• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Crudmaster

tinyurl.com/pungjgt
Skier
Hiding out at Crystal Mountain has allowed me a lot of time with my dog and my point-n-shoot.

200710 dew on grass.jpg

200709  slug eats leaf.jpg

Who knew a slug could be so cute?

200630 thistle tight.jpg

Thistles are a favorite.

200530 small trio of morels.jpg

A handsome trio of morels.

This feels like photography for fun and on a whim, like it was before I became a pro (and then involuntarily retired).

Crudmaster
tinyurl.com/pungjgt

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Typical scenery experienced while cycle touring well above the Arctic Circle and tree line traveling from the Russian-Norwegian border on the Arctic Ocean to Nordkapp (Norwegian for North Cape), the so-called northern-most point in mainland Europe and Knivskjellodden, the actual northern-most point in mainland Europe. Although not seen in this photo, there are enormous amounts of reindeer in Lapland and we saw countless numbers along the roads and where we camped each "night".
Arcticride.jpg

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Photos taken of entrances to two of the dozens of tunnels we cycled through while cycle touring from the Russian-Norwegian border to Nordkapp/Knivskjellodden, then westward transitioning to southward to Trondheim. Cycled across and around many, many stunning offshore islands, which involved either an undersea tunnel, a passenger/auto ferry, or bridge to access. The longest undersea tunnel we rode through was ~7 kilometers long and the longest conventional tunnel was ~9 kilometers long but there are tunnels in Norway that easily exceed 30 kilometers in length (bikes not permitted). More or less following the Norwegian coastline, we were never far from the sea/ocean and cycled around numerous spectacular fjords.
Tunnel1.jpg

Tunnel2.jpg

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Photos taken of entrances to two of the dozens of tunnels we cycled through while cycle touring from the Russian-Norwegian border to Nordkapp/Knivskjellodden, then westward transitioning to southward to Trondheim. Cycled across and around many, many stunning offshore islands, which involved either an undersea tunnel, a passenger/auto ferry, or bridge to access. The longest undersea tunnel we rode through was ~7 kilometers long and the longest conventional tunnel was ~9 kilometers long but there are tunnels in Norway that easily exceed 30 kilometers in length (bikes not permitted). More or less following the Norwegian coastline, we were never far from the sea/ocean and cycled around numerous spectacular fjords.
View attachment 106472
View attachment 106474
Have you done a trip report? Looked like an amazing trip ...

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Have you done a trip report? Looked like an amazing trip ...
No, we’ve done several long-distance, one-to-six-month-duration bicycle tours but I’ve never composed a trip report. I enjoy reading the online trip reports created by other like-minded individuals, both for entertainment and research purposes, but have never been inclined to take the time to compose one of my own. I’ll say my excuse is I’m too busy skiing, snowboarding, skating, and engaging in a number of other (mostly) outdoor recreational pursuits.

I think my wife and I are in agreement that the cycle tour around Finland, Norway, Sweden, and Denmark is our favorite so far. We’ve visited a lot of countries, to cycle and otherwise, and Norway tops all others for relentless, spectacular scenery; however, what really made this adventure special was overcoming all the challenges that Mother Nature threw our way early on. We purposely started the trip earlier in the Spring than many would have because we wanted to be out of Lapland by the time insect season commenced. Neither of us have a high tolerance for relentless waves of various insects; as a result, we dealt with snowstorms, cold temps, heavy spring wind, etc. while heading north from Helsinki. We were prepared for and anticipated the conditions but it was very rewarding to push through the difficult times we faced. Thankfully, during the last 75% of the tour we experienced the mildest and sunniest summer Scandinavia had seen in over 20 years.

Here's a photo of my wife and our bikes at the Russian border. In the background is the Russian guard/gun tower. In the foreground are the Norwegian border facilities. No Norwegian guard/gun tower is needed because no sane Norwegian would ever consider or attempt escape from Norway to enter Russia.
russian border.jpg

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We loved Norway. Didnt cycle but used public transport to go all over...ferry, train, coastal steamer, bus and bikes one day. Beautiful and very friendly people. Great food. And everyone speaks perfect English.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
We know a few commonly used phrases in each of the Nordic languages but had no problem communicating in Scandinavia. The average resident under age 65 has a greater grasp of the English language than the average American, in terms of the scope of their vocabulary, in my opinion. A significant percentage of Scandinavians also are fluent in at least one other language besides their native tongue and English. The education system there is first rate, so much so that there is virtually no demand for private schools because nobody sees the need to flee the public system.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
We loved Norway. Didnt cycle but used public transport to go all over...ferry, train, coastal steamer, bus and bikes one day. Beautiful and very friendly people. Great food. And everyone speaks perfect English.
By coastal steamer, are you referring to the Hurtigruta fleet of ships? That's what we used to travel from Trondheim to Bergen. We intended to cycle that stretch of Norway but spent so much time in the Vesteralen and Lofoten Islands, as well as other spectacular locations in the Arctic, that we needed to make up time to stay on schedule for our departing flight from Copenhagen.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We did a one day leg of our trip on one of those. But have to say it was our least favorite of the many modes of transport we took. Norway has an amazing system of trains buses and ferries. I think we drove through one of those crazy long tunnels. We did some sightseeing by bike to a couple of small towns to see their stave churches, taking the bikes on the ferry. So much fun. I think Bergen may be one of the most charming small cities I've ever seen. And the Oslo Opera House some of the most stunning architecture.
20140717_190449.jpg

20140718_213433.jpg

20140719_175546.jpg

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Photo is taken from the very end of the Knivskjellodden peninsula of Nordkapp (recognized by many as the northern-most point in continental Europe). Nordkapp is actually the northern-most, drive-up viewpoint in continental Europe and is a popular destination for European tourists, as well as tourists from around the world who arrive in the nearby port of Honningsvag by cruise ship and take a charter bus the remaining distance. There is a visitor center, restaurant, a huge globe where everyone has their photo taken, and a large carpark at the viewpoint and a per-person admission fee is charged for those arriving by motorized vehicle. Bicyclists and pedestrians are exempt from paying admission. The Knivskjellodden peninsula lies several kilometers to the west and protrudes approximately 1,500 meters further north into the Arctic Ocean than Nordkapp and is accessed by an 18-kilometer roundtrip hiking trail across arctic tundra through several herds of reindeer.
Nordkapp.jpg

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Grand County, Utah: photo taken about midway between Dewey Bridge and the Colorado River Hittle Bottom put-in at the upper end of Professor Valley. In the background are the La Sal Mountains, in the shadows are some of the Fisher Towers (including The Titan), the remaining high terrain are the cliffs and mesas that line the river and valley. A small part of the Colorado River can be seen in the lower right of the photo.
LaSal.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online