• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Planning Extended Utah Trip 2021

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
So the wife and I (and dog) are thinking about heading to Utah next year for 3 weeks of skiing. The plan is to stay in the Sandy, Utah area and basically ski LCC and BCC. I'm taking a 5 week sabbatical and we will be driving out from NC. I have found a very reasonable house to rent that is about 20 minutes from Atla/Snowbird and about 30 minutes from Solitude/Brighton, and would love to lock that in soon.

My one burning question right now is will Ikon still have those resorts on the pass? Is there anyway to find out what resorts will be on the pass for next year?

TonyPlush

Getting off the lift
Skier
My one burning question right now is will Ikon still have those resorts on the pass? Is there anyway to find out what resorts will be on the pass for next year?
To answer your question, no, I'm not aware of any way to find out exactly which resorts will be on the pass next year.

That said, I wouldn't worry about it, TBH, and I'd be shocked if those resorts aren't on the Ikon pass next here. Here's why...

The company that owns the Ikon pass (Alterra) owns Solitude. So at the very least, you're guaranteed Solitude will be on the pass.

Brighton always seems to go wherever Solitude goes, since there's too much to be gained from their interconnection. So if Solitude is guaranteed Ikon, Brighton should be too.

As far as Alta/Bird, I suppose it's possible they could leave. I seriously doubt that though. Those two mountains are arguably Ikon's biggest draw. Since Ikon relies so heavily on them to help sell Ikon passes and compete with Epic, I think Ikon would do whatever they could to preserve that relationship. I also haven't heard the Ikon backlash from those resorts that you've heard elsewhere, so it's not like tensions are bubbling over or anything. I suppose some locals would know this better than me though.

Plus, you could always: a) Ski Deer Valley, which is also owned by Altera and would only be 15 minutes further from your Sandy house than Solitude/Brighton is. b) Get a Ski City Super pass which is $1,000 for 10 days at Alta/Snowbird/Brighton/Solitude c) Get an unlimited pass to Alta for $1,000 or $750 for midweek d) unlimited pass to Snowbird for $1,200 e) Mountain Collective pass f) etc. g) etc.

All that said, Ikon began selling this year's pass on March 5 last year. So if you're really worried about it, you could just wait 1-2 weeks to book your place.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It is very unlikely things will reduce next season, with a new product to go up against epic they need to promote stability, so the rumors were the initial contracts were at least 3years.
The plans and point of the new multipass model are all multiyear plans to smooth things out over good/bad seasons and geography. it doesn't make sense that they'd be on a single year contract esp so soon.

Just wait a few weeks if you are unsure

Last edited:

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
As far as Alta/Bird, I suppose it's possible they could leave. I seriously doubt that though. Those two mountains are arguably Ikon's biggest draw. Since Ikon relies so heavily on them to help sell Ikon passes and compete with Epic, I think Ikon would do whatever they could to preserve that relationship. I also haven't heard the Ikon backlash from those resorts that you've heard elsewhere, so it's not like tensions are bubbling over or anything. I suppose some locals would know this better than me though.

I'm not local but I've have heard plenty of blowback with Ikon and Snowbird/Alta. My knowledge is that the original agreement was 3 years so next year should remain the same as this year. After that who knows? I love the superpasses especially for my own situation but admit they probably should be tweaked with more restrictions if only to limit crowding.

TS
Chip

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for all the responses. Makes sense and good to know that it was probably for 3 years. Very excited for this trip, and just trying to get things figured out sooner rather than later.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
As long as you can get up the canyons. There have been several days this season when the only skiers on the freshies were staying up the canyons because UDOT closed the roads.

TonyPlush

Getting off the lift
Skier
As long as you can get up the canyons. There have been several days this season when the only skiers on the freshies were staying up the canyons because UDOT closed the roads.
I know this is a frequent occurance for LCC, but how often does/has this happened for the BCC road?

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
I know this is a frequent occurance for LCC, but how often does/has this happened for the BCC road?

it's extremely rare in BCC- i have been chasing storms for the last 6 winters in the Cottonwoods and have only seen BCC shut down a handful of times. This year we got stopped in the Canyon for Avy work only for about an hour during the times LCC was interlodged for over 2 days

Sponsor

Staff online