• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pitting in paint on roof of vehicle under skis?

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Hello

Not sure which forum would be the best to post this in.

For the last two years I have had the standard ski roof rack on my vehicle for trips to Tahoe. I have made about 4-5 trips per season, driving from the bay area to North Shore via Highway 80.

This season I noticed that there are three locations on the hood of my vehicle where the paint is pitted. Towards the front just a bit beyond the windshield seal, in the middle of the hood under where the bindings would be and also towards the rear of the hood. The pattern is all spots that are under the ski.

I have lots of clearance and there is no contact with the ski or rack in the affected areas.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

One thought might be all the sand in the air on highway 80 in the mountains. Perhaps the skis or racks are deflecting the sand down in these 3 locations and this is causing the pitted etched paint?

Ideas?

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I'd guess...I doubt it is sand that's the problem.

Salt, road grime & chemicals got caught in your bindings and on your skis and rack. They dripped onto the finish and, as they dried, pitted the clear coat.

Think of the damage to your skis and bindings. Boxes are a better way to transport your gear.

Depending on how bad the pitting, you'll have to machine polish the area and/or wet-sand to level the clear back out. Make sure you use (and keep up) a good sealant to help minimize the damage next year.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
+1 on it isn't direct damage, rather damage by long term residue, allowed to dry. Especially if both moisture and sun are at work as it's drying.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sounds more like a paint defect unless the vehicle is 10 years old. Clean it really well and wax it.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I'd guess...I doubt it is sand that's the problem.

Salt, road grime & chemicals got caught in your bindings and on your skis and rack. They dripped onto the finish and, as they dried, pitted the clear coat.

Think of the damage to your skis and bindings. Boxes are a better way to transport your gear.

Depending on how bad the pitting, you'll have to machine polish the area and/or wet-sand to level the clear back out. Make sure you use (and keep up) a good sealant to help minimize the damage next year.

How barbaric to put them up there all exposed to it all.... :eek:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
How barbaric to put them up there all exposed to it all.... :eek:

I've never really understood the appeal of flat-clamp ski racks. It's just as quick to tie a ski bag or several bags onto flat bars - and if one of the ties is a saddle lock it is just as theft-secure.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
I've never really understood the appeal of flat-clamp ski racks. It's just as quick to tie a ski bag or several bags onto flat bars - and if one of the ties is a saddle lock it is just as theft-secure.

From my perspective, I can’t imagine getting skis in and out of a ski bag(s), strapped to the roof rack of a vehicle, being as convenient as a ski rack. It would be especially hard with multiple skis in one bag and time consuming if each set of skis had their own bag. Perhaps worth it for long trips when you want your skis to have a little protection, but not convenient for daily use.

With close to ten years of using a rack,I have never noticed any damage to my equipment.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
2017_golf_alltrack_6328(1).jpg

2016-Volkswagen-Golf-SportWagen-S-18T-skis-in-rear-center-console.jpg

Last edited:

whitefeathers

Putting on skis
Skier
My SUVs rear seats fold down and I lay the skis kinda diagonally and can get several pair in like that

Sponsor

Staff online