• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
From today near the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon:
Interesting pair of grave markers, twin brothers "hanging out with best bud Lloyd & Floyd." They died two months apart at age 64.

floyd and lloyd.jpg

I call these Covid Rocks. I'm sure little kids have made them all over America during their time locked out of school. The one in the foreground says "carry on." There is one painted like a lady bug near it. Some are very elaborately painted, some display inspirational words/phrases, some have a patriotic theme. I hope some pro photogs are traveling around America capturing these and other unique images from the covid pause period for posterity.
covid rocks.jpg

jseeski

Skiing a little BC powder
Skier
Bicycle wheel sculpture in Rossland, British Columbia, Canada.

200620 NIK_0960 Rossland bicycle wheels.jpg

Rossland Range near the north end of the Seven Summits trail on a very cloudy day. It was misting lightly and there was some water on the lens.

200620 Rossland Range pano.jpg

Booty Creek and an "official" sign.

200620 Booty Creek1 pano.jpg

200620 NIK_0978 Booty Creek sign.jpg

View from the Seven Summits trail. Storm is coming.

200620 NIK_0980 Seven Summits view.jpg

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Tom, isn't that Mt. Index in the top pic? I thought it was in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness. If so, I suppose the pic was taken from Wild Sky since it's just across the valley. Nice work!

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
View of Kata Tjuta (The Olgas) from atop Uluru (Ayers Rock) in the Northern Territories of Australia back when one was still permitted to climb Uluru. We spent close to an entire day exploring the summit of this vast sandstone rock formation with friends of ours from Toowoomba, Queensland. On a skiing-related note, I'm rocking an old National Brotherhood of Skiers Park City Summit sweatshirt from 1991.
ayers rock2.jpg

View of Uluru as the sun was setting. What can't be seen are the large number of tourists from several dozen countries lined up alongside us taking the exact same photos from a designated location. We spent an entire day hiking all the way around the base of Uluru exploring its various overhangs and alcoves.
ayers rock.jpg

View of Kata Tjuta the next day as the sun was setting. Another fun place to spend a day hiking and exploring.
olgas.jpg

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@Daniel would you say the desert/rock landscape around Ayers Rock bears a lot of similarity with southern Utah?

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You caught a dragon fly in the foreground, did you not?
Doug, you have crazy good eyes. I didn't notice that guy before. Now that you mention it, there are tons of dragonflies in the Wasatch foothills. Close-up from same photo, looks almost like a drone, which I've also seen fairly often in the foothills:
dragon fly.jpg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Doug, you have crazy good eyes. I didn't notice that guy before. Now that you mention it, there are tons of dragonflies in the Wasatch foothills. Close-up from same photo, looks almost like a drone, which I've also seen fairly often in the foothills:
View attachment 105506
If there are tons of dragonflies there must be tons of mosquitoes because that is their favorite food. I have been told that they sometimes are called mosquito hawks, at least down south.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Daniel would you say the desert/rock landscape around Ayers Rock bears a lot of similarity with southern Utah?

The rock landscape definitely bears a great deal of similarity to southern Utah; however, there are several significant differences between the two environments. Australia is the driest continent on Earth and the outback or red center is the driest region in Oz. In some places in the outback, measurable rainfall may only fall every year or so. What little vegetation that exists is among the most drought tolerant on the planet. In terms of plant life, southern Utah almost seems tropical by comparison. Although the entire state of Utah would easily fit into the outback with an enormous amount of room to spare, the sum total of Utah's rocky landscape acreage easily dwarfs that of the interior of Oz. Rock formations such as Uluru and Kata Tjuta, generally speaking, are few and far between. They are approximately 25 miles apart but one can gaze in many other directions from their locations and see nothing but a flat, near-featureless plain as far as the horizon. The place that bears the most resemblance to southern Utah that we spent time at is Kings Canyon (kings canyon australia). It was easy to briefly think we were back home during our time there but even it is quite small compared to places like the San Rafael Swell or the combined districts of Canyonlands National Park. One big similarity is that southern Utah and the Oz outback attract large numbers of visitors from all over the world. We were in this area during the Southern Hemisphere winter. Temperatures during the summer in the outback soar to levels I'd find to be near unsurvivable. One final tidbit of information about the interior of Oz: it is the most sparely populated place on Earth outside the polar regions.

Sponsor

Staff online