• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sounds pretty reasonable... does it includes utilities? ;)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
With this crowd, you security deposit would be at risk.
Oh well, I guess you can patch the holes in the wall with toothpaste, like we did at the end of the year in college.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If Pugski ever does something like this for a gathering I will be there. Silverton will rent the mountain for 10k a day.

Reactions: RJS

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
If I recall correctly, Pico is closed a few days during mid-week. Is that when its rentable, or also on the weekend?
They are offering Pico for rent on Tuesday or Wednesday.. Only the uphill crowd will be upset if they do actually find any takers.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
It sounds like a cool idea but the reality is much different. You can basically have the same situation by going to Pico on a Thursday. You do not have to collect money from 100 people and you do not have to deal with bad conditions and/or bad weather. You only have to buy a lift ticket.ogwink

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Maybe; I'll wager renting the hill gets the
renter much more say in things like instruction, lifts, and food service than buying a day pass would.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
Maybe; I'll wager renting the hill gets the
renter much more say in things like instruction, lifts, and food service than buying a day pass would.

Nope.
"The private mountain rental is $6,500 for up to 250 guests* and available to rent Tuesdays and Wednesday from January 8 through April 4, 2019. Food and Beverage services will be available upon request for an additional charge."
https://snowboarding.transworld.net/news/rent-pico-mountain-next-private-party/

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I looked at that for a ski club. I don't think it works out.

Mid-week days in the East are never crowded,and most locals who can ski mid-week have passes somewhere. There is just not enough of them to get near the number you need to get to a reasonable price. OTOH a trip from the city is going to require people commit to taking a day off from work. Why would you do that when you could just go to Killington, which is way bigger not crowded?

Plattekill might be better, but there is just too much weather risk there.

dm

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This wouldn't be about you and your individual skiing experience. Of course you could do better somewhere else mid-week. For this to really work, it would be about knowing everyone on the mountain from work or perhaps virtually from a ski blog and getting to know more of them face-to-face. It would work for me because I could stay at my place at Killington, and I'd happily fork over the extra bucks even though I have a pass.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Once again, Plattekill seems to be a bargain at $3500/day.

... Plattekill might be better, but there is just too much weather risk there.

Plattekill would be a great place for a private mini gathering. If someone (not me... already frustrated dealing with my own trip with a group of just 10) were to organize a Monday - just extend a weekend road trip a day - I'd buy into it even though conditions can't be predicted. Maybe negotiate a discount if less than all lifts running, less than 50% open terrain. Can we claim @Pugski a non-profit?

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
This wouldn't be about you and your individual skiing experience. Of course you could do better somewhere else mid-week. For this to really work, it would be about knowing everyone on the mountain fro
I know. It's just too hard to get a large enough group together for a mid-week day, and mid-week you don't need to exclude the public to feel like you own the place.

dm

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
Plattekill would be a great place for a private mini gathering. If someone (not me... already frustrated dealing with my own trip with a group of just 10) were to organize a Monday - just extend a weekend road trip a day - I'd buy into it even though conditions can't be predicted. Maybe negotiate a discount if less than all lifts running, less than 50% open terrain. Can we claim @Pugski a non-profit?

Plattekill is even sillier to try and rent than Pico. I have been to Platty on many Fridays. Usually there are about 30 cars in the parking lot. Set up a group meeting at Platty on a Friday, pay the discount rate and do not worry about people not showing up with the cash you would need to rent the place.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
This wouldn't be about you and your individual skiing experience. Of course you could do better somewhere else mid-week. For this to really work, it would be about knowing everyone on the mountain from work or perhaps virtually from a ski blog and getting to know more of them face-to-face. It would work for me because I could stay at my place at Killington, and I'd happily fork over the extra bucks even though I have a pass.

I think you are on the right track, and I would go a little further. I can't imagine the target of this being anything else than corporate events. It should be suitable to small to medium sized local companies looking for a place to gather a couple hundred people in a nice environment. Can you imagine skiing in the morning and meeting for work 1pm after lunch? I want to work there!

Oh, and btw, if any group of mortals are renting Pico, that's gotta be @Alba Adventures and friends :D

Last edited:
TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I think it’s still dirt cheap for a group to rent a Vermont mtn. If you had few pals, it would not be that large of an outlay.

Sponsor

Staff online