• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Jacques

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Okay, so they are FIS Jr. skis. Perfect for my light weight!
2020-03-06_042956.jpg
2020-03-06_042956.jpg

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
If you get tired of them, let me know.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
That’s a really cool item. I don’t know that I’d ski them though, I might keep them as a collector item.

The insider that gave them to me, gave them to me to ski them. He said I needed them!
They can always hang on a wall or whatever in the future.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
Although the catalog said only the X VAR would fit this plate, it turns out the plate fit only the X Race, so these are custom.
As for never a marking on her skis. I found some. Don't look like a tuning spec., but there.
Copy of Shiffren 2.jpg

Copy of Shiffren.jpg

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
what is the X-race Jacques?? I know the X Mod and the X-Var ? They both fit the normal plate. Even the aluminum WC plates i have seen still take the same bindings X16, 19, 20

Can you post picture of the plate?

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
what is the X-race Jacques?? I know the X Mod and the X-Var ? They both fit the normal plate. Even the aluminum WC plates i have seen still take the same bindings X16, 19, 20

Can you post picture of the plate?

I think the X is same as X-Race. IDK, have to check atomic catalog.
IDK, you would need to zoom up this one. Anyway I will get the bindings soon, but looks like no ski this season.
They do have some aluminum underneath them. Already test fit bindings.

Look here: https://the-raceplace.com/products/2020-atomic-x-series-race-bindings
I am getting them from someone else for 179.00
I'll let you know exact after I get them. Have the steel that connects the ends together under the boot.
IMG_6616.JPG

Last edited:

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Jacques, that is the standard Atomic race plate. The X series binding is the standard race binding, the one with the steel connecting band is the x-Var. The Var simply refers to the fact that its is "VARiable" ie you can slide it backand forth on the plate in up to 7 different positions. All the X-series bindings use the same mounting points. Some of the more recent plates only accept the X-Mod binding ie. the 2 piece binding without the link band so they can not be moved in situ

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
My avatar is Squaw Valley’s own Julia Mancuso’s Torino 2006 Olympic Gold Medal winning skis, which you can find at Ski Bartlett, Hillingdon, London

Attachments

• F381FC96-5365-4E5A-82A1-86A3B638212D.jpeg
    F381FC96-5365-4E5A-82A1-86A3B638212D.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
Jacques, that is the standard Atomic race plate. The X series binding is the standard race binding, the one with the steel connecting band is the x-Var. The Var simply refers to the fact that its is "VARiable" ie you can slide it backand forth on the plate in up to 7 different positions. All the X-series bindings use the same mounting points. Some of the more recent plates only accept the X-Mod binding ie. the 2 piece binding without the link band so they can not be moved in situ
Well, the X-VAR holes did not line up. The one with the bands did. They were white in color. The atomic dealer I went to took photos to send to his rep. All I can tell you is, it is strange. I'll be maybe back with photos later. The gentleman (I have known for a long time) said he would not drill the plate. I too, would not drill the plate.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
My avatar is Squaw Valley’s own Julia Mancuso’s Torino 2006 Olympic Gold Medal winning skis, which you can find at Ski Bartlett, Hillingdon, London
No way! Primoz says they never mark the skis.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure what X-var you tried Jacques, i suspect it may have been one meant for the non FIS ski. the X16 race you linked to in the picture is the Xvar race and that is the standard plate. I have mounted probably 70+ pairs of Atomic race skis with the X series binding like these and know just a little bit about them... ogsmile the mounting pattern has been the same since the binding first came out in 2010-11.....

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
Not sure what X-var you tried Jacques, i suspect it may have been one meant for the non FIS ski. the X16 race you linked to in the picture is the Xvar race and that is the standard plate. I have mounted probably 70+ pairs of Atomic race skis with the X series binding like these and know just a little bit about them... ogsmile the mounting pattern has been the same since the binding first came out in 2010-11.....
We went with the listed binding for the ski. See post #21 above. The holes did not line up.
Even the guy that gave them to me told me only the X-VAR would fit, but why did the holes not line up?
He even told me he took off X-VAR 18's off the skis. This is crazy, I know. I don't think the guy at the shop was stupid. ( He is the owner for many years!)
The whole thing is a mystery. That why the dealer sent up close photos to his rep.
He is out of the shop for a few days now. When he was there, the white ones, with the metal bands fit, but those were not VAR. However, could be adjusted forward or backward, but not like the VAR with a switch so easy.

One more edit. We tried the X-VAR 12 as listed.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry Jacques, I guess neither you or your shop guy have much experience with these. The X-Var race binding does not have a switch, it has a lever on the front of the toe piece that lets you move it forward and back. And it has the metal band connecting the toe and heel.... . The nomenclature fro it may have changed over the years - it was originally designated the X16 VAR, the Var in the name appears to have been dropped recently - but I can assure you the X Var or race - in 12, 16, 18, 19 and 20 varieties....and in red, white, yellow/blue etc colors has used the same chassis (and has been used on the WC skis as well - at least the ones with Atomic rather than marker bindings :ogbiggrin:) that fits all the Atomic race plates since 2011.

I have no idea what VAR binding you were trying to use that didn't fit - maybe for a lower level ski? - as i am not familiar with the non-race bindings .....

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
No way! Primoz says they never mark the skis.
I guess even you @Jacques will admit I never said that ;) I wrote
"Another thing is, not a single half serious serviceman on WC tour puts stuff like this on skis. Most of times no names (for several reasons), and certainly no plain text data, not to mention no need for side angles to be marked."
That is not they never mark skis. Skis are always marked, and there's plenty of reasons to do this. Main is to identify each ski, which then tells serviceman which base it has, which structure it has and which model and construction it is. And of course, which one is fastest in certain conditions.
But yes, they never write such ridiculous things on as side edge angle is, and what I also wrote is, that most of times, they don't write racer's name on them.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
Sorry Jacques, I guess neither you or your shop guy have much experience with these. The X-Var race binding does not have a switch, it has a lever on the front of the toe piece that lets you move it forward and back. And it has the metal band connecting the toe and heel.... . The nomenclature fro it may have changed over the years - it was originally designated the X16 VAR, the Var in the name appears to have been dropped recently - but I can assure you the X Var or race - in 12, 16, 18, 19 and 20 varieties....and in red, white, yellow/blue etc colors has used the same chassis (and has been used on the WC skis as well - at least the ones with Atomic rather than marker bindings :ogbiggrin:) that fits all the Atomic race plates since 2011.

I have no idea what VAR binding you were trying to use that didn't fit - maybe for a lower level ski? - as i am not familiar with the non-race bindings .....
it has a lever on the front of the toe piece that lets you move it forward and back.
Yes, I know that.
I said above what binding we tried.