• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pick-ups and Snow Driving

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
never had that problem unless it was real slick, like ice slick. Then it doesnt matter what you are driving, rear wheel drive you countersteer through it. Like the Hudson Hornet taught Lightning McQueen.
I had a 2000 Subaru 2.5 RS, 5 speed, big rear sway bar and -1 wheels and snow tires(195 65 15 vs stock 205 55 16) that I used the throttle as the primary steering mechanism in slippery conditions. When in doubt throttle out. My wife hated going anywhere in that car in the snow :roflmao:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
The only differance in driving the 07 F250 with the bed filled to the top with sheetrock was that it rode nicer.
My pick-up rode beautiful with 2 GSXR-750's in the back.. :ogbiggrin: Without anything in the back it was like a lesson for chassis dynamics folks in how not to design a well-handling vehicle..

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The only differance in driving the 07 F250 with the bed filled to the top with sheetrock was that it rode nicer.

100% true story. I’ve got an “89 F250 HD with a 460 engine and a 4:11 rear end. Empty it rides like an old horse drawn wagon. Loaded with firewood, etc it drives like a luxury car!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have a season pass to Powder Mountain and that road is just shy of a Himalayan goat path.
Quote of the day!
Well,... Himalayan cow path.

52019852-5E36-4541-A3AC-FB5FAF20A0B9.jpeg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
100% true story. I’ve got an “89 F250 HD with a 460 engine and a 4:11 rear end. Empty it rides like an old horse drawn wagon. Loaded with firewood, etc it drives like a luxury car!
I have an '18 Ram 3500 dually. For a truck that has a capacity of over 5000 pounds and can tow over 25,000 pounds it rides surprisingly well. Though it's certainly not a luxury car, it is quite tolerable on long trips, at least for me. The strides made in truck suspensions over the years has been great. Better shocks and progressive spring rates are da bomb!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
My '91 Dodge diesel (post #96) rode like a buckboard when empty, so I had a Kelderman Air Ryde air bag suspension installed. It features a dual staged hinged apparatus that took 8 hours to install and is attached to the end of the back of the leaf springs with a 10" dia air bag where the spare tire used to mount. When the bag is filled with air it loads up the end of the leaf springs and lifts the truck bed about an inch. For the front axle there is 6" dia air bag beside each shock and when aired up raises the front about 1 inch.

When the truck is empty the Kelderman Suspension delivers a smooth floaty ride and when loaded the air bag suspension acts as a load leveler.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have an '18 Ram 3500 dually. For a truck that has a capacity of over 5000 pounds and can tow over 25,000 pounds it rides surprisingly well. Though it's certainly not a luxury car, it is quite tolerable on long trips, at least for me. The strides made in truck suspensions over the years has been great. Better shocks and progressive spring rates are da bomb!
You haul a 5er with it?

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
The only difference in the tare weigh of vehicles is your net weight capacity. The gross is still the same, and that is only important if your getting paid to haul loads.

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
My guess is that Andy Mink will say that the narrowest tire to road surface design is better for more vehicle psi to road surface.

While for float on surface of sand or silt, less vehicle psi to surface is preferred.

So, dually for snow -- not so good.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
But which is better in snow? The single or dual rear wheels?
My guess is that Andy Mink will say that the narrowest tire to road surface design is better for more vehicle psi to road surface.

While for float on surface of sand or silt, less vehicle psi to surface is preferred.

So, dually for snow -- not so good.
Single rear is better in snow, no doubt. The dually will slip and slide backing into the driveway if it's slippery and not in 4x4 (6x6?). And the trucks with the big wide aftermarket tires are even worse! I'm sure the dually would be a different animal with proper snow tires but that's a lot of tires! Dually for the win while towing. It's much more stable.

jseeski

Skiing a little BC powder
Skier
My Silverado is great in the snow when set to "4wd auto", probably even better than my wife's Subaru. I would never buy any pickup that didn't have a 4wd auto(AWD) setting on the 4wd. Unfortunately other than GM you need to go with a high trim level to get that option in most trucks which is pretty sad since GM has offered it starting with their mid level trim for 20+ years.
Yes, I have a 1999 3/4 ton Silverado with the automagic 4WD. This means it has a 4WD system that offers both Auto 4WD that can be used on highways with intermittent slippery conditions as well as traditional high and low range 4WD modes that force both the front and rear propeller shafts to turn the same speed. I find the Auto 4WD greatly reduces the tendency to swap ends. It makes it very stable on a snow-covered highway without forcing slippage going around corners.

I did have to replace one of the clutch engagement motors at around 200,000 miles. It wasn't cheap, but, you know, 200,000 miles. How could I complain?

I use 4 studded Cooper snow tires and the truck has a cap over the bed. I drive from Salmo, British Columbia up a highway with lots of curves and very limited sun because of mountains on both sides. Then there is the Whitewater access road, which is often extremely slimy. I've been known to give rides to people whose AWD cars couldn't make it up the switchbacks on the access road. Usually, AWD works fine, but occasionally weight and studs are required.

Sponsor

Staff online