• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Uluru (Ayers Rock) in the Northern Territories of Australia back when one was still permitted to climb Uluru. We spent close to an entire day exploring the summit of this vast sandstone rock formation with friends of ours from Toowoomba, Queensland.
View attachment 105491
When we visited Goblin Valley State Park in Utah this spring I had the feeling that it won't be long before they stop allowing tourists to wander willy-nilly throughout the sandstone formations. And rightly so. They just seemed so fragile that they will be loved to death if folks aren't kept to strict paths (I'm thinking like the railed paths in Carlsbad Caverns) instead of being allowed to climb all over everything.
goblin valley precarious rock 13 may.jpg
goblin valley girl on rocks 13 may.jpg

panoramic photo
goblin valley pano 13 may.jpg

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Northeastern San Rafael Swell, as seen from the summit of Cedar Mountain. Most of the terrain featured in the photo is part of the Mexican Mountain Wilderness Study Area.
san rafael.gpg.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
When we visited Goblin Valley State Park in Utah this spring I had the feeling that it won't be long before they stop allowing tourists to wander willy-nilly throughout the sandstone formations. And rightly so. They just seemed so fragile that they will be loved to death if folks aren't kept to strict paths (I'm thinking like the railed paths in Carlsbad Caverns) instead of being allowed to climb all over everything.
View attachment 105529 View attachment 105530
panoramic photo
View attachment 105531
Your thoughts are well founded; however, nothing has happened in that regard in the near-seven years since this event occurred, which garnered national attention and outrage.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I just happened to walk to the front of the shore house and a guy is going by on a bicycle, he said happy 4th and I said the same and than I said Shotski. He stops and said I have not had many that know what I was carrying on the bike. It turns out he a rep for the Casamigo Tequila company and it is the only one on the east coast. If you look closely you will see the bike and the ski match.
IMG_20200704_174013.jpg

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I posted one photo of après sunset over Tahoe in Tahoe thread (probably taken about 5 miles E of @4ster pictures). Here are a couple more. First looking SW with Mt Tallac and a powered hang glider.
0DFA36D6-2ECD-4477-9565-B3CA660B1A70.jpeg

Next is looking NW with Twin Peaks (S of Alpine) at center and Sq—- Peak to right.
D35AFD2F-8571-48B2-957C-2A6CB0F3F4CD.jpeg

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Tongariro National Park in the interior of the North Island of New Zealand. Photo taken from the summit of Mt. Tongariro (6,456'). In the foreground is Mt. Ngauruhoe (7,516') and in the background is Mt. Ruapehu (9,177'). Mt. Ruapehu is home to the largest ski field in N.Z., Whakapapa, whose terrain can be seen in the photo. A second ski field, Turoa, is situated on the southwest facing slopes of Mt. Ruapehu and is not featured in the photo. After descending from Mt. Tongariro, we climbed Mt. Ngauruhoe and then mostly circumnavigated the crater, looking for the safest route in. Once finding it, we downclimbed quite a ways into the crater, did some minor exploration, climbed back out, completed the circumnavigation, and descended back down to the track (trail) we were tramping (backpacking). It was our intention to climb/summit Mt. Ruapehu too but it was not permitted due to the fact that authorities felt an eruption was highly likely/imminent. Sure enough, it did erupt several weeks later. Instead we backpacked all the way around Mt. Ruapehu and ended up back at Mangatepopo where we had started several days earlier.
tongariro.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online