• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Atomic Vantage X 86 Ti
Dimensions: 123-86-106.5*
Radius: 18.2m@173cm
Sizes: 165, 173, 181
Size tested: 181
Design: All New
*scaled

The Vantage 86 Ti is a bit of a throwback, back to the days of original Nomad Crimson Ti and Völkl AC50, a burly mid-80mm-waisted charger but now with a modern flair. Just looking at the black-on-black graphics of the 86 Ti, you can tell it means business. It wants to charge and take no prisoners, let alone names. Where most system skis in this class use $200-ish retail bindings, the Vantage 86 Ti uses the $279 Warden 13, one of the few MNC (multinorm certified) bindings in this segment.
  • Who is it for? Bigger, stronger skiers unite.
  • Who is it not for? Finesse skiers; the ski will take you for a ride (but see our insider tip).
  • Insider tip: Lighter or finesse skiers, look at the Vantage X 83 CTi.

DPS Foundation Cassiar 87

See Long Term Review.
  • Who is it for? Skiers who want an entry-level premium ski without entry-level performance.
  • Who is it not for? Stronger skiers can overpower their regular sizes, so think about sizing up.
  • Insider tip: Look for the upcoming Uschi 87 and a junior version from this mold: the Wailer Grom available with a scaled-down construction and flex pattern in 148 and 158 lengths.

Fischer Pro MTN 86TI

Dimensions: 127-86-114
Radius: 15m@161cm
Sizes: 161, 168, 175, 182
Size tested: 175
Design: Carryover/NGT

The Pro MTN collection is one of those that, when it comes up in discussion, is usually followed by an, “Oh yeah, I forgot about them, they’re FUN.” Sad but true, we forget about these -- which is a shame, because you are getting a premium level of quality in these skis that you are not getting too many other places. Just look at the finish of the skis, they are bordering on jewel-like. Look at the topsheets and the beveling and the laser cutouts of the aluminum under the binding area. Look at the base finish. Fischer just goes the extra distance.

Past how they look, Fischers have a unique feel on the snow. With their progressive tip rise and sidecut that runs past the running surface, you are getting a nontraditional on-snow feel that you rarely find in this category. These skis are super easy into the turn yet hold throughout the entire turn.
  • Who is it for? Those who don’t want to have to earn every turn but still want power on demand.
  • Who is it not for? Tip drivers. Relax, dude.
  • Insider tip: You will be tempted to size up because of the tip design, but there is no need; these ski true to length.

Head Monster 83
Dimensions: 131-83-110
Radius: 16.7m@177cm
Sizes: 149, 156, 163, 170, 177
Size tested: 177
Design: New Construction

Head is not a company to rest on its laurels. The Monster 83, although not the most globally popular model in the Monster collection, has been a darling of Pugski readers. For 2019, Head revamped the 83 with a new shape, a revised balanced flex, and a tighter sidecut.

On the snow, it feels even more supple and smoother than the outgoing model -- which was already supple and smooth. The tighter turn radius makes the Monster even quicker than before, and tip engagement is even more responsive. Where the old model’s stability was its cornerstone, the new model doesn’t sacrifice that but is much better at lower speeds.
  • Who is it for? Those who appreciate refinement.
  • Who is it not for? Still the meek; the V10 is for you.
  • Insider tip: As good as the last generation was, this one is indeed worth the price difference.

Head Monster 88
Dimensions: 133-88-114
Radius: 17.4m@177cm
Sizes: 163, 170, 177, 184
Design: New Construction

The Monster 88 has become my reference ski in the 88-90mm category. What does that mean? That it's the best ski or the one that all others are compared against? Not really; it is the ski that I test the testing environment with. So, my first run of the day is on the Monster 88 because for me, it is one of the most predictable skis not only in the class but on the market.

Predictability. Is there really anything more you can ask from a ski? No one likes unnecessary surprises. We don’t like driving down the road and having a wheel fly off of a car and be told, “Surprise, I loosened your lug nuts." No, I want a ski that when I take it out I know exactly what it will do. Occasionally I give one of our members a hard time because he always recommends the Monster 88, no matter what. Most of the time he is correct, and that is for the reason I stated: it is just a damn good ski that is usually a safe bet.

For 2019 we see a change in the Monster, it has a slightly softer and balances flex and a new tip shape. On the snow, its feel is just what you would expect: predictable.
  • Who is it for? Those who appreciate refinement.
  • Who is it not for? Where in the past you needed your A game, a good solid B+ game will suffice here.
  • Insider tip: Like the Monster 83, as good as the last generation was, this one is worth the price differential.

Head V-Shape V10

Dimensions: 139-85-121
Radius: 13.6m@170cm
Sizes: 163, 170, 177, 184
Size tested: 170, 177

The V10 is the flagship of an all-new collection that splits the difference between Supershapes and Monsters. The V10’s reference size is 85mm underfoot, making it the most all-mountain of the top levels. The softer-than-Monster flex and wider-than-Supershape tip make the V10 a very easy ski to engage into a turn and fun at slower and all-but-the-highest speeds. Head nailed this new shape that is nothing like the other offerings in this class.
  • Who is it for? Those who like to turn … a lot.
  • Who is it not for? Bigger and stronger skier; fret not, Head makes the Monster 83/88 for you.
  • Insider tip: If you cannot afford a Renoun Z-90, here is your new bargain alternative.

Liberty VMT V82

Dimensions: 129-82-110
Radius: 16.5m@179cm
Sizes: 165, 172, 179, 186
Size tested: 179

(from the V76 review) Hmmm. Where did Liberty come from and when did they get on Pugski's radar? Well, it started last season when a mutual friend of Liberty and I suggested I look at them. While we didn’t have time to get them on the snow then, their finish did look far better than they did in years past. Fast forward to this year, the VMT (Vertical Metal Technology) collection caught our attention because of their shape; then our partners at SkiEssentials.com announced that they were going to carry them, further solidifying their position in our testing rotation.

The VMT’s shape just looked like fun, and any time a manufacturer brings a new flat ski in the low 80's, it draws our attention. The vertical metal additions to the bamboo core increase torsional rigidity and spring to the ski. These are not race skis, but they don’t claim to be, either.
  • Who is it for? For those who miss the Blizzard Latigo or Scott Black Majic, here is a sweet replacement.
  • Who is it not for? Those not open to nonmainstream brands. Your loss.
  • Insider tip: Call Ski Essentials, and order NOW.

Rossignol Experience 88 Ti

Dimensions: 127-88-117
Radius: 16m@180cm
Sizes: 159, 166, 173, 180, 187
Size tested: 180

See Long-Term Review.
  • Who is it for? Skiers looking for all-mountain performance. This is an 88 that is not limited to the groomers; it wants to explore.
  • Who is it not for? Lazy skiers. The new Experience wants some input from you; it is not a park-and-ride ski.
  • Insider tip: Unless you are looking to play with mount position or sharing skis and need flexibility in BSL adjustment, bypass the SPX Konect Dual binding and put on the all-new Look Pivot 14 AW Forza; the orange will pop and you will reduce some static and swing weight.

Stöckli Stormrider 88

Dimensions: 128-88-114
Radius: 19m@177cm
Sizes: 168, 177, 186

Stöckli went back to the drawing board after one model run of the recent Stormrider 88. This is unusual for a manufacturer, especially a premium builder that has less margin of error when building a ski (particularly in a financial sense). Stöckli decided that the lightweight balsa core was just not enough for a ski called "Stormrider," and in this category for sure.

On to the new ski. Thank you Stöckli for bringing back what I expect a Stormrider to be. Honestly, a premium ski doesn’t need to be for everyone, and the SR 88 has had its backbone returned and wants to charge again. There are plenty of skis for solid intermediates; the Stormrider needs to be earned, and the new one raises that bar up again.
  • Who is it for? Skiers who want refinement but still want to charge when in the mood.
  • Who is it not for? The new SR 88 will expose your weaknesses as a skier, so if you are comfortable with that ....
  • Insider tip: For the "who is it not for" crowd, find yourself a 2017-18 model.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ssshh Phil, don't tell people about the new version of the SR88-I just picked up a pair of the '17-'18 models and prefer not to have my man card pulled for skiing a "wimpy" ski ogsmile.

So far I'm very happy with them-be interesting to demo the new one next year and feel the difference.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Good reviews.

I would have liked to try the cassiar 87 in a 190cm length...

I liked the monster 88 when I demoed in a 177, though I usually ski a 184 size.

I also really liked the Salomon xdr 88 ti. But ended up buying the pro mtn 86 ti. I guess I didnt forget about them.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Head V-Shape V10
Dimensions: 139-85-121

Wow. That's a fat shovel.

But your review makes me want to try it and the monster 83 side by side.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Real wide shovel. If you crossed the Head iTitan with a golden retriever, you would have this ski. Honestly it skis nothing like the Monster 83, different animals.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

:eek::eek::eek::eek: Thats just too much. My backcountry/powder skis have a 137mm shovel and are 102mm wide.

but I agree, the review makes the new V's and Monsters tempting...at least they deserve a demo

My Monster 88 in 184cm have a 134mm shovel...89mm width

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Philpug how is the Monster 88 off piste. I road it at demo days at Schweitzer for 2 runs and really liked it - but snow was soft. I am thinking a day or 2 after a storm sort of snow.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug how is the Monster 88 off piste. I road it at demo days at Schweitzer for 2 runs and really liked it - but snow was soft. I am thinking a day or 2 after a storm sort of snow.
It is going to rock off piste. IMHO, it will do what you loved from the old one yet be a little more compliant when the snow gets softer.

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
I guess the new SR88 will be more like the current SR95?
Need to demo next year, too.

Ssshh Phil, don't tell people about the new version of the SR88-I just picked up a pair of the '17-'18 models and prefer not to have my man card pulled for skiing a "wimpy" ski ogsmile.

So far I'm very happy with them-be interesting to demo the new one next year and feel the difference.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
FWIW, the 18-19 Monster 88 in a shorter length (177 for me) is awesome on groomed. Hard, soft, it doesn't matter. Off piste chunder, I still want the extra length and stability of the 184. Around here, everyone is mounting them a tad forward... .5~1.0.

The V10 had excellent edge grip on hard snow. It's like a Miata. Just crazy turny kooky fun. It will make small hills much bigger for many skiers without quite the attention to detail needed for a full blown SL ski.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I picked up the SR83, because I wanted a narrower version, and I learned that ski is going away next season too.

I love the ease of mine...still enough power for me. Based on your avatar, you don’t appear to be a wimp. ogsmile

Africa

Booting up
Skier
@Philpug , I couldn't find the atomic vantage 86 Ti in the catalogue, only the 86 C, is it going to be available in the US?

SmileGuy

Booting up
Skier
Phil, can you expand on the on snow differences between the new and old monster 88? I love mine and find them so predictable and easy to ski so not sure if I’d want softer. I’m actually on the original and it’s my go to firm snow ski to rip groomers and bumps.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW, the 18-19 Monster 88 in a shorter length (177 for me) is awesome on groomed. Hard, soft, it doesn't matter. Off piste chunder, I still want the extra length and stability of the 184. Around here, everyone is mounting them a tad forward... .5~1.0.

The V10 had excellent edge grip on hard snow. It's like a Miata. Just crazy turny kooky fun. It will make small hills much bigger for many skiers without quite the attention to detail needed for a full blown SL ski.

Is the longest M83 really 177?

If so, no problem choosing between the M83 and M88 for bigger guys, since I'm with you on the stability comment.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Is the longest M83 really 177?

If so, no problem choosing between the M83 and M88 for bigger guys, since I'm with you on the stability comment.

No. The longest is a 184. It wasn't availible to test at the time. I know of one pair in the PNW and the owner has bigger feet than mine, so.... Anyhow, should be no trouble in the fall.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Assuming what you say is true, Kudos to Stöckli for realizing the error of their ways and going against the trend of building a reputation for a ski and then redesigning it to be more forgiving and easier to use for a wider range of wannabes at the expense of sacrificing a bit of their high performance (e.g. Dynastar Legend :( ).

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil, can you expand on the on snow differences between the new and old monster 88? I love mine and find them so predictable and easy to ski so not sure if I’d want softer. I’m actually on the original and it’s my go to firm snow ski to rip groomers and bumps.
The new one is just a bit smoother and rounder, it doesn't need the input the older one needed...but not at the cost of top end performance.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor

SmileGuy

Booting up
Skier
The new one is just a bit smoother and rounder, it doesn't need the input the older one needed...but not at the cost of top end performance.

I’m not sure I want to give less input. Although stiff, my 177cm m88 is as easy as I want a ski. I didn’t like the new enforcer because it responded to much to my inputs. Do you thin’ it’s possible that I like the new one less?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’m not sure I want to give less input. Although stiff, my 177cm m88 is as easy as I want a ski. I didn’t like the new enforcer because it responded to much to my inputs. Do you thin’ it’s possible that I like the new one less?
IMHO, the new Monster is everything you like from your current one...just better. Where the old one requires a certain amount of input, the new one merely suggests it.

Sponsor

Staff online