• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC Planning A Heli Trip To Bc

NESkiBum

Booting up
Skier
I am looking to plan a Heli Skiing trip for 5-6 guys to travel to British Columbia and are looking at early March timeframe for the trip. I know it may be a bit late as many book a year in advance. Does anybody have any good recommendations for location and operator to use? We are probably looking for a 5-6 with 3-4 days on snow so options may be limited. Based on this timeframe it looks like Revelstoke may be the best option with CMH or Selkirk Tangiers. I was also looking at Bella Coola and Canadian Heli as other options but think the group size may be a bit big as it seems like these operators would be better for a group of 4. Any insight on planning would be helpful and much appreciated.

Thanks!

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
It really depends on what you're looking for. Glades/trees? Open bowl and glaciers? Down days okay or do you want to ski? Remote lodging that you fly into? How nice are the accommodations? Are you cool with flying in a Bell (7-8 person group) or do you want an A-Star (4 person) heli? Do you want to wait for the slowest in your group or maximize vert? Do you want to make sure the operator has multiple helis in case one breaks down? Coastal Range BC? Powder Highway? Rockies?

If you want to minimize down days, you need to ski in the trees, and go with an operator that has a Cat or a resort near by, and get an operator with an A-Star.

There is a lot to think about when planning a trip like this.

Answer the above questions and I can help you out.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Have Heli skied with RK Heliski at Panorama and would not recommend for what you want. I have friends that have skied with Island Heli out of Fernie and Chatter Creek and had rave reviews. One of them gives you a cat ski alternative if the weather prevents the use of heli, a good idea. Have friends who went heli skiing in Alaska and spent all week in the lodge. Go goggle search Heli ski bc or catski bc and you will get a lot of options you can look at. If you can get reservations early march should be fine.

TS
NESkiBum

NESkiBum

Booting up
Skier
Hey Jed. I know there are lots of things to consider. As for your questions.

Prefer open bowls and glaciers.
Don't want down days since our timeframe is limited.
Remote lodging is okay and would like decent lodging but doesn't need to be the "Ritz".
I would prefer doing a small group but may not be able to as it looks like we have 5-6 guys.
Want to maximize vert. Our group are all of similar ability so waiting hopefully won't an issue but concerned if we go with larger group we may have a problem.

From what I have been reading so far it looks like operators in/around Revelstoke may be best options. Was looking at Selkirk Tangiers and CMH. Also looking at Great Canadian and Bella Coola but look like they fly smaller birds so we would have to be a group of 4.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Jed Peters

Skier
I would do chatter creek, do a 5 day ski trip, and try to schedule 3 of the days in the heli.

Otherwise, I would go to the coast more than powder highway/central BC.....and, if you do that, be prepared for a longer trip, with more sitting around than skiing, and they fly the smaller A-Stars....

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
It really depends on what you're looking for. Glades/trees? Open bowl and glaciers? Down days okay or do you want to ski? Remote lodging that you fly into? How nice are the accommodations? Are you cool with flying in a Bell (7-8 person group) or do you want an A-Star (4 person) heli?...

If you want to minimize down days... get an operator with an A-Star.
FYI, Bell has small ships too... the 407 runs with 4-5 people just like an A-Star. A-Star vs Bell shouldn't dictate your choice... Bell is a make that encompasses numerous size ships and models (407=small, 212=large), whereas the A-Star/AS350 is just one model of Eurocopter.

Jed Peters

Skier
FYI, Bell has small ships too... the 407 runs with 4-5 people just like an A-Star. A-Star vs Bell shouldn't dictate your choice... Bell is a make that encompasses numerous size ships and models (407=small, 212=large), whereas the A-Star/AS350 is just one model of Eurocopter.

I am well aware. However: 1. amongst those that heli ski, the A-Star is widely considered the best, and 2. I did not know that many of the outfitters fly the smaller Bell. Thought they were all the larger ones.

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
I am well aware. However: 1. amongst those that heli ski, the A-Star is widely considered the best, and 2. I did not know that many of the outfitters fly the smaller Bell. Thought they were all the larger ones.
Tons of companies use the 407 in BC (better availability of support I believe with Bells), lots are actually using both 407 and AS.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey Jed. I know there are lots of things to consider. As for your questions.

Prefer open bowls and glaciers.
Don't want down days since our timeframe is limited.
Remote lodging is okay and would like decent lodging but doesn't need to be the "Ritz".
I would prefer doing a small group but may not be able to as it looks like we have 5-6 guys.
Want to maximize vert. Our group are all of similar ability so waiting hopefully won't an issue but concerned if we go with larger group we may have a problem.

From what I have been reading so far it looks like operators in/around Revelstoke may be best options. Was looking at Selkirk Tangiers and CMH. Also looking at Great Canadian and Bella Coola but look like they fly smaller birds so we would have to be a group of 4.

Orthopedic surgeon I ski with has done Selkirk Tangiers twice for multiple days and liked everything. If you would like to talk to him PM me your phone # and I will have him call you.

Kite Pilot

Putting on skis
Skier
One option you might want to consider splitting the group and doing an A Star or 407. The smaller group size can make it a better experience and could give you more options for operators, you'll still see each other at lunch and for fuel runs plus in the evening. Otherwise you'll probably be in a Bell 212 with up to three groups of twelve each. The downside is you might end up with a slow or incompatible skier, but pretty unlikely, most are good skiers and people. Down days are pretty rare in BC if you can ski the trees and there are lots of good tree runs where the trees are more open. To me the A Star is best, the 407 sits three facing front and two rear and is more cramped and harder (slower) to get in to.

It's all good, enjoy!

TS
NESkiBum

NESkiBum

Booting up
Skier
Has anybody done a trip with Great Canadian Heli. Based on what I have seen for our group this may be a really good option but may have to split our group up since they are a small group operator for 4. We are probably looking at 3-4 days heliskiing along with a day at either Kicking Horse or Lake Louise and a day snowmobiling.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
2nd the opinion for tangiers at Revi !
My avatar is from last years trip - 1st rate op. On the day that no one flew ( no viz ) including the private groups, we all got full refunds, lunch and vouchers to revelstoke. Turned out to be a great day to cancel because the mountain resort was getting HAMMERED with 2' feet falling that day and no crowd to track it up.
Stayed at chalet revelstoke and would stay there again without a doubt. She is located right below the Sutton hotel and you ski home. One of our party even left a drawer full of clothing and the owner mailed the box back to the states free of charge. That's First class

Let me know if you would like more info

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
The Op mentioned anticipated booking problems, so another heli operator in the Revelstoke area is Eagle Pass Heliskiing. A friend of mine is a guide there and he says that they rarely get shut down for weather due to their tenure being very diverse and spread out.

Mike Weigele Heliskiing out of Blue River B.C. is worth mentioning again as they are one of the oldest and largest heli operators in N. America. They get a ton of snow there.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Has anybody done a trip with Great Canadian Heli. Based on what I have seen for our group this may be a really good option but may have to split our group up since they are a small group operator for 4. We are probably looking at 3-4 days heliskiing along with a day at either Kicking Horse or Lake Louise and a day snowmobiling.

I skied a week with Great Canadian in 2013. It was their last week of the season & on the warm side. Skied almost exclusively on higher glaciers. It was a great week but many of the runs had long flatfish run outs. The lower elevation tree runs had much steeper terrain & it looked like lots of interesting features to be had when the snow is right. Unlimited vertical, a deeply discounted trip, incredible scenery & only 2 groups for the most part made the mellow glacier runs easier to swallow. We actually skied 42,000' vertical one day which they told me was the biggest of the season.

We had no down days & I think they claim only one or two a season. We did have a short day or 2 because of warm temps.

Accommodations were not spectacular but more than comfortable for me. I believe they have added some cabins to the motel type rooms we stayed in.

I am not a gourmet but the food was. It was some of the best I have ever had! Don't plan on losing any weight ;).

The lodge, dining area & staging area were all very convenient & well appointed. It is only steps from the boot room to the Heli.

They provided skis, mostly Armada JJ's which were pretty similar to the Rossi Super7's that I had at home. I don't think they ever waxed or tuned them but it was all untracked snow, so no big deal.

I was able to fly into Calgary & catch the shuttle to GCH on the same day, arriving at the lodge for dinner. I think it was about 4 hours with amazing vistas most of the way. Being mid April, I think we had daylight the whole way.

Golden & Kicking Horse are very close & Revelstoke is just over Rodgers Pass. Although I didn't ski them on this trip, I have on separate journeys. Kicking Horse terrain is some of my favorite & kicks ass!

I will try to post some pictures when I get to my PC.

I have also skied with CMH Cariboos, Alaska Heliskiing outside of Haines & Wiegle's about 20yrs ago. Also a day at RK & various hitched rides in the lower 48. I've had a few Cat days without great luck.

My CMH trip was on the bigger Heli & retail cost would've been close to half the retail cost of GCH before adding extra vertical. Also mid April, warm & no down days but 2 short ones. Again late season only had 2 groups on the big Heli.

Wiegle's is top notch in all aspects. Just more people.

In this very specialized social setting you will meet mostly amazing people & perhaps a few who will be slightly annoying ;).

AKHeli skied 2.5 out of 5 possible days. Stayed in a cabin with 4 other dudes for $25 a night. No internet, no tv, cooked our own food & heat was from a wood stove. Staging area was a shack next to 33 mile Road House on the Haines Highway. We only paid Hobbs hours for the Heli & had the best (& some of the scariest) runs of my life!

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
GCH Photos:
GCH Day 2 009.JPG

GCH 1 005.JPG

GCH Day 2 026.JPG

GCH Day 5 013.JPG

GCH Day 5 025.JPG

GCH Day 6 007.JPG

JF GCH 2.jpg

photo (2).JPG

photo.JPG

Attachments