• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pick-ups and Snow Driving

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
This may fall into the "this guy is a slow learner" category, but my now-wife and I were headed back from Targhee to Red Lodge on Christmas a few years ago. The GPS suggested a turn that I missed, I tried to three-point to get to it, and I misjudged the bank edge. That's the one time I've ever used the winch on my truck to rescue myself, and I'm pretty sure it was worth the money for that one incident.
That's kind of how I met good friend. He had parked his dualie in the paid parking lot at A-Basin but pulled in a touch too far. His front wheels were in the ditch. Even in 4WD low, he couldn't get himself out. I'm sure his truck being a diesel didn't help; so much weight forward. I hooked up to him with a tow strap and my Taco and got him out. Friends ever since. Taco Taco! (I'll forego posting the SP video)

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Big difference between a 80,000# highway truck & a 300,000# off road heavy equipment hauler. The logger that hit Phil was mty, @ 26,000#. That doesn't diminish the fact that he could of been killed. It makes my blood boil to see this kind of wreckless behavior from anyone driving.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Those old Volvos were great in snow, unlike my '06 XC70 awd wagon with auto transmission, which was great on compacted snow but was unable to get up my rain/freeze ice covered driveway. Even after sanding, I still had to put on chains.

That XC70 has been replaced with a 2019 Tacoma with 9.4 inches of ground clearance and a proper 4x4 with high and low range AND manual transmission. The Taco is a TRD Off Road so it also has a rear axle locker.

On the topic of vehicle crash safety, as a first aid attendant I once got a call to attend a head on collision between a pickup and a loaded off highway logging truck. These off highway trucks carry 3 times the load of a highway log truck and truck and trailer weigh about 75 tons and carry 100+ tons of logs so they take a looong distance to stop.

As a result of the accident, the log truck got a scratched bumper and the pickup was totaled. The pickup's grill and rad ended up being pushed right into the firewall with the engine and transmission dropping below the cab, exactly as it was designed. The cab was undamaged and the doors still opened. This was pre air bag, so the pickup driver broke the steering wheel with his face, resulting in soft tissue damage and swelling but nothing broken.

Without the crumple zone design, the engine would have ended up in the cab and no doubt result in some serious injuries.
I am reminded of a few incidents my dad had. He used to drive a VW bug as a travelling salesman. He once had to take the ditch on his way to a remote sawmill (his customer) to avoid a log truck barrelling downhill at 80 mph in a snow storm. The bug didn't even get stuck in the ditch. Another time someone in front of him stopped in the driving lane on the Metropolitan Expressway (an elevated freeway that crosses Montreal). He was able to stop, but the guy behind him in a big American car hit his bug doing about 70 mph. My dad, instead of breaking his face on the steering wheel, gripped it tightly and bent the steering wheel into a figure 8.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Please explain the blue paint on the truck, and what is that blue on the yellow car?
Also, who got the ticket for failing to share the road? Inquiring minds want to know.
The blue is from the Chevron stripes on the fender. He got the ticket, here is where the Maita was when he hit it, I really couldn't have been more "on my side" than I was.
04A41E8B-BDF4-4F19-AF4C-E20F007A6410.jpeg

I got spit out and spun around.
ADFABA58-E40E-4CD2-B669-4530B17B1473.jpeg

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
When I was riding motorcycles I always worried about the one-off boogeyman encounters. Red light runners, lane crossers..You just can't predict 100% when those things will happen..and the results are not great. Glad you came out ok.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
When I was riding motorcycles I always worried about the one-off boogeyman encounters. Red light runners, lane crossers..You just can't predict 100% when those things will happen..and the results are not great. Glad you came out ok.
Speaking of motorcycling in Toronto, I once stopped for a red (not yellow, not even pink) light heading east on Eglington, about to make a left turn onto Don Mills (IIRC there were two left turning lanes there and we were in one of them). Good thing I left it in gear, because my shoulder check after stopping revealed the guy behind me still had it floored to make the yellow that had died a full second ago. Yes, I went through the red (with him going through behind me), and I didn't spare the horses doing it.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Speaking of motorcycling in Toronto, I once stopped for a red (not yellow, not even pink) light heading east on Eglington, about to make a left turn onto Don Mills (IIRC there were two left turning lanes there and we were in one of them). Good thing I left it in gear, because my shoulder check after stopping revealed the guy behind me still had it floored to make the yellow that had died a full second ago. Yes, I went through the red (with him going through behind me), and I didn't spare the horses doing it.
Yup. You know it. I once did a cross-lane check as my light turned green, saw a car sailing through a full red at about 80kmh in a 60...guy behind me is just hammering the horn...coulda been killed.. You can't be too safe man. Bikes are gone. Kids took precedence.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
I ran 2wd everything until 97 except wifes Explorer (89-99), grew up near the Poconos. REAL snow tires, and 5 concrete blocks behind the wheel wells took me any where I wanted to go in a reg cab whole bed pickup. Moved in 97 to WPA, I got the first ex cab 4wd F150 with the short (6foot) bed. Never had a problem with decent M+S tires on it. Stepped up to the F250 whole bed ex cab in 09. It had Continental highway tires on it. First snow it went in a ditch in 4wd Hi. By that afternoon it was wearing Coopers, no problems after that. New one is a short bed (6"9") ex cab F250. It is a lot lighter with the AL body and I can feel it. We will see how it does.
Basically a PU is made to put stuff in the back, so making it heavy in the rear is a bad idea. The PU/SUV DOT limousine crew cab versions with minimal hauling area will be better in snow like most SUV's. My daughters outbacks were a lot of fun in the snow, as long as there wasnt much. I had an explorer that was a freaking tank in the snow. I was running that during the blizzard of 93 and blew through drifts that were as big as the car. FYI, if you do that, immediately clean the snow from in front of the radiator.
Yes you see a lot of PU's in the ditch, you also see outbacks, Jeeps, and every other type of vehicle that people think they can go like hell in in any condition. 4WD does NOT mean 4W stop.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Basically a PU is made to put stuff in the back, so making it heavy in the rear is a bad idea.
^^^Is this a typo? Putting weight over the drive wheels of a PU is a good idea; SUVs have the weight of the roof, glass windows, and rear seat, so extra weight is less of a requirement.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
^^^Is this a typo? Putting weight over the drive wheels of a PU is a good idea; SUVs have the weight of the roof, glass windows, and rear seat, so extra weight is less of a requirement.
No typo. The back end MUST be built light the lighter the better. The lighter it is the more you can actually carry. If you built a PU that weighed 4500lb and has a gross weight rating of 5500 it isnt much good. That is different than you adding weight. You have to add weight for traction, that doesnt mean it is a good idea to build a truck that has a lot of weight in the rear, thus, all trucks are built light in the back end and should be. Adding the weight behing the rear axle works better. Levers and all that.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
This truck and camper, loaded up with me and all my ski gear is 8,800lbs.; almost 300lbs. over the GVWR. I need to go on a diet and bring fewer skis. :ogbiggrin:
1598739246934.jpeg

With stuff in the under bed overhang storage and a 1000lb Cummins diesel, there is more weight on the front axle than rear axle. Good thing I have an air bag suspension on both axles. Oh, goes thru the snow like a tank but tends to want to go in the direction that it is pointed.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
This truck and camper, loaded up with me and all my ski gear is 8,800lbs.; almost 300lbs. over the GVWR. I need to go on a diet and bring fewer skis. :ogbiggrin:
View attachment 108989

With stuff in the under bed overhang storage and a 1000lb Cummins diesel, there is more weight on the front axle than rear axle. Good thing I have an air bag suspension on both axles. Oh, goes thru the snow like a tank but tends to want to go in the direction that it is pointed.
And it's old enough that you could actually run it on heating oil, in a pinch. :duck:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
The only differance in driving the 07 F250 with the bed filled to the top with sheetrock was that it rode nicer.
It probably handled better too. Empty pickups often want to lead with the wrong end through turns especially if the road is slick.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
It probably handled better too. Empty pickups often want to lead with the wrong end through turns especially if the road is slick.
never had that problem unless it was real slick, like ice slick. Then it doesnt matter what you are driving, rear wheel drive you countersteer through it. Like the Hudson Hornet taught Lightning McQueen.

Sponsor

Staff online