• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jseeski

Skiing a little BC powder
Skier
This one might have something to do with skiing:

9661 130309 small signed.jpg

jseeski

Skier
A vegan bear. I feel so much safer.
Or is it just flossing its teeth to get rid of the specks of meat caught in between. :eek:
Actually, bears are related to pigs. They can and will eat almost anything, including grass, roots, insects, etc. Also, notoriously, rotten vegetables found in the garbage. They do eat meat, of course. One should never get too close and especially not between a sow and cubs. Black bears (far more common, especially in the US) are usually (but not always) pretty laid back if you don't surprise them or accidently get between the sow and cubs. Hence, bear bells. Grizzly bears are much more unpredictable. If you see one from your car, consider yourself privileged, but stay in the car. Be careful around any bear and give them lots of room. The photo involved a long telephoto lens.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess "sense of humor" along with "common sense" have all gone the way of the dodo.:nono:

Anyway, we don't need to know anything. We got goggle. :cool:.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Black bears (far more common, especially in the US) are usually (but not always) pretty laid back if you don't surprise them or accidently get between the sow and cubs.
That was certainly nice to know, when one of those things looked into our tent in middle of the night in Josemite few years back... problem was, it didn't help me not to get scared like hell. Not really perfect wake up view when you look up and see bear starting at you in middle of the night. And no there was no question who was scared more... it was me for sure. But good thing was, he was probably vegetarian so he didn't give a shit about two hotdogs in sleeping bag :D

jseeski

Skier
That was certainly nice to know, when one of those things looked into our tent in middle of the night in Josemite few years back... problem was, it didn't help me not to get scared like hell. Not really perfect wake up view when you look up and see bear starting at you in middle of the night. And no there was no question who was scared more... it was me for sure. But good thing was, he was probably vegetarian so he didn't give a shit about two hotdogs in sleeping bag :D
I've not had the dubious pleasure of having a bear peering into my tent. I've had one knock over a BBQ grill. It was a small bear and he actually pulled it over into his lap, which was what I saw when I flipped on the lights - a small bear with a BBQ in his lap and a very surprised look on his face. He promptly jumped up and took off. I saw him several times after that but he did not come up onto the deck again, maybe because of that killer BBQ that attacked him.

I have had the tent surrounded by coyotes in the middle of the night. They can be very noisy.

I guess "sense of humor" along with "common sense" have all gone the way of the dodo.:nono:
Anyway, we don't need to know anything. We got goggle. :cool:.

Sorry. If you wish, we can ask admin to remove the post. I didn't check in again soon enough to delete it myself.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've not had the dubious pleasure of having a bear peering into my tent. I've had one knock over a BBQ grill. It was a small bear and he actually pulled it over into his lap, which was what I saw when I flipped on the lights - a small bear with a BBQ in his lap and a very surprised look on his face. He promptly jumped up and took off. I saw him several times after that but he did not come up onto the deck again, maybe because of that killer BBQ that attacked him.

I have had the tent surrounded by coyotes in the middle of the night. They can be very noisy.

Sorry. If you wish, we can ask admin to remove the post. I didn't check in again soon enough to delete it myself.

I enjoyed the bear post :D

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Weather report looked promising on beginning of the week, but instead of snow there was quite some rain, and then -5c during night, so if someone didn't know how injected snow looks like, backcountry around Nassfeld ski resort in Austria, was perfect place to figure it out yesterday :D
But weather was perfect and even some 30 people on top of first mountain didn't spoil this too much, even though it was a bit scary going up checking all the time, people going down without much of control, would knock you down :D
spo_skitouring_20191130nw_21914a.jpg

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Sisters-wind.jpg

Windier as day progressed. By mid afternoon blowing snow wind flags shooting over the Notch Chute and Sisters volcanic rock ridge lines. Base now is 64" plus more this evening. So lots of wind blown powder blow in at top areas.

Last edited: