• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It's just amazing how close to the edge that guy can step.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
On a different topic, I won't be coy: Happy Tunes at Sugarloaf still had a couple pair of NOS Latigos, last I looked. Worth a call in the fall if you're interested.

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Innuendo aside, I thought the Latigo was lightning in a bottle for Blizz, it was (is?) a ski so many of us should have as our everyday ski. If the (on a sliding scale of power) Brahma 82/Wingman 82/Monster 83 channels that, if folks aren't looking for a pure price point ski like Navigator 85/Experience 84 (which are great in their own right), those are what we should be on, unless it's a pow day.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Innuendo aside, I thought the Latigo was lightning in a bottle for Blizz, it was (is?) a ski so many of us should have as our everyday ski. If the (on a sliding scale of power) Brahma 82/Wingman 82/Monster 83 channels that, if folks aren't looking for a pure price point ski like Navigator 85/Experience 84 (which are great in their own right), those are what we should be on, unless it's a pow day.
This ski still exists on the women's side of the wall with the Black Pearl 78. Sad that they ended it in the Latigo.(yes spell check keeps changing it too Latino)

Marty McSly

Getting off the lift
Skier
This ski still exists on the women's side of the wall with the Black Pearl 78. Sad that they ended it in the Latigo.(yes spell check keeps changing it too Latino)
I suspect the Latigo was a bit of a stranded product. Many people think it's a narrow Brahma, but it's actually the narrowest of the "twin-tip" family that includes the Gunsmoke, Peacemaker and Regulator, and the only one of this family with metal in the layup. So it doesn't have the shape of the Brahma, but is damper than its wider siblings.

But for mine, it just seems to hit the spot in wet, heavy, soft snow, possibly because the tapered tip and rounded, slightly raised tail ensure easy disengagement from snow snakes. I haven't had it on hard snow yet, such is the lottery of Australian conditions. I'm hoping to try it on hardpack this year.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
But for mine, it just seems to hit the spot in wet, heavy, soft snow, possibly because the tapered tip and rounded, slightly raised tail ensure easy disengagement from snow snakes. I haven't had it on hard snow yet, such is the lottery of Australian conditions. I'm hoping to try it on hardpack this year.
I agree completely on the sweet spot for the Latigo.
I really loved mine and now my friend is loving it.

As for the twin tip, its really a bit of a rocker tip and tail than an actual twin tip.

*sidenote: hope to ski with you next year.

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
Hmm:

Atomic Vantage X 83 CTi (2019)
Dimensions: 125-83-111
Radius: 16.4m@175cm
Sizes: 161, 168, 175, 182

Atomic Vantage 82 Ti (2020)
Dimensions: 122.5-82-109
Radius: 17.5m@174cm
Sizes: 159, 167, 174, 181

Interesting!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
@Philpug The Volkl Kendo generally shares a lot of attributes with the Volkl Kenja. I loved the Kenja, until the 2016-17 version. Is the 2019-20 version of the Kendo go back a bit to its roots, or is it an update the model of the past two seasons? What about length... I have always preferred Volkl's more powerful skis shorter, when between two sizes. I felt the 2016-17 Kenja needed to be skied longer for stability, 7-10cm longer than the earlier models. How about the 2019-20 model you reviewed? Appreciate the thoughts... I'm looking for a one-ski ski that I can stash over at Alpine Meadows in the coming season that has enough power and hold to truly carve a turn at speed and yet can skid with ease in a teaching environment or crud. I love my Head Wild Joy and thought about just purchasing a second pair. It is awesome for personal skiing but doesn't "under ski" so well, especially in a skidding environment which I would be likely to encounter in Adaptive teaching. I've also thought about picking up a Kastle LX85 on sale, since they always ski amazing range.

I was wondering the same thing. I have the 2015 Kenja, the mostly black one with red markings. I like it better than the later versions. She's in pretty damn good shape but eventually will need to be replaced. Since the 2020 Kenja went back down in width (88 underfoot) I was sure hoping it had more in common with my 2015 87 underfoot model.

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hmmm, Phil's take on the Stockli AR is almost exactly what I thought/felt when I demo'd in March, really nice but probably a bit too much for my 72kg in 175 whereas the 175 AX was just right. I'm going to take this to mean my skiing has advanced even more than I thought!

Interesting. I'm about the same 72kg..ok maybe 73kg but as much as I liked the AX I loved the AR for versatility and specifically for plowing through the crud where the AX wasn't as happy. The other ski I liked was the MX84 ( and the SX but that's definitely more specific and not a slot I need to fill where I ski)

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
To be fair, I didn't go off-piste at all with the AR, while I at least dipped in just off the groomers here'n there with the AX.
The AR felt totally stable, very glued to the snow, but (for me) didn't have the quickness of the AX or the liveliness of the SR88.
My decision may have been influenced by having a Monster 88 in my quiver.
Going in, I expected to like and buy an SR88 to replace the Monster.
In the end, I decided I like the Monster more than the SR88, but the AX more than either of them or the AR.

ssh

Steve "ssh" Hultquist
Instructor
To be fair, I didn't go off-piste at all with the AR, while I at least dipped in just off the groomers here'n there with the AX.
The AR felt totally stable, very glued to the snow, but (for me) didn't have the quickness of the AX or the liveliness of the SR88.
My decision may have been influenced by having a Monster 88 in my quiver.
Going in, I expected to like and buy an SR88 to replace the Monster.
In the end, I decided I like the Monster more than the SR88, but the AX more than either of them or the AR.
I didn't do the AR because it seems an option with a narrower performance band. Of course, I'm "all in" with Stöckli and drive both an AX and SR88 depending on conditions and the kind of skiing I expect to do (often dependent on my group when I'm teaching/guiding).

I will say the AX makes me a more precise skier.

I also prefer all of them flat with Look bindings. They ski different with the system bindings, which is also what you get when you demo.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I will say the AX makes me a more precise skier.

I wouldn't go so far as to call myself a precise skier, but the AX is making me better than I was.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Mike Thomas did not think the Enforcer 88 was too bad.

5+ out of 5 on Ski Essentials test.

My list narrows.......

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I spent a lot of time this past Spring on a pair of 186cm Enforcer 88's; they proved to be my favorite single pair of skis for all-mountain use--equally at home zooming through several inches of Spring powder, bouncing down through good size moguls, ripping on firm morning groomers, and cruising through afternoon corn which turned to slush late in the day. The Enforcer 88's proved a bit more versatile than my old Brahma's, as well as some Monster 88's I tried a few years ago.

If I could only have one pair of skis for on-piste, all mountain use, I'd likely reach for the Enforcer 88's.

rocdoc

Getting on the lift
Skier
I spent a lot of time this past Spring on a pair of 186cm Enforcer 88's; they proved to be my favorite single pair of skis for all-mountain use--equally at home zooming through several inches of Spring powder, bouncing down through good size moguls, ripping on firm morning groomers, and cruising through afternoon corn which turned to slush late in the day. The Enforcer 88's proved a bit more versatile than my old Brahma's, as well as some Monster 88's I tried a few years ago.

If I could only have one pair of skis for on-piste, all mountain use, I'd likely reach for the Enforcer 88's.

As a new owner of a pair of Enforcer 88s, this makes me happy to read :) Can't wait to put them on snow.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I recently picked up a pair of Enforcer 104's which have yet to hit snow; I am hoping they will prove as fun off-piste and the Enforcer 88's were on-piste.......now if it will only start snowing again....

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Any more feedback on the Kendo 88, maybe even against the enforcer 88s.

I have the deacon 84 and mantra 102 (2020 3d radius versions) and loooove em! But fitting something in between could also be fun, I see they are starting to go on sale where I live.

Sometimes the 191cm mantra 102 are a handfull.

Relegate

Booting up
Skier
I've been a long-time lurker and probably have an old account I couldn't find the Username for, so here I am again. I have a friend who is an advanced skier our local shop recommended the Deacon 84 to. It changed his life. Skiing with him I can't believe it's the same guy. I myself am looking at the 88's (Kendo, Enforcer, Brahma) and my inclination is the Kendo 88. I'm 5'11, heavy and strong with a racing background. My current daily ski is a Supernatural 100 which I love but it's too much ski for the Poconos and the 100 underfoot is a chore on the ice. Is the Kendo 88 a no-brainer? Basically I want a ski that I can trot around with my daughter and then sneak off and demolish some groomers on and then connect back with her. I like the idea of the 88's because the snow gets soft so fast around here and chopped up with ice underneath.

Sponsor

Staff online