• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Photo taken at the confluence of the Colorado and Green Rivers from the Confluence Overlook Trail in the Needles District of Canyonlands National Park.
The Confluence 1993.jpg

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Was down in Cody, Wyoming yesterday on a grandkid tradeoff. Took the scenic route back over Bear tooth Pass, had never been there before. If you haven't been, quit your job get in the car and go right now. UNREAL perhaps better than Banff, or Going to the Sun in Glacier.

Look on the left edge of the snow, that is the Bear Tooth poma lift. Snow is going fast. You drive above the top of the lift near 11,000'
20200712_110834.jpg

going up Dead Indian Pass (near the east entry point to the road). The scale of the area is unreal.

20200712_091936.jpg

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looking up at the Matterhorn during a long, all-day hike from our flat in Zermatt. At this vantage point we're the great majority of the way to our destination, the famous Hornli Hut, which can be seen on the ridgeline to the right of the base of the Matterhorn and to the left of my wife's head. We ended up continuing past the hut to where hiking ended and near-vertical climbing would have begun. Quite an impressive peak, no matter what aspect you're looking at or from what vantage point one is viewing it!
Matterhorn.jpg

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
from 12 July 2020, Bridal Veil Falls, UT (600' tall), panoramic photo, click to enlarge:
pano bridal veil falls, ut.jpg

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Three of these are from today, one is another sunset picture over Tahoe from Fri. and one is from our lunch stop on way to Tahoe (via Truckee) on Wed.
After cleaning cabin and loading for trip home for 4 hours (usual time to do decent job is 2 hours, powder days can be much less), we drove about an hour to Silver Lake and ate lunch. The two snow patches near top center are behind Kirkwood with the higher one close to top of The Wall.
9654SilverLakeLuciaCookieCRR.JPG

Our next stop was Lockford Meats. The last 4 times we drove by the line was too long to think about stopping. I dropped my wife who was about 4th in line outside while I backtracked 1/2 mile to get enough gas to make it home. On last drive-by the line outside wrapped around two sides of building. That is a Smoked Dakota on the BBQ, their famous street fair sausage. I had mine on Truckee sourdough with Dijon. My wife had hers on a salad.
9658LockefordMeatsCRR.JPG

We also stopped at a good fruit stand just before CA-88 hits CA-99 and my wife got a watermelon, another melon, Brentwood corn, tomatoes and more. Then we stopped at Delicato Winery, about 15 minutes down 99. They often have great cases specials when they are rolling out new vintages. These were $5/each for members when you buy a case. Not great wines, but good enough for every day and a great price.
9659NobleVinesCRR.JPG

Hang glider doing an extreme bank over Lake Tahoe on Friday night. Clouds make for a great sunset.
9624BankingHangliderCRR.JPG

Lunch stop on way to South Lake Tahoe last Wed. We'd planned to go to the Char-Pit in Kings Beach and eat on friend's deck overlooking the Lake, but they were closed and friend had to leave to support son who was riding around lake and had run out of water. So we went to higher rated Inclined Burgers and stopped in 20 min. parking overlooking Lake. Picture taken by my wife. We went through Truckee on way as I'd left ski pants for cleaning and repairs at TEC Cleaners in Jan. At South Tahoe the only business we entered was Safeway in Round Hill.
TonyInclinedBurgerCRR.JPG

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
^^^Seasonal lightning, or seasonal idiocy?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
^^^Seasonal lightning, or seasonal idiocy?

The text of the article doesn't address that. They indicate in the video they don't know what caused it. I know of one friend that had to evacuate. She brought her ski boots, but left her skis.

jseeski

Skiing a little BC powder
Skier
A Sunday afternoon drive in the Selkirks. This is a cut block a few years after re-planting. Not too hard to maintain social distancing here.

Southern BC gets a lot more rain than, say, Colorado. Re-growth happens faster. Also, even though it is mid-July, it's still green.

200712 NIK_1838 An afternoon drive.jpg

Castellija Affinis (common name Coast Indian Paintbrush) found along the side of the two-track road.

200712 NIK_1866 Coast Indian Paintbrush.jpg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier

The text of the article doesn't address that. They indicate in the video they don't know what caused it. I know of one friend that had to evacuate. She brought her ski boots, but left her skis.
She picked the right thing to save. Skis come and go but good fitting boots are much harder to find.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
There was no lightning in the area when or shortly before the fire started. Cause remains unknown.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We're keeping a COVID Hikes folder.. These from Raven's Ridge yesterday. The bald peak is Lake Peak and just below it is a small lake. The cirque and the lake create updrafts that the ravens like...Ravens Ridge is where they take their young to learn how to do acrobatics.

20200713_125313.jpg
20200713_110636.jpg

Sponsor