• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review Philpug's 2019 Reviews, Technical Skis

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Blizzard Firebird Comp
Dimensions: 121.5-70-104
Radius: 14.5m@172cm
Sizes: 154, 160, 166, 172, 178
Size tested: 172
Design: All New

You want that 10/10 performance from a technical ski but don’t want a full-bore SL ski. These new hard-snow skis from Blizzard are indeed top notch.
  • Who is it for? Bigger guys, stronger technical skiers.
  • Who is it not for? Powderhounds. (I know, but I needed something.)
  • Insider tip: Treat yourself to a good 0.5°/3° bevel; you won't be disappointed.

Blizzard Firebird Race Ti
Dimensions:121-70-104
Radius: 14.5m@172cm
Sizes: 148, 154, 160, 166, 172, 178

You are getting a ton of performance with the Race Ti -- even compared to its more expensive brother, the Comp. Blizzard just makes good technical skis. Period.
  • Who is it for? Someone who wants a technical ski but doesn’t want to break the bank.
  • Who is it not for? The person who has more dollars than cents. Sure, spend the extra bucks if you must.
  • Insider tip: If you are a layman and want a carving ski, buy this and spend the extra money on a super tune.

Dynastar Speed Zone 12 Ti
Dimensions: 121-72-106
Radius: 15m@174cm
Sizes: 158, 166, 174, 182
Size tested: 174
Design: Carryover/NGT

Last time I got on the Speed Zone 12 Ti was when it was first released a few years back, so instead of regurgitating that review, I felt it would suit the community better if I wrote a new one because perceptions can change. Well, that wasn't the case with the Speed Zone 12 Ti. The ski is all I remember and more. In this segment, where there are a lot of new contenders, the Speed Zone is the old man -- but that doesn't hold it back, it will go up against all with its age and wisdom. The dampening that Dynastar puts in between the core and the sidewall really does make a difference: it is not just fancy words on the topsheet; you can feel how silky the 12 reacts on the snow.
  • Who is it for? Stronger skiers who like a few extra o’s in their smooth.
  • Who is it not for? Those who demand catlike quickness in every turn; it’s there, but you have to work for it.
  • Insider tip: Tip it and rip it.

Elan Amphibio Black
Dimensions: 121-73-104
Radius: 15.7m@172cm
Sizes: 166, 172, 178

This black beauty certainly has a different feel than the other skis here. Elan’s 4D design is technology that you can feel, especially in the way the metal is laid up. On the forebody of the ski, the metal is convex over a milled wood core; on the latter half, the metal is concave. This design gives a feel unlike the other skis ... and I like it. There is a smoothness and snap that makes the Elan just zing down the hill.
  • Who is it for? A-gamers; this is a rocket.
  • Who is it not for? Lighter skiers can get bucked.
  • Insider tip: The Amphibio rocker profile, although minimal on this ski, needs some attention when being tuned.

Fischer Curv DTX
Radius: 16m@171cm
Size tested: 178
Sizes: 157, 164, 171, 178
Design: Carryover

The Curv GT is getting the lion’s share of the attention in the Curv collection, but the DTX is the sleeper. At 72 mm underfoot, Fischer’s magnificent construction makes the DTX a real under-the-radar contender. This is a ski that you buy depending on the turn shape you want: if you want shorter turns, go with a size down; if you want it to ski like a GS ski, size up. There are no wrong answers, just more smiles.
  • Who is it for? You want a quick turn but not a full-bore SL ski.
  • Who is it not for? Crudbusters; go with the 80mm Curv GT.
  • Insider tip: Buy according to your desired turn shape.

Head Supershape i.Magnum
Dimensions: 131-72-110
Radius: 13.1m@170cm
Sizes: 149, 156, 163, 170, 177
Size tested: 170

The Supershape i.Magnum unfortunately suffers from middle-child syndrome. When there was just the Supershape i.Speed, it had a following. Then Head introduced the “wide” Supershape i.Magnum. Wide? Yes 71 mindblowing millimeters underfoot. Then came the Titan and the Rally, and the Magnum became, let's say, less popular. Yes, this is a shame because the i.Magnum is just as good as it ever was.
  • Who is it for? Technical skiers who don’t always want to use their A-game.
  • Who is it not for? “Me too” skiers; no worries, just get the i.Rally
  • Insider tip: Most shops are stocking the Rally and Titan, so it still takes some work to find these on the racks.

Head Supershape i.Titan
Dimensions: 138-81-118
Radius: 15m@177cm
Sizes: 156, 163, 170, 177
Sizes tested: 170, 177

In its third year on the market, the i.Titan has become the darling of the Supershape collection. The wide-body ski does everything and is suited for skiers who want to ski a multitude of conditions with a technically biased ski. This is the reference ski in this category, and for good reason.
  • Who is it for? Like the Magnum above, technical skiers who want to relax from time to time.
  • Who is it not for? At 80 mm underfoot, you give up some quickness.
  • Insider tip: When in doubt, go with the smaller of two sizes.

Nordica Dobermann Spitfire RB EVO
Dimensions:122-72-102
Radius: 15m@168cm
Sizes: 156, 162, 168, 174, 180
Size tested: 174

OMFG. This is a segment of skis where we will see a lot of options for the coming season, both new and returning. None are bad, and the differences are in their nuances. For some reason, the RB really stood out. I laid these over farther than any of the others and just could not find the limits. Rarely does a ski leave me speechless, but this one is special.
  • Who is it for? You will know it.
  • Who is it not for? You will know it.
  • Insider tip: When our testers universally praise a ski, it is special. Put your orders in early. If you are a dealer, order a few extra.

Rossignol Hero Elite Multi 78
Dimensions: 130-78-110
Radius: 13m@167cm
Sizes: 160, 167, 174, 181
Size tested: 167

With the new Multi, Rossi is attacking the wide carver market. After a few turns I had to look down to make sure I was on the right ski because the Multi was much quicker than I would have expected from a 78mm ski; even in the 167, there was no loss in stability.
  • Who is it for? Skiers who want a wide technical ski for all conditions.
  • Who is it not for: Skiers who want quickness; you do give up a bit with the width.
  • Insider tip: Try to find the limit, double dog dare ya.

Rossignol Hero Elite ST Ti
Dimensions: 122-68-104
Radius: 14m@167cm
Sizes: 157, 162, 167, 172
Design: New Construction

Rossignol Hero Elite LT Ti
Dimensions: 119-71-101
Radius: 17m@177cm
Sizes: 167, 172, 177, 182
Size tested: 177
Design: New Construction

Well yes, Rossignol made it pretty simple to understand: ST = short turn, LT = long turn. These two skis with their all-new construction featuring Line Control Technology (LCT), a vertical center power rail sandwiched by absorbers in order to reduce torsional flex, grip the snow with a subtle silence that was a refreshing change to having to hold the ski on the snow.
  • Who is it for? You know.
  • Who is it not for? You know that, too.
  • Insider tip: These are a great combo as a Nastar set or just as the hard-snow part of your quiver.

Salomon S/Max Blast
Radius: 17m@175cm
Sizes: 160, 165, 170, 175, 180
Size tested: 175

Salomon has a knack for making hard-snow skis, and it's just a shame that we don’t always see them in the United States -- definitely not as much as we would like. The Blast is the halo of the S/Max collection with its race-derived X12 binding, one of the more solid 12DIN options offered; it is the only binding in this class that is not GripWalk-compatible, because Salomon (and Atomic) believes it is a compromise on a ski like this. Back to the ski: Salomon went with a new beefed-up sidewall design that can be felt; put the ski over on its edge and there is a connection to the snow like only a few other skis have.
  • Who is it for? Chargers; this ski likes to run.
  • Who is it not for? Mortals, don't worry: Salomon has the X/Max 12 for us.
  • Insider tip: GripWalk wearers need not apply.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The wide-body ski does everything and is suited for skiers who want to ski a multitude of conditions with a technically biased ski.

That truly is the Titan in a nutshell. We disagree on the length issue, with me pining for a 181 or 2 version.

Thanks for the reviews. It's fun to start the interweb evaluation of 2019 offerings!

Good lord, some of these names don't exactly roll off your tongue. I'm looking at you, Nordica Doberman Spitfire RB EVO XYZ LMNOP.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That truly is the Titan in a nutshell. We disagree on the length issue, with me pining for a 181 or 2 version.

Thanks for the reviews. It's fun to start the interweb evaluation of 2019 offerings!

Good lord, some of these names don't exactly roll off your tongue. I'm looking at you, Nordica Doberman Spitfire RB EVO XYZ LMNOP.
That would be a great name for a ski The El Emenopee..or even a user name.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pugski, how would you place to Salomon XDR line generally compared to these skis (I'm specifically contemplating the XDR 80 ti).

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Pugski, how would you place to Salomon XDR line generally compared to these skis (I'm specifically contemplating the XDR 80 ti).
The XDR skis are nice but more fall in the recreational comsumer comparisions like the 70-80mm or 80-90mm threads. There were a couple of skis that i acutally had here that were moved to those like the Kastle MX74 and Salomon S/Max 12 that really could have gone either way.

Reactions: BMC

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Hi, Phil!

Great review series, as always, and very helpful dividing them by approximately 10mm increases in waist width. Question: I was at an Aspen clinic last week and my clinician was on next year's Rossi Hero Elite Plus (78 waist). Have you been on it? How does it compare to the Multi in the same waist width?

Thanks!
Mike

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hi, Phil!

Great review series, as always, and very helpful dividing them by approximately 10mm increases in waist width. Question: I was at an Aspen clinic last week and my clinician was on next year's Rossi Hero Elite Plus (78 waist). Have you been on it? How does it compare to the Multi in the same waist width?

Thanks!
Mike
Yes I was on the 78mm but in a length that I would not normally ski it, a 167. Solid ski but I would prefer to get on the 174 before I review it. But IMHO f you are looking for a wide SL ski, this ski will do what you expect it to.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

The XDR 80 is great carver with a really solid feel until you get on scratch hardpack. It feels really damp, with out being heavy. The biggest short fall is bump skiing.

Reactions: BMC

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
The Dobermann has me quite curious. I used to race the GSR EDT but it didn't like making too many turn shapes and was slow in gates no matter how much fun it was to free ski. I may have to wait a couple years for it to be discounted and pick up a set. I'd love to see a comparison of it and the Deacon.

FWIW, I love the Head Magnum and Titan. They compliment one another nicely for those who are typically on harder snow. The Magnum has higher adhesion on boilerplate and needs a good tip to tail working to put a smile on your face. The Titan handles fresh and crud better but can still get a good edge in on midwest man made.

caham212

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
How does the DTX compare to the hero LT TI as far as user input level? Which one is more versatile?

Dadier

Bike to ski. Ski to bike.
Skier
The Not Tahoe West Side / East Side Central Sierra
I skied the '18 Titan in 170cm three days last week, and loved them! Lovely cross hill carving, and enjoyed this weird way the tails have a kick I could use to jump into the transition to the next turn. Especially enjoyed that tail jump boost in cut up off trail 6 inch soft crud.

But ... don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, the topsheets and bases looked in near new condition yet both skis were delaminating under the bindings. My first clue was my boots (bsl 290) didn't fit nicely into the bindings, and when taking a diamond stone to the edges noticed a metal layer separating from the base of the ski.

Can't imagine bumps would do this since our area does not have a bump run and we were in Cali drought last year. Some techie's overexuberant hot wax job?
What could have caused this? Are there productions problems?
titan.png

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Found the same delamination - in same area - on the '18 Titans I got (via online purchase) late last season. Immediately sent them back for warranty replacement. Didn't even attempt to ski them.

Other people reportedly encountered the same issue with the '18 Titans, but I've no idea how many skis were actually affected.

Got the replacements in Nov. They are the current '19 model. But: on one ski, the topsheet is slightly delaminated at the tail - where the topsheet meets the alum tail cap. Some adhesive residue was in the area that resembled super glue (not epoxy, I know the difference). So "somebody" tried to "fix" it, Sheesh. Not a really big deal because of where it's at. This time, I'll just repair it myself. I won't spend any more shipping $$$ on the things as they've already cost me way more than they are worth.

This fall, I managed to pick up some '17 Rallys at a swap meet @ a killer price. The skis saw relatively few days. Comparing the two, the '17 Rallys have better overall finish quality than my '19 Titans particularly in the machining of the tips and tails.

So, yeah, I'm no longer feeling warm fuzzies about Head quality. If I ever buy a Head ski product again, it will be via a brick'n'mortar ski shop, where I can (literally) inspect the skis with a magnifying glass before I buy them.

Last edited:

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Take a close look at the Atomic X 83 CTI. When I chose the Titans last season, my decision was virtually tied between the Head Titan and the Atomic X 83. I don't know about "a foot of powder", but the X 83 seemed more versatile than the Titan. Both are groomer zoomers and great carvers. The main reason I didn't choose the X 83 was that it would somewhat overlap a couple skis I already have. I really wanted a more carving centric groomer zoomer - so the nod went to the Titans.

Sponsor