• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Any recommendations for a well padded double bag for skis no longer than 175cm? I have a single Sportube but was thinking soft bag this time.

I don't know if they'll ship to the US, or what it would cost, but this is absolutely the best double-ski bag I've ever seen. Well padded on all sides, interior has ski tie-downs on two sides with a thickly padded interior divider. They also make a wheeled version.
https://tanabesports.net/goods_en_usd_12679.html
...and, yeah, carry-on your boots

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Are you planning to fill the big bag with stuff that isn't 'equipment' such as clothing? I have heard stories, nothing confirmed, that if you stuff your clothes in your sports equipment bag(s) you may invalidate the 'sports equipment' exception of two bags for one.

Anyone have any real experience with that?

I have seen this. I've never had a problem even though I've checked a double boot bag and double ski bag as one item, but a friend was flying with us out of O'Hare and went to a different check-in agent. She made him open his boot bag and remove all clothing items (and his helmet) before she'd let him check it as one item. Since then, when I check a boot bag I only put other items below the boots so that isn't an issue. Usually I stow my boots in my carry-on roller bag. They are a perfect fit with everything I need to ski for a couple of days if the rest of the luggage doesn't show (yes that has happened to me).

Zski

Booting up
Instructor
Cheers gang--I have a "Flying With Skis" question for you. Our carrier, Delta, states that you can check a ski bag and a boot bag provided the total weight is under 50lbs (The combo would be billed as one checked bag).

My question--how big a boot bag are they talking here? If you have experience, please check in. I know they won't take a huge boot duffel, but most of our boot bags hold a bit more than boots alone--i.e. the Dakine DLX Backpack style bags.

I would never check my boots
They fit nicely into standard roller bag along with ski pants and everything else you would need for the first day of skiing

Bruuuce

Skier
The most interesting experience I had with this (many years ago) was the one time all of my luggage was lost for a few days and I had to rent everything. I was too inexperienced to know, but when I bought my ski boots, the shop oversized them and they hurt. I just thought ski boots always hurt, right? Well, the rental fitter was actually really good and they fit great with no pain. It was a blessing in disguise and caused me to finally get boots that fit well.

BTW, the airline paid the whole tab for equipment and some clothing with no argument which was really great.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As others have mentioned, I don’t see a benefit to a separate checked boot bag.

As others have mentioned, to be safe, take boots as carry-on. Otherwise, just put them in your duffel/suitcase/ski bag. Why would you want to lug another piece of luggage around?

@ejj ,Do you live in the US? If so, get the delta credit card, and take it with you*, to the check in, otherwise you will have to pay bagage fees on economy tickets.
If you live outside the US, be aware that you will need to collect and recheck your luggage if changeing planes in the US on the way in(but not on the outbound). This latter is a big reason to avoid a separate bootbag.

Are you traveling solo? If not, for my family (regular delta flyers), we pack 2 or 3 pair of skis in one bag, just make sure it stays under 50 lbs. Then carry-on boots, and a few other items.

*found this out the hard way. And only the “primary cardholder’s” card counts, not the spouse’s card

Last edited:

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
When I took the family to Bachelor a few years ago, we all had our boots over are shoulders. Wasn't hard to tell what we were going to do to in Oregon. :)
This is likely what we will do. Then put our helmets and other gear in the carry-on so we have everything we need to at least ski if they were to lose our checked bag.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any recommendations for a well padded double bag for skis no longer than 175cm? I have a single Sportube but was thinking soft bag this time.

I don't know if they'll ship to the US, or what it would cost, but this is absolutely the best double-ski bag I've ever seen. Well padded on all sides, interior has ski tie-downs on two sides with a thickly padded interior divider. They also make a wheeled version.
https://tanabesports.net/goods_en_usd_12679.html
...and, yeah, carry-on your boots

Thanks! I'm going to contact them to see.

TS
ejj

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
As others have mentioned, I don’t see a benefit to a separate checked boot bag.

As others have mentioned, to be safe, take boots as carry-on. Otherwise, just put them in your duffel/suitcase/ski bag. Why would you want to lug another piece of luggage around?

@ejj ,Do you live in the US? If so, get the delta credit card, and take it with you, to the check in, otherwise you will have to pay bagage fees on economy tickets.
If you live outside the US, be aware that you will need to collect and recheck your luggage if changeing planes in the US on the way in(but not on the outbound). This latter is a big reason to avoid a separate bootbag.

Are you traveling solo? If not, for my family (regular delta flyers), we pack 2 or 3 pair of skis in one bag, just make sure it stays under 50 lbs. Then carry-on boots, and a f

I'm in the Us--traveling with wife and daughters. I'm thinking the multiple skis in a bag is good--I have an old Patagonia bags that will hold three pairs of skis. Then get crazy with the carry-ons.

The Delta Card is good if you are flying Delta...

Thanks for the input gang--it really helps.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm in the Us--traveling with wife and daughters. I'm thinking the multiple skis in a bag is good--I have an old Patagonia bags that will hold three pairs of skis. Then get crazy with the carry-ons.

The Delta Card is good if you are flying Delta....

Don't forget overall weight - unless that's taken care of by the Delta card?

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Advantage #42 of using generic ski boots -your vacation isn’t over when the airline looses your custom boots. Reliance on specialized equipment can be a curse.

The problem I find with the two bag combo is keeping the weight under 50 lbs, so I usually pack my skis in a rolling ski bag and my boots in my main check in bag with the rest of my ski gear. I take my walk around clothes in a back pack as my carry on.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We fly with our family of four as well. Now that my daughters are bigger, we do 2 double ski bags, 3 pairs of skis was over the 50lbs limit.
2 pairs of skis, poles and then I fill it out to 50lbs with other stuff.
I have usually put the girls boots in the other pieces of luggage, we end up with 4 pieces checked, 2 ski bags, 2 regular bags.
I can easily fit 1 or 2 pairs of adult boots in my carryon, along with some of the other critical items(my goggles, 1 pair of gloves and my custom extra tall ski pants)

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
We fly with our family of four as well. Now that my daughters are bigger, we do 2 double ski bags, 3 pairs of skis was over the 50lbs limit.
2 pairs of skis, poles and then I fill it out to 50lbs with other stuff.
I have usually put the girls boots in the other pieces of luggage, we end up with 4 pieces checked, 2 ski bags, 2 regular bags.
I can easily fit 1 or 2 pairs of adult boots in my carryon, along with some of the other critical items(my goggles, 1 pair of gloves and my custom extra tall ski pants)

We were at precisely 50 lbs with 3 pair of skis and poles. Now we each load two pair of skis in each bag. Daughters for GS/SL and me for flexibility. Plus theirs roll so I don't have to deal with carrying them.

Must admit, we do the same as you with boots. They go in the large luggage bags with clothes and get checked. I'm knocking on wood right now for no lost bags on our Thanksgiving trip.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My last trip to SLC there were a few people with their boots on a strap with no issues (American Airlines). I had my boots in my carry-on.

Related question. I need to pick up a double ski bag this year. Any recommendations for a well padded double bag for skis no longer than 175cm? I have a single Sportube but was thinking soft bag this time.
Did you have your boots on a strap as your backpack/personal effects bag ment to go under the seat in front of you or in addition to?

Transpack Ski Vault Pro rolling 2x

Thule Roundtrip 2x Ski Roller 175cm

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
It all depends on the agent at check-in. My brother lives in the Atlanta suburbs and thus always flies Delta. He has status from his years of flying for business with them. It get's him one free bag. He is usually able to get his skis and duffle with boots and all his clothes inside counted as one bag. Every so often he gets a tough agent and has to pay for the skis as a second bag.

aubergine

Putting on skis
Skier
My random observations on this (very good) thread

* if you can curb check / sky cab your luggage, and have money in your hand, you will tend to get more leeway with everything related to luggage. Of course that is not possible in all situations.
* Amazon sells an excellent luggage weight hanging scale for $10, often available on PrimeNow. We take them on trips, and it helps get everything to be 50 lbs or under if forced to check in with an agent.
* The only time we have ever gotten negative feedback for putting other 'stuff' in a specialty luggage allowance was when we were checking two children's car seats, and had other stuff in their custom fit duffel bags. Carriers have to take those for free, and Hawaiian Air was unhappy about it. The SO argued with the luggage person about it, and asked to see where that was specifically not allowed, since everywhere else we'd traveled we'd never run into that concern. (No Aloha spirit at that HA counter for sure!) Ended up ok, but everyone was annoyed
* I always do carry on outbound for my boots / knee braces (I have two) since I can't really ski without that stuff. Going home its less of a concern.
* Take a quick picture of your open luggage before traveling in case you have to fight with either the airline or credit card company on making claims for late/missing stuff. Some credit cards are better with reimbursement for that kind of stuff, but the process is still painful.
* Air France has lost / delayed ski gear for our traveling party twice. No luck with that carrier!
* Now that luggage prices are going up, for some people it may be worth shipping gear to your destination, especially if its a hotel / resort situation, and you don't get free luggage on your carrier by status or plastic. I thought that was crazy until seeing a colleague do it, and it seemed to hardly be anymore than paying for bags. And its a lot less stress on the travel day, rental car pickup/drop off etc. But that may not work in all resort situations. Some of the European ones seem to have luggage check all the way direct to the end hotel.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I have seen this. I've never had a problem even though I've checked a double boot bag and double ski bag as one item, but a friend was flying with us out of O'Hare and went to a different check-in agent. She made him open his boot bag and remove all clothing items (and his helmet) before she'd let him check it as one item. Since then, when I check a boot bag I only put other items below the boots so that isn't an issue. Usually I stow my boots in my carry-on roller bag. They are a perfect fit with everything I need to ski for a couple of days if the rest of the luggage doesn't show (yes that has happened to me).

Phew. Vindication! JK. I know that when I have read the fine print, it has said nothing but the permitted equipment in the bag. I also know that rule is overlooked. It is when it isn't, like above, that it is a problem.

I carry my boots by their straps as my 'personal item' and another bag as my 'carry on'. I know I can get the boots under the seat in front of me when they are loose, plus I stuff socks and water bottles in them so they are actually 'luggage' of a sort. I carry my boots both directions (to and from skiing) as I don't really want to deal with replacing them.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's what I do...

I have this bag : https://www.dakine.com/en-us/bags/travel-bags/snowboard-gear-bags/boot-pack-50l/

bootpack.jpg

In that goes my boots, knee braces, gloves, boot driers, helmet, goggles, hats, ski socks, balaclavas, gaiters, collapsible water bottle, ski lock, and Skitrax. I usually shove a puffy in with the boots too. It will fit in normal overhead bins, but I have had to gate check it on small planes; I'm OK with that since they take it from the gate straight to the plane - very little chance of getting lost.

I also bring another little pack (that I ski with), or a computer bag if I take my PC, as my "personal item".

The skis I check in a SportTube. And I check the boot pack on the way home too.

Bruuuce

Skier
Has anyone experimented with the services like shipskis.com that ship your skis/boots to your location separately?

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Has anyone experimented with the services like shipskis.com that ship your skis/boots to your location separately?

I used ShipSkis for a trip to Alta. Worked without any issues. It was just the skis shipped in a Sportube

Sponsor