• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review Philpug's Thumbnail Reviews, 2019 90-100mm All-Mountain Skis

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Atomic Vantage 90 Ti
Dimensions: 127.5-90-114
Radius: 18.4m@176cm
Sizes: 161, 169, 176, 185
Size tested: 176
Design: All New

These new Vantages are indeed all new, from their clean, understated graphics to the mesh construction with perimeter weighting. I really like the smooth solid feel that these give, light yet with responsive power … a connected "pop" off the snow. I know there are some contradictions in those thoughts, but that's how they feel: they have a solid pop, and they are playfully stable. The new Vantages are the happily married jumbo shrimp of skis.
  • Who is it for? You are looking for a powerful 90ish ski with an off-piste bias.
  • Who is it not for? The finesse skier; but no worries, Atomic offers the same 90mm mold without the metal for a bit lighter ski.
  • Insider tip: Don’t overthink the ski, just enjoy the ride.

Atomic Vantage 97 Ti
Dimensions: 131.5-97-120.5
Radius: 19.1m@180cm
Sizes: 172, 180, 188
Size tested:

I was excited to get on this ski because the previous generation never wowed me. It was a nice ski but just kind of ... there. I was able to get on this ski very early with [name drop] Daron Rahlves [/name drop] and was impressed with how solid it felt. We are seeing some newer mesh technology from Atomic, which has pulled it off nicely. The 97 Ti holds well on the snow with a connection I haven’t felt from the Austrian company in recent memory.

Usually light means nervous in a ski, but skiing the 97 Ti on firmer early-season snow (a loose term), I felt no nervousness at all, just a solid attachment to the ground. The gradual tip shape works well for initiation, and I like that Atomic narrowed it to 97mm from the 100mm of the previous generation.
  • Who is it for? Gentle giants; those who want to charge but maybe not all the time.
  • Who is it not for? Backseat skiers: the tip wants to be engaged.
  • Insider tip: Step up to the Ti for a bit more dampness.

Blizzard Rustler 9
Dimensions: 127.5-94-117
Radius: tba
Sizes: 164, 172, 180
Size tested: 180

When is less of a good thing, more? When Blizzard brings the very good Rustler shape down into the low-90mm range. With the longer wheelbase (contact length), the Rustler 9 has a much more connected feel than the Regulator it replaced. I think this is a really good 9/10 ski and probably a better option for someone whose 6'2" 220lb buddy thinks that everyone should be on a Bonafide. The Rustler 9 has a playfulness that we haven't seen from Blizzard in a long while.
  • Who is it for? Easterners looking for a playful one-ski quiver.
  • Who is it not for? Bigger skiers can overpower it, but that's why Blizzard offers options like the Brahma, Bonafide, and wider Rustler 10.
  • Insider tip: Blizzard is starting scale its sizing; good for them ... and for us, as skiers.

DPS Foundation Cassiar C2 94
See Long-Term Review.
  • Who is it for? A premium ski at an entry-level price without entry-level performance. Sound familiar?
  • Who is it not for? The biggest of the big chargers -- unless you want a playful ski.
  • Insider tip: Size up, and when you order them, step up and get the Phantom Permanent Base Glide Treatment.

Head Kore 99
Dimensions: 134-99-120
Radius: 17m@180cm
Sizes: 162, 171, 180, 189
Size tested: 180

Head has put together four solid ski collections (note the yellow/green/red/blue theme). Missing from the Kore up to this point was that fourth ski (the red one), so Head filled the gap between the 93 and 105 with the all-new Kore 99.

Head accomplished what I think it sought out to do, which was to create a ski that has the ease of the 93 yet the float of the 105, a task that sounds simple but is not always easy. There is a softer-snow bias with the new 99, and that is fine; it is easy like the 93, and that is fine, too. The 99 would be a great one-ski quiver for the West or a wider half of a two-ski quiver for the East. Either way, it is a great option in the 98-100mm category.
  • Who is it for? See above: a relaxed 99 for someone looking for versatility.
  • Who is it not for? Those who like a heavy, damp ski.
  • Insider tip: Head scales its sizes so that all skiers will get the same experience. Shop owners, you have the toughest choice. Chances are, you are not going to stock the 93, 99, and 105, so which two? All I will say…choose wisely.

Kästle MX99
Dimensions: 135-99-120
Radius: 20.5m@176cm
Sizes: 160, 168, 176, 184
Size tested: 176

The MX98 is a ski that would not die. Along with the MX88, the 98 was one of the original Kästles when the line was reintroduced about a decade ago. The MX98 was indeed a big-boy ski, one not for the meek. The MX98 was produced in low volumes, and it was one of the few skis made up to the gargantuan length of 194 cm. I could go on but I will save the history for another time; let's talk about the all-new MX99.

The MX99 is what the modern incarnation of the MX98 should be: it has a touch of early rise and a more modern elliptical shape and profile -- and you can feel the difference on the snow. The powers of the 99 are also more obtainable. This new ski is everything you would expect it to be but slightly more accessible.
  • Who is it for? Powermongers, this is still your chariot of choice.
  • Who is it not for? Mild-mannered skiers; although this new 99 is smooth, you must have the skills to get the most out of it.
  • Insider tip: Sizing is slightly off; IMHO, the reference size should be 178-180, not 176; many will fall in between sizes.

Liberty VMT V92
Dimensions: 133-92-120
Radius: 17.5m@179cm
Sizes: 165, 172, 179, 186
Size tested: 177

As we have said with the other Liberty VMTs, Liberty was the surprise of the show for us. The Vertical Metal Technology (VMT) created a pop that I had never really felt in its skis before. Liberty also moved from a 100% bamboo core to a mixture of bamboo and poplar (and carbon), which allows the ski to stay quieter on the snow. All of this together creates a design that works.
  • Who is it for? These ski like a wide carver that handles crud well.
  • Who is it not for? Old thinkers. Forget what you thought Liberty was -- I know I had to.
  • Insider tip: Liberty is no longer sitting on the sidelines. It is moving to the adult table with some very well-designed and -built skis.

Renoun Endurance 98 V3.0
Dimensions: 127-98-121
Radius: 19.5m@178cm
Sizes: 160, 169, 178, 184, 191
Size tested: 178

There is no question Renoun has been a darling of the Pugski community since its inception. For 2019 comes the first significant change to one of its core offerings, the Endurance 98. I say "significant" because the V2.0 was really just a rocker profile evolution where V3.0 is an all-new shape and flex pattern. To be honest, the only thing carrying over is the Endurance name and the 98mm width.

The new Endurance 98 feels much more connected due to the wider tip and tail, which both actually have less rise. Where the outgoing model is biased to 3D snow, the new version handles firmer snow much better and with more connection. The HDT really helps the new ski come alive and gives the ski more pop without losing the dampening that we have come to like from Renoun.
  • Who is it for? Chargers; Renoun added some horsepower to the Endurance.
  • Who is it not for? Still not for the frugal.
  • Insider tip: If you felt V1.0 and V2.0 were a bit vague on firm snow, here is your ski.

Salomon QST 99
Dimensions: 134-99-116
Radius: 19.2m@174cm
Sizes: 167, 174, 181
Size tested: 174
Design: New Construction

The QST was supposed to be a blend between the old Q-Lab and the old Quest, but in reality it was less of the former and more of the latter. Salomon is moving that needle by adding basalt to the construction to give it more Q-Lab-like power. The outgoing QST 99 (and 106) was a great shape in search of a construction; the construction had been good, but a fair number of skiers found its limit. Benefiting from the Tim “The Toolman” Taylor method of more power, the QST will be more ski for more people. Like a smart manufacturer, Salomon did not change what was working, though; it just added to the top end.
  • Who is it for? Finesse skiers who want to turn it up at times.
  • Who is it not for? There are still better options for 11/10 skiers.
  • Insider tip: Playfulness just got serious. The new QST 99 now requires more of your attention.

Völkl Mantra M5
Dimensions: 134-96-117
Radius: 19.8m@177cm
Sizes: 170, 177, 184, 191
Sizes tested: 177, 184

First, the good: Völkl did everything right with the new M5 Mantra. It went back to its roots and narrowed the ski, to 96 mm underfoot. It made the flex more balanced, tightened the turn radius, and, most important, brought back camber. These are all positives, the ingredients for a great all-mountain ski. So the M5 should be a winner, right? I know I was excited to get on it ....

Not so fast. The jury is still out for me. I don't like saying it, but occasionally there are skis that I just cannot figure out, and the M5 is one of them. I really wanted to like this new Völkl, but for some reason we did not get along. Trust me, it was not for lack of trying. I skied it at Copper, Snowbasin, Mammoth, and Mt Rose. I skied it in the 177 and 184. I skied it with the bindings fore and aft. So, four mountains, four types of snow, two sizes, and three mount points. Nothing.

I have never been more frustrated with a ski that I know is supposed to be good. So, until the light bulb goes off for me, you will need to rely on other reviewers' opinions about the M5.
  • Who is it for? Those who long for the first-generation Mantra, a truly trend-setting ski.
  • Who is it not for? While the new M5 is more accessible, it is still not a ski for the meek.
  • Insider tip: Sell your Mantras that are 98mm and above and put your order in now. Daddy’s home. Oh, and look for the upcoming M4 to replace the Kendo.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great reviews. Thanks Phil!

Nothing on the new Rossi Exp 94? I've never been a big Rossi fan (except in Moto GP.......) but a local hot shoe has been gushing about this one.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Nothing on the new Rossi Exp 94? I've never been a big Rossi fan (except in Moto GP.......) but a local hot shoe has been gushing about this one.
I didn't get on it..the only size that was available was the 187...a bit much for me. I do know that @Drahtguy Kevin who is an 11/10th size skier throughly enjoyed it. I look forward to getting on the 180 when it becomes available.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Thanks Phil, terrific reviews as always! :thumb:

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

The Exp 94 is a superb ski. A tad heavy but that weight leads to a stable, smooth, powerful ride. Rossi has the tip on this ski dialed. I found it very responsive without being hooky. Tail is on point as well. The excellent bump performance surprised me. The 94 devours crud.

Last edited:

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
First, the good: Völkl did everything right with the new M5 Mantra. It went back to its roots and narrowed the ski, to 96 mm underfoot. It made the flex more balanced, tightened the turn radius, and, most important, brought back camber. These are all positives, the ingredients for a great all-mountain ski. So the M5 should be a winner, right? I know I was excited to get on it ....

Not so fast. The jury is still out for me. I don't like saying it, but occasionally there are skis that I just cannot figure out, and the M5 is one of them. I really wanted to like this new Völkl, but for some reason we did not get along. Trust me, it was not for lack of trying. I skied it at Copper, Snowbasin, Mammoth, and Mt Rose. I skied it in the 177 and 184. I skied it with the bindings fore and aft. So, four mountains, four types of snow, two sizes, and three mount points. Nothing.

I have never been more frustrated with a ski that I know is supposed to be good. So, until the light bulb goes off for me, you will need to rely on other reviewers' opinions about the M5.

I could have written this verbatim about the Secret...minus the "four mountains, four types of snow, two sizes, and three mount points". In an odd way...your review makes me feel better about my thoughts about the Secret (that I have previously kept to myself). When I get another chance, I will get on it again, probably choose the next size down, and give it another fair shot.

Ugh. Just wanted to sympathize with your frustration for a minute...

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I could have written this verbatim about the Secret...minus the "four mountains, four types of snow, two sizes, and three mount points". In an odd way...your review makes me feel better about my thoughts about the Secret (that I have previously kept to myself). When I get another chance, I will get on it again, probably choose the next size down, and give it another fair shot.

Ugh. Just wanted to sympathize with your frustration for a minute...

Glad you added this. I have been waiting, with the arrival of the Secret, for gobs of female skiers to flock to it untested.....the new “it” ski....and discover it’s not for them. Maybe it’s a Secret who actually enjoys it, lol.

If Phil can’t find his groove on a ski, never mind 2 lengths of it, with 3 mount points, in 4 types of snow at 4 mountains, then who can? It will be interesting to see who gets on the Secret or M5 and loves it after the first run.

@Tricia have you demoed it?

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Glad you added this. I have been waiting, with the arrival of the Secret, for gobs of female skiers to flock to it untested.....the new “it” ski....and discover it’s not for them. Maybe it’s a Secret who actually enjoys it, lol.

If Phil can’t find his groove on a ski, never mind 2 lengths of it, with 3 mount points, in 4 types of snow at 4 mountains, then who can? It will be interesting to see who gets on the Secret or M5 and loves it after the first run.

I was really chalking it up to being on the wrong length. I've always felt, in regards to many Volkl skis, 170 is a bit long for me, and 163 is too short. I tried the 170 in the Secret and was thinking I might have enjoyed the 163 more :huh:.

That being said, my husband wasn't really feeling the regular M5 but he LOVED the VWerks Mantra.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
What's wrong with "not feeling it" on a ski? - anyone is going to find things they don't gel with even if on paper they should. And others that should be a big no no based on received wisdom and other reviews actually turn out to be pretty good - the Soul 7 was such a ski for me, way better than it shoulda been.

It puzzles me a bit why companies having had a hit with a ski at a certain size or sizes then want to confuse the market by brand extending the name across all sizes. I understand that it's all about the halo effect but in doing so they often dilute what the special sauce was that made the original so great and in the end confuse the market or just end up with a shrug. I'd simply not consider buying an Enforcer in any size frex, based on a disppointing indoor test of the 93 which felt like nothing special compared to say Kores or Faction CTs. I'm sure that's not fair but it's a consequence of name dilution.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
What's wrong with "not feeling it" on a ski?
Nothing at all. I skied on the Fischer Curv, by all reports a fine ski. It wasn't bad but we just didn't gel. Could have been the tune, the conditions, me, or ? As has been said many times, there are few bad skis but many wrong skis. Luckily, there are a ton of right skis too.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Naw, I think there are bad skis - including some of the ones I like and some of the ones I most dislike.
Oh, I didn't say there are NO bad skis. But for the number of skis out there, there a relatively few really just bad skis.

Sponsor

Staff online