• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andrew

Photographer
Skier
Not doing much skiing lately, but it is climbing season!

Soloing Tenaya Peak - 14 pitches
IMG_7399.jpg

Molar Concentration - Donner, CA

Optimized-DSC_5931.jpg

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This one is from last Saturday. My first attempt at astrophotography. Used my old Canon 7D and 100-400mm lens. The key hardware that enabled this was an iOptron Skyguider Pro mount. Once polar aligned, it tracks the sky and compensates for the Earth's rotation and allows for long exposures without streaked stars.

This is a stack of 60x 1 minute long exposures. So it's effectively an hour long integration.

I've seen countless better photographs, but still capturing this myself was a huge kick. It's really out there!

Now I'm excited to try more targets (and of course it's cloudy this weekend:roflmao:).

This is Andromeda Galaxy. Or M31 in the Messier catalog of Deep Sky Objects. It's 5x the apparent width of the full moon in night sky and visible with the naked eye from Tahoe, but much fainter, of course. It's the nearest Galaxy to us in the Milky Way, and is 2.5 million light years away (60 trillion times as far as the Moon).

There are actually 2 additional galaxies in this photo. Both much smaller satellites of Andromeda. The little fuzzy ball close to the core is M32 and the elongated blur a little further away on the opposite side is M110 (both getting their own entries in the Messier deep sky objects catalog).

Andromeda_DSS2_PS.jpg

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This one is from last Saturday. My first attempt at astrophotography. Used my old Canon 7D and 100-400mm lens. The key hardware that enabled this was an iOptron Skyguider Pro mount. Once polar aligned, it tracks the sky and compensates for the Earth's rotation and allows for long exposures without streaked stars.

This is a stack of 60x 1 minute long exposures. So it's effectively an hour long integration.

I've seen countless better photographs, but still capturing this myself was a huge kick. It's really out there!

Now I'm excited to try more targets (and of course it's cloudy this weekend:roflmao:).

This is Andromeda Galaxy. Or M31 in the Messier catalog of Deep Sky Objects. It's 5x the apparent width of the full moon in night sky and visible with the naked eye from Tahoe, but much fainter, of course. It's the nearest Galaxy to us in the Milky Way, and is 2.5 million light years away (60 trillion times as far as the Moon).

View attachment 80991

Pretty neat.
The big question is "How's the skiing there?"

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
wonder if there's been any more thought to having a photo of the week contest like Epic used to run? thought that was great and it got me to actually stop and enjoy the amazing views we get in the mountains - even tho most of the times my pics turned out like crap!

Sponsor