• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
Pinnacle Ridge, Mt Ruapehu, NZ, last weekend
20190901_115206.jpg

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
Nice. What’s the elevation?

The highest point is First Pinnacle in the centre of the photo, at 2234m (7329ft). Ruapehu is 2797m (9176ft) - the summit is behind and to the right of where I took the photo. Some really good lines on the ridge as you can see, and some spectacular climbing, especially behind the ridge on the left, which leads up to Grand Pinnacle.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
The highest point is First Pinnacle in the centre of the photo, at 2234m (7329ft). Ruapehu is 2797m (9176ft) - the summit is behind and to the right of where I took the photo. Some really good lines on the ridge as you can see, and some spectacular climbing, especially behind the ridge on the left, which leads up to Grand Pinnacle.

And, I’ve always thought that NZ was too far to travel to from NA, except for those that need a place to train. Guess I’m wrong.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sunrise yesterday morning in Niagara on the Lake
20190921_063803_HDR_resized.jpg

Historic Fort Niagara (US), on our way out to the racetrack

20190922_091711_HDR_resized.jpg

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
foxtail-Tyndall1.jpg

A foxtail pine snag against sunset light on 14,026 foot Mt Tyndall, in Sequoia National Park, August 26, 2019 day 7 of my 9 day backpack. Note the second snag further back below the right side limbs. Foxtail pines that make up all the silhouettes beyond are very closely related to the famous long lived bristlecone pines of the Great Basin and only found in the extreme southern Sierra Nevada high elevations.

Knowing pre-trip from topographic map work that Tyndall receives good late light at this time of late summer, earlier in the day I'd surveyed possible well isolated foxtail pine subjects I could place up against the peak. This shot (downsized to 1500 pixels for web) is a Photoshop focus stack blended image, thus the original 6000 by 4000 pixel image is tack sharp in all areas.

And below a second foxtail snag but in morning sunlight. All these trees are foxtails including the young symetrical tree at right and the tree at left with its wind sculpted bare crown branches. In the background is pyramidal 13586 foot Mt Ericsson.

foxtail-EC1.jpg

Last edited:

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
View attachment 80698

A foxtail pine snag against sunset light on 14,026 foot Mt Tyndall, in Sequoia National Park, August 26, 2019 day 7 of my 9 day backpack. Note the second snag further back below the right side limbs. Foxtail pines that make up all the silhouettes beyond are very closely related to the famous long lived bristlecone pines of the Great Basin and only found in the extreme southern Sierra Nevada high elevations.

Knowing pre-trip from topographic map work that Tyndall receives good late light at this time of late summer, earlier in the day I'd surveyed possible well isolated foxtail pine subjects I could place up against the peak. This shot (downsized to 1500 pixels for web) is a Photoshop focus stack blended image, thus the original 6000 by 4000 pixel image is tack sharp in all areas.

And below a second foxtail snag but in morning sunlight. All these trees are foxtails including the young symetrical tree at right and the tree at left with its wind sculpted bare crown branches. In the background is pyramidal 13586 foot Mt Ericsson.

View attachment 80699

First... Twisters - what mfg is that? Hart?

And, that tree has lost it's leaves early this season!

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
2011 Dynastar Twister 168cm (97 66 84 mm)
(child of Vertical Assault)

Sponsor