I'd get a lot less of this at Magic. Other things I like about teaching at bromley is I swipe my card and can see my schedule for the day, they keep class sizes small and I never have a group more than 4 and I get a mixture of privates and groups with varied green level skiers. My boss at Bromley knows of my foot issue so they'll keep doing a good job of keeping my lessons varied in scope. I will still have conversations with Billy at Bromley and Stan at Magic as I'd love to know more about next years plans. Perhaps I could help out here and there at Magic. I'd love to just teach in the am so that I can ski in the afternoons.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Most mountains in the east have huge peaks and valleys in demand for lessons. Staffing the holiday peaks are a problem. Maybe you can stay at Bromley and then also fill in at Magic during peak holidays.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Most mountains in the east have huge peaks and valleys in demand for lessons. Staffing the holiday peaks are a problem. Maybe you can stay at Bromley and then also fill in at Magic during peak holidays.

I'm definitely considering this. If I do this at Magic it'll give me an eye into how they run their ski school. That's what I did my first season at Bromley and it worked out great.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you're instructing mostly for the pass then maybe it depends on where you want to ski. Sounds like you like skiing at Bromley and your friends will still ski there. But, it would be nice to wake up and ski to work rather than drive.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
If you're instructing mostly for the pass then maybe it depends on where you want to ski. Sounds like you like skiing at Bromley and your friends will still ski there. But, it would be nice to wake up and ski to work rather than drive.

Magic and Bromley are my 2 home mountains and I ski both quite a bit. I instruct for a lot of reasons; love teaching new and newer skiers, love those ah ha moments, I get a lot of satisfaction from this. I also love the free training. Bromley for example requires us to have 3 clinic days before they put us in the rotation. My skiing has improved thenfold in recent years. This gives Bromley an edge because they are organized in this aspect. Magic's ski school is way smaller. My friends ski at Magic too so I'd still get to see them. That said I dream of just skiing out the front door and down to the chair and when I'm not working and I get to free ski at Magic and do this it's the best thing ever. I have to be at Bromley between 810 and 830 every day I'm working and it would be so much nicer to slide down the hill out of the condo.................. Bromley is only about 10 miles down the road so I really can't complain.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So many tough decisions to make. We've been looking at different places to buy depending on where we want to ski, travel time, taxes/fees, and general vibe. We like the portability of Ikon so would like a place that is rentable. For example if we want to visit my sister in CO we could rent our place to cover the lodging costs.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
So many tough decisions to make. We've been looking at different places to buy depending on where we want to ski, travel time, taxes/fees, and general vibe. We like the portability of Ikon so would like a place that is rentable. For example if we want to visit my sister in CO we could rent our place to cover the lodging costs.

All those things are so important. Especially vibe, it has to work for you. That was part of the appeal of where we bought. It's sent up to be rented as it has the programmable keypad on door so a key's not needed. Our plan is to throw it up on air bnb and rent it out ideally during the christmas and presidents break. We will just stay down the road with our friend Tracey. Nice part is you have total control over when it's rented out. You get a request through Air BNB and if you are planning to be there that weekend you refuse the rental. Seems like an easy way to cover some of the HOA fees and taxes.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I bought at Killington 20 years ago and been in their rental program the entire time. Go to Colorado every February for 3 weeks and rent in VT covers rent in CO. Works well.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It’s never a bad thing to look for a new & better situation. That said, I’m also not a big fan of fixing what’s not broken or in your case, what’s already going pretty well.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
It’s never a bad thing to look for a new & better situation. That said, I’m also not a big fan of fixing what’s not broken or in your case, what’s already going pretty well.

That was basically the gist of my conversation with my SO last night. I was so enamored at the fact that I love Magic and can ski out the front door that I was forgetting about all the things I like and are good in teaching at Bromley. I can still work at Bromley and still ski out the front door at Magic on the days that I'm not working. I can still possibly help out at Magic and stuff like that but Michael gently helped remind me about all great things about working at Bromley.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That was basically the gist of my conversation with my SO last night. I was so enamored at the fact that I love Magic and can ski out the front door that I was forgetting about all the things I like and are good in teaching at Bromley. I can still work at Bromley and still ski out the front door at Magic on the days that I'm not working. I can still possibly help out at Magic and stuff like that but Michael gently helped remind me about all great things about working at Bromley.

It looks like a win-win from where I sit.

Sponsor