• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Warm today and I do not know how to give spiderbuddy a drink...will leave a plate with water at the base..
20200828_155125.jpg

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
The hump on the left is the top jump of three in rapid succession in the woods where I run near my house (New England). I do not do mountain biking in here. I gave up the bike after I had some close calls while riding all alone. I'm now more Luddite, relying only on my feet and running shoes. So far I have not encountered any ebikes in these woods. Not yet.
fullsizeoutput_ed0.jpeg

Here's the approach to jump number 2. For some reason I did not capture the drop nor jump #3.
IMG_9851.JPG

Last edited:

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
In recognition of the fact that the 2020 Tour de France has commenced, I thought I'd post a photo with a TdF theme. Here I am at the Stage 8 starting area of the 2002 TdF in St. Martin de Landelles (in Normandy) about an hour after the racers departed from town. Prior to this we were situated about 4 kilometers out of town along the race route and enjoyed all the pre-race fanfare prior to the riders streaking by on a very slightly uphill stretch of road. Once all the spectators and police cleared out, we rode into town and enjoyed the post-race atmosphere.
TdeF.jpg

A free souvenir I removed from a post while on our way out of town to our next destination. It now hangs in our garage.
D8C2D16C-48AD-4043-87FA-EA2DD8E7ABCB.jpeg

It was pure happenstance that we witnessed a couple stages of the Tour, as we were cycling south on the Cotentin Peninsula from Cherbourg after taking a ferry across the English Channel and were completely unaware of its current location or schedule. The morning before we attended Stage 7 we passed through a couple small villages where seating/signage was being erected/posted and decided to make some inquiries. We ended up in the small village of St. Quentin sur le Homme, approximately 9 kilometers from the finish line and arrived in time to experience all the festivities taking place prior to the arrival of the racers. The village was packed with Dutch cycle racing fans and they kept us well fed and hydrated during the several hours we were there. We had such a good time that, when we learned the start of the next stage was only a couple dozen kilometers ride away, we cycled to and wild camped along a rail trail in an agricultural area midway to the next day's route. This is a photo of a framed photo I took during Stage 7 of the peloton bearing down on me in St. Quentin.
79AEC9F0-3C02-48C0-AB46-6C6EA230A616.jpeg

Fun times!

James

Out There
Instructor
Was it not maintained for 15 years to get that look? What does a fresh cut board look like?
That bright yellow on the edge is a fresh cut. It’s quite fine grained wood. The growth rings are prob 3-4 times finer than western red cedar, 4-5 times finer than the hemlock underneath in the photo. That’s a guess.

Nothing done for probably 10 years. They originally laid the boards too tight so pine needles and dirt built up between in many spots. Even that prob would be not that bad if you cleaned it out with low pressure wash twice a year, or even just once. The killer to the board ends was the framing had a flat nailer underneath for the boarder. So every deck board end was on a solid surface. It never dried out, moss grew, ants attacked some.
Here’s an end-
CDD26F15-1768-45D5-A238-A78ACCE19709.jpeg

Properly laid, if you’re ok with not a smooth surface, even with little to no care it would be ok. That’s in VT. For some reason, when this was built there was local supply of Alaskan Yellow Cedar.

Even with all that, if you cut the ends off, removed the most rotten edge pieces, most of it was solid. But the knots pop up, and you get a lot of surface defects, you get some depressions that hold water. Lack of pre drilling and counter sinking for screws also caused damage that gets worse over the years.
It needs sanding unless you’re ok with it. It really needs a finish. So there goes the natural gray.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
That bright yellow on the edge is a fresh cut. It’s quite fine grained wood. The growth rings are prob 3-4 times finer than western red cedar, 4-5 times finer than the hemlock underneath in the photo. That’s a guess.

Nothing done for probably 10 years. They originally laid the boards too tight so pine needles and dirt built up between in many spots. Even that prob would be not that bad if you cleaned it out with low pressure wash twice a year, or even just once. The killer to the board ends was the framing had a flat nailer underneath for the boarder. So every deck board end was on a solid surface. It never dried out, moss grew, ants attacked some.
Here’s an end-
View attachment 109124

Properly laid, if you’re ok with not a smooth surface, even with little to no care it would be ok. That’s in VT. For some reason, when this was built there was local supply of Alaskan Yellow Cedar.

Even with all that, if you cut the ends off, removed the most rotten edge pieces, most of it was solid. But the knots pop up, and you get a lot of surface defects, you get some depressions that hold water. Lack of pre drilling and counter sinking for screws also caused damage that gets worse over the years.
It needs sanding unless you’re ok with it. It really needs a finish. So there goes the natural gray.
You could power wash it completely clean and use a solid color stain to get a gray color you want. If you plan on taking all the boards up and cutting that damaged edge off you could also flip the boards and get a second chance to let it age naturally, it would let you reattach them with the proper spacing. But that is a lot of work. Good luck on the project, maybe you could post some pictures in the what have you been doing thread.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

Not my photo, but a cool one. The thread on Loveland's page is torn between C130 or Chinook as the location of the photographer.

1f4f7.png
Daniel Ling

Loveland from the air - 118770339_10157134224466193_8584762655152202443_n.jpg

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Very cool. Doesn't look like a C-130 to me. Too low unless they had a damn good reason to be down there. Also, the ramp on a C-130 has support struts toward the end of the ramp. I know, because In a previous life we had to get our instrument out to the edge of the ramp so it could look around the struts. Super fun flying on this guy with the ramp down:

Sponsor

Staff online