• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Phones and Service Providers

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have been researching a change in cell service provider as well as new phone. It seems that Google Fi is a newer service that combines both cell and VOIP using Wi-Fi to get service if I understand it correctly. Does anyone have history with Google Fi service? If so could you share your thoughts on this service. Thanks

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
I have no history with Google Fi, but did recently switch to AT&T from Verizon after being with them since 2000. I selected AT&T after reviewing coverage for all carriers in my home area, in areas I frequent, and what they could offer me as a customer if I chose them. Took close to two weeks for me to make a decision but in the end my family has 4 new iPhone 11's, unlimited data, and my bill was reduced by over $80 per month from what I was paying previously.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Have a friend with Google Fi that has been quite happy with it.

Their service uses a mix of T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular networks if you have a Pixel phone (which is designed to be able to use multiple networks). If you have another phone that wasn't designed for Google Fi, you're basically just using the T-Mobile network. Whether you pay less with Google Fi depends on your plan and usage. I actually pay less for 2 unlimited lines with T-Mobile than I would for 2 unlimited lines with Google Fi.

Whether the coverage would be good for you is really impossible to say, it's been my experience that all carriers will have random dead spots even within areas of good coverage. If one of those happens to be at your home or work it'll be a big pain. I'd see if you know people around you with T-Mobile and Sprint to see what kind of coverage they get to see if you thought Google Fi would be a good option for you.

Edit: Oh and as for the wifi calling part, that's a feature you get with other carriers as well. That's not unique to Google Fi. That can potentially alleviate the dead spot problem I describe earlier, at least for your home. The main thing that's unique about Google Fi is the ability to work across multiple networks that I talked about.

Last edited:
TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

Skier
I am with Verizon now and the coverage is spotty at best in my home. My sister is with AT&T and when she visits her coverage is no better. Only a half mile away the service is better but I don't want to leave the house just to get consistent 4G service. I probably need to get a new phone but not an I-phone person so a Google phone would be OK. More info still needed, I have to check with some neighbors to see about other service providers.
Thanks

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We have terrible service where we live, so I have my phone set to use Wifi to call whenever available. On Verizon. You can do this at home too. Go to your settings and change them for Wifi calling. Verizon is expensive, but their service area in the rural rocky mountains, while not great, is still the best.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
WiFi calling is awesome for when you're in underground parking or the deep bowels of the gym or ...at Stratton with T-mob/Sprint. :roflmao:

BUT there's several weird things going on with WiFi calling, esp. on T-mob.

SMS/MMS does not always go through on WiFi; if you are a heavy text user this means dropped texts and unsent texts - plan on having a data-based app for messaging as a backup.

Ringing is not mapped correctly - for example it sounds like you've been connecting for aeons but the other person gets one or two rings;

If you default to WiFi-where-available and the Internet connection gets spotty (urban areas midafternoon or on public WiFi when default check-in period expires like in hotels/airports) the call gets dropped, and you have to manually disable the WiFi to dial out.

I am going to assume you have a US-market phone and not one of the international ones with multiple SIM cards *cough*OnePlus*cough* so I won't go into those problems.

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
In preparation for a trip to Austria next year, I've bought a Smartphone (Pixel 3a XL) for the first time, along with Google Fi. In theory, the coverage shouldn't reach my house, but it usually does, although several conversations have ended up going across my WiFi (there's a symbol that tells me this.) Once I've been skiing enough of the mountain, I'll report back. I like that they only charge you, for real, for data used, not in blocks. I don't have my second bill yet, but an only expecting $1.30-ish as I've turned off mobile data and only used it experimentally. The phone also has the ability to add a SIM (I'm using the eSIM at the moment). I'll do that if coverage at the mountain sucks and I still need Verizon and if I can figure how to use the Smartphone conveniently while skiing. My flip phone is pretty bomb proof and the battery lasts forever, so it'll be hard to give up. In the short term I'll be using both.

In this neck of the words, Verizon rules, so I'm guessing that if I can manage the smartphone usage (battery life and worry about breaking it--the flip phone probably has been dropped hundreds of times in its lifetime and is no worse for wear, plus it fits in smaller pockets), I may be going the dual SIM route. I read that Android 10 can have them both operational at once, but haven't tried that yet. Even if I have to flip back and forth, that's fine.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
As a Google Fi user, I just got an absolutely free, no shipping charge, Google Mini Nest sent to me. They are out of certain colors. I have not a clue what I'll do with this as I don't want Google listening all the time. If you have one of these things what do you do with it? I thought I'd leave it unplugged until I wanted something. Supposedly it'll dictate recipes, but apparently it won't teach you German, only translate it. And it'll play music, assuming you don't heave it across the room in frustration.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Got my first bill showing data charges. I still need to test around the mountain for service. It was snowing hard the other day so I didn't want to bring the phone out often. And without reading glasses the icons are tough to make out.
Screenshot_20191221-015551.png

TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

Skier
So it is official I now have a new phone and service provider. I went with Google Fi and the Pixel 3 phone. Still finding my way around so if I post something odd please bear with me. Thanks to all that shared their wisdom on the subject.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Found in a travel forum, posted in May
Screenshot_20200104-233940.png

Screenshot_20200104-234449.png

Screenshot_20200104-234552.png

I'm a bit concerned that this miracle only happens in cities and that the places we plan to go to won't have such perfect service, but I made sure most of the hotels have WiFi so we can use Hangouts or Skype.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Spending the majority of our lives in the rural western USA, we've found Verizon to rule, but you definitely pay for it.

But that ability to setup a hot spot while camping without fretting about data use is worth it, at this point in our lives.

Still, as a guy who decidedly does NOT live and die by his phone, the monthly bills annoy me.

TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

Skier
Spending the majority of our lives in the rural western USA, we've found Verizon to rule, but you definitely pay for it.

But that ability to setup a hot spot while camping without fretting about data use is worth it, at this point in our lives.

Still, as a guy who decidedly does NOT live and die by his phone, the monthly bills annoy me.
Verizon is the service I just dumped, not good coverage in my location and price is higher than most.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Verizon rules here, but the coverage differences don't affect me that often. I know I won't have coverage in Glacier or on the interstate anyway. I still have both Verizon and Google Fi and I suspect I'll merge them both onto the same phone shortly. And then in a year drop Verizon.... Maybe.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have Verizon and I just turned on a travel option that allows me to use my phone anywhere for $10/day - unlimited use for the day. I am only charged if I turn it on. When I have wifi access, I don't turn on data and don't get charged. It's been peace of mind when I've had to turn my phone on while traveling outside the US. I don't worry about how MUCH this will cost me.