• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
Here’s a Chinook lifting the Into the Wild bus in Alaska
918b31fc-1779-485d-a572-ef508c8ded89-jpeg.104786

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/19/us/into-the-wild-bus-removed.html

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow. That’s a really big road going to a small car parking building
Not sure if you're being facetious... but just in case (or for anyone else): That's a tunnel through the mountain under Loveland resort along I-70, the major highway from Denver into the mountains.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Here’s a Chinook lifting the Into the Wild bus in Alaska
918b31fc-1779-485d-a572-ef508c8ded89-jpeg.104786

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/19/us/into-the-wild-bus-removed.html
National Guard here used a Chinook and Blackhawks to rescue campers here from a boat ramp in the Camp Fire. I read (can't verify that the Chinook can carry 60 people but they frantically jammed 100 in thinking the fire would not let them back). Some were burned or had injuries. They were telling the people they may have to jump into the lake to save themselves from the fire ! Massive smoke cloud from Camp Fire is now covering 1/3 of California. including us.

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
National Guard here used a Chinook and Blackhawks to rescue campers here from a boat ramp in the Camp Fire. I read (can't verify that the Chinook can carry 60 people but they frantically jammed 100 in thinking the fire would not let them back). Some were burned or had injuries. They were telling the people they may have to jump into the lake to save themselves from the fire ! Massive smoke cloud from Camp Fire is now covering 1/3 of California. including us.

Wow
Good effort by the National Guard

Stay safe @John Webb

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
^^The article says two people chose to stay behind. I wonder how they fared.

"....everyone who wanted to leave was airlifted. Two people chose to stay behind,..."

Crudmaster

tinyurl.com/pungjgt
Skier
A not-so-large fire occured by the road to Crystal Mountain and the mountain closed operations, not only for this weekend, but also for the next one-- the previously scheduled last weekend of summer gondola operation.

So it'll be a lot quieter up there for us. We expect to spend most of our time there until snow closes the access road to the back door of our ski club, presumably in November.

Here are a few end-of-summer shots.

200905 Steve Azy Crystal Northway 2.jpg

Steve Shelton, Azy Samsavar and Six Thirty in Northway Bowl. (I love the super-wide lens in my iPhone 11 Pro.)

200730 TCH meditate 630 stream.jpg

Six Thirty explores Silver Creek under Crystal Mtn Blvd, while my wife Toni meditates.

200816 big mushroomA.jpg

I was suprised to discover this biggie after a dry period, as opposed to the spring or fall.

200823 Marble Ck TCH meditate 630.jpg

Toni and Six Thirty by the Cascade River at Marble Creek Campground

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The other day a talented young man from the neighborhood played his violin for about a dozen of us. He is headed to three years of music school this Saturday. It was my first live music show since covid. :mask:

Tiny Driveway Concert:
tiny driveway concert.jpg

Sponsor