• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Jenny

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What a difference a year makes! Was looking at this thread again yesterday for a refresher on the certifiations that @Brian Finch told me to look for, as I now need PT for a different issue and realized just where exactly I was at this time last year. I'd already been appreciating that every day this summer I was able to walk, garden, exercise, etc. and yes, even doing the laundry and cleaning was more exciting than you'd think, simply because they were all possible/normal this year. Seeing the video I posted and remembering how much I had to concentrate to walk normally in it just made me so thankful . . .

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I’m a patient, not a therapist. I went through many and I found that the two that really work for me spend significant time discussing what I’m feeling and what the objectives are, both of any particular exercise and how it relates to the final objective(s). So, education and learning to learn is as important as doing the routines. Paramount actually. Without it, one can do things incorrectly, and worse, motivation.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I thought I remembered this thread about PT. I am looking for information on Vestibular Therapy and it is @Brian Finch that is the resident expert on PT. Also if anyone else is familiar with Vestibule Therapy please jump in and reply.
Thanks.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I thought I remembered this thread about PT. I am looking for information on Vestibular Therapy and it is @Brian Finch that is the resident expert on PT. Also if anyone else is familiar with Vestibule Therapy please jump in and reply.
Thanks.
I know enough to get in trouble & my wife is in ENT :)

Seriously, what issues are you experiencing? Have you asked ENT who the use?

Uncle-A

Skier
I know enough to get in trouble & my wife is in ENT :)

Seriously, what issues are you experiencing? Have you asked ENT who the use?
It is for my wife and she is going through a combination of vertigo, balance and dizziness issues. The Vestibular PT was recommended by a Neurologist and I have never heard of it. I did use Google but I am not sure if it was a big help and now I get a lot of adds from all types of PT.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
It is for my wife and she is going through a combination of vertigo, balance and dizziness issues. The Vestibular PT was recommended by a Neurologist and I have never heard of it. I did use Google but I am not sure if it was a big help and now I get a lot of adds from all types of PT.

Fists I’m very sorry that your wife is dealing w this. It’s a complex issue and one that usual requires a degree of recovery & compensation.

Terms matter greatly here:

Vertigo (true vertigo) is the visual representation of the environment spinning. These presentations tend to require canalith repositioning techniques & strict programming.

Balance is the integral working of how accurately our vision, proprioception & inner ear play nice in the sandbox. Each can be tested & trained or habituated. Important to see which / how each system is functioning.

Dizziness in my experience tends to be the result of sensory conflict. I see a lot of cervicogenic dizziness due to spine & eyes not agreeing. Ocular training and manual therapy is key here. There are other reasons for dizziness such as tension or vascular degeneration.

Just asked one of my buddies who is a Vestibular certified PT & here was his thoughts-

“ It’s a crap shoot but the ‘find a provider’ for either AIB

OR

Neuro PT

I would also suggest calling the ENT & asking who they recommend! Best.

Uncle-A

Skier
Fists I’m very sorry that your wife is dealing w this. It’s a complex issue and one that usual requires a degree of recovery & compensation.

Terms matter greatly here:

Vertigo (true vertigo) is the visual representation of the environment spinning. These presentations tend to require canalith repositioning techniques & strict programming.

Balance is the integral working of how accurately our vision, proprioception & inner ear play nice in the sandbox. Each can be tested & trained or habituated. Important to see which / how each system is functioning.

Dizziness in my experience tends to be the result of sensory conflict. I see a lot of cervicogenic dizziness due to spine & eyes not agreeing. Ocular training and manual therapy is key here. There are other reasons for dizziness such as tension or vascular degeneration.

Just asked one of my buddies who is a Vestibular certified PT & here was his thoughts-

“ It’s a crap shoot but the ‘find a provider’ for either AIB

OR

Neuro PT

I would also suggest calling the ENT & asking who they recommend! Best.
Thank You very much, I will look for a certified PT. I also will try and find a contact for ENT.