• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
It's February when school holidays are on for half of Europe, so ski resorts are full, which means it's time for me to try to find some lonely place high in the mountains or on xc skis. After week of xc skiing, and being dead tired :D, I picked my touring skis and headed out. As weather was perfect, reported avi conditions were 3 (in reality hardly 2), I wasn't really all that alone, but still much better then in ski resort or in city :D
Early morning start, 6h in mountains on sun, snow and almost +10c temperature, some 2500m of ascend and few nice 45-50deg faces in relatively good snow.... not really day to complain :D
20190216_102356-01.jpg

20190216_105507-01.jpg

20190216_121555-01.jpg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The picture is taken from video that I do not particularly like my skiing. So I feel like I'm cheating a bit ;)

Well it looks good to me. Don't worry about the rest of the video - you got a good single frame. :thumb:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
February is pretty much holiday month for me, and with sort of spring conditions around here, we sit in car and drove about hour away to Austria, where they got 20cm of fresh snow during night. Sure 20cm doesn't sound much, but when you have -10c during night and +15c during day, and you are skiing icy faces for almost a month, 20cm fresh snow sounds amazing :) We were sort of late, but no idea where everyone left from parking, so we were making our own track to top of mountain and what's even more important, making first trails on downhill too, skiing from mountain on left top all the way down. Ok due too much of wind on top few meters below the top, as it was more comfortable to change there then on top :)

20190223_123005.jpg

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A few shots from the Mountaineers Patrol Race this weekend. 19.8 miles of skinning and 380ft of clipped in descent. Not your standard skimo event - not USSMA sanctioned and teams of 3 are selected based on a lottery instead of qualifying times, so there are a handful of skimo spandex types and a lot of masochistic mortals. Technically to win, teams can't accept any assistance beyond a shot of whiskey, but for the rest of us, it's a super fun day with elk chili, beer, and Girl Scout cookies.

To sum up how it went, I got into the midway checkpoint and the volunteers asked what I needed or what they could get me. I blurted out the first answer that came to mind "a hug." I can't wait to get back next year with more sleep, more food, and more moleskin.

53074185_952233124974525_7595447902592303104_n.jpg
race1.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
IMG_6030.JPG

So, I bought a bottle of water this morning...
I don't look at the label till I sit down. Wtf? You've got to be kidding me. The mountain in the back isn't Sugarbush, it's the Aiguille du Midi in Chamonix, France. I guess why get water from Fiji when you can get it from Vermont.
Maybe it's a sign? Yes. Thirty minutes later it starts raining.
I was planing to go to Les Houches, one of the ski areas in the Chamonix. Valley. Because I couldn't get a guide, it's going to be foggy, and they have trees. Plus, no one ever goes there. Turns out everywhere in the Cham Valley is closed due to wind. Except where I decided to go, Les Houches. Back to the Vt theme, it's as if Mt Snow, Stratton, Okemo, Killington, Sugarbush, and Stowe all close but there's a free bus that will get you to Bromley in 20-60 minutes.
At least the rain, fog, and wind, (wait, are we in Vt?), will keep the crowds down.
Sign #2- two Scotsman carrying perfect Texas Suitcases off the bus. It's impressive actually. I know they're Scottish because one out of twenty words is an actual english word with a Scottish accent. All the other words I don't recognize. (Sorry, no photo. It was raining)

The Texas Suitcase carrying Scotsmen part to reveal a massive line for the gondola. (Like Bromley, it comes right down to the road) Sure, most people bailed, but every ski school that has to use snow has to take their students here. And not everyone bailed. So, it was crowded. And raining. At least graupel was coming down at the top. It would change to snow.
Occasionally, the sun sort of came out. The views must be phenomenal. What little that can be seen is breathtaking.

IMG_6031.JPG

Gorgeous.

And there's a train that goes up??
IMG_6032.JPG

IMG_6034.JPG

Can't see the wet. Well, you couldn't see much.

Last edited:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
20190302_124115.jpg

After a 6 month project, finally got to see Shoshone Falls with some water running over them. This is about an mile drive off of I-84 in Twin Falls, iD. on the Snake River. Claimed to be larger than Niagra Falls. What you are seeing are the falls just getting started; as the Spring melt hits the mountains these things will rip, come Summer they will look like this.

shosone Ffalls 101418.jpg

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
And FIS alpine skiing World cup season 2018/2019 is over for me :) This is last frame from course for this season, from today's men FIS World cup slalom race in Kranjska Gora. Now it's time for me to ski and don't think on work for a month... or at least as long as we have snow around here :D

spo_skiing_20190310nw_010448.jpg

Sponsor