• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review Philpug's 2019 Reviews, 70-80mm Frontside Skis

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
DPS Alchemist 79 "The Trainer"
Dimensions: 123-79-106
Radius: tba
Sizes: 160, 167
Size tested: 167
Design: All New

This is a ski that I did not expect from DPS; in fact, just looking at it, neither would you. Not so much that the 79mm width isn't what you would expect, but the way the ski reacts on hard snow is what really surprised me, the Trainer is a scalpel of a hard snow ski.
  • Who is it for? The nonconformist.
  • Who is it not for? While this is called The Trainer, some might still want something traditional.
  • Insider tip: Yes, the 167 is the longest available currently; it is adult-sized.

Fischer Curv GT
Dimensions: 129-80-112
Radius: 16m@175cm
Sizes: 168, 175, 182
Size tested: 175
Design: Carryover

The Curv GT is a carryover from last year; unfortunately, I didn't get to ski it then ... which was my loss. Sure there are other technical skis in the upper 70-80mm range, but what Fischer does with the shape of the Curv sets it apart. The gradual tip shape make the Fischer one of the most versatile in the class. Relax, no problem. Charge, no problem. Float, again, no problem. (Yes, "float" is relative for an 80mm ski).
  • Who is it for? You prefer an explosive ski.
  • Who is it not for? You want to do all the work yourself; the GT is a ski that can do some of the work when asked.
  • Insider tip: You want it all? Get the RC4 The Curv Booster. Even at 74 mm underfoot, it has a higher-quality World Cup base and a race plate that accepts a Freeflex binding.

Head V-Shape V8
Dimensions: 130-75-112
Radius: 13.2m@170cm
Sizes: 149, 156, 163, 170, 177
Size tested: 170

The V8 was the SST (Surprise Ski of the Test) for me. At 76 underfoot in the reference 170 size, it could be the perfect instructor's ski. Narrow enough to be quick edge to edge. Soft enough to allow the skier to ease into a turn at a slow speed. Stable enough to let 'er run when needed. So, if you are looking at a Supershape but feel like you just don’t need all that power, the V8 could be the one.
  • Who is it for? Wannabe instructors that want but don’t need nth-degree precision.
  • Who is it not for? Bigger or stronger skiers who want to charge. No worries, there is the i.Titan.
  • Insider tip: Err on the short side.

Kästle MX74
Dimensions: 124-74-109
Radius: 14.7m@172cm
Sizes: 148, 156, 164, 172, 180
Size tested: 172
Design: Carryover/NGT

Could this have been put in the Technical Skis thread? Maybe, but just going by the MX (which stands for Multiconditions Cross), I decided it would be best here. If you have been on an MX of any year, you know what this ski is about: on-piste smoothness and, at 74mm underfoot, lightning quickness edge to edge. If you stumble into a ski shop that carries Kästles and you see an MX74 on the wall, you know that they take performance seriously and sell on principle.
  • Who is it for? The mature, the ‘couth.
  • Who is it not for? As with most MXs, if you have to ask why, the ski is not for you.
  • Insider tip: Walk past the system binding options and mount the best binding you can comfortably ski. You are spending over $1K for a ski; don’t shortcut on the bindings. This ski deserves the best: a FF Evo, Pivot 18, X-Cell 16.

K2 Super Charger
Dimensions: 127-76-107
Radius: 17m@175cm
Sizes: 168, 175, 181
Size tested: 175
Design: Carryover/NGT

Hard to believe that this is the third year for the Super Charger, because I have seen fewer than six pairs actually on the hill. For that reason, I/you/we should be ashamed. The Super Charger is one of the best skis in this class, and as I said from Day 1, I will put it up against anything from Europe. This ski just rips.

Every year when I go ski testing, I choose a ski that I know and is predictable to test the snow, and this year I chose the Super Charger and it didn’t disappoint. Our members here ask, “Why aren’t there a lot of hard-snow skis?" Well, for the past two seasons you have had one of the best ones on the planet right under your nose and chose not to buy it. When these great skis are gone because they aren't selling, you have only yourselves to blame.
  • Who is it for? This is the ski that can make carving great again.
  • Who is it not for? Intermediates, don’t worry, K2 offers the non "Super" version.
  • Insider tip: Buy now before K2 discontinues for lack of sales.

Liberty VMT 76
Dimensions: 126-76-106
Radius: 15m@179cm
Sizes: 165, 172, 179
Size tested: 179

Hmmm. Where did Liberty come from and when did they get on Pugski's radar? Well, it started last season when a mutual friend of Liberty's and mine suggested I look at them. We didn’t have time to get them on the snow then, but their finish did look far better than it did in years past. Fast forward, and the VMT (Vertical Metal Technology) collection caught our attention because of their shape; then, our partners at SkiEssentials.com announced that they were going to carry them. Those events solidified their position in our testing rotation.

The VMT’s shape just looked like fun, and any time a manufacturer introduces a flat ski in the mid-70s, it will draw our attention. The VMT additions to the bamboo core do two things: increase torsional rigidity and add spring to the ski. These are not race skis, but they don’t claim to be.
  • Who is it for? For those who miss the Blizzard Latigo or Scott Black Majic, here is their sweet Liberty replacement.
  • Who is it not for? Those not open to nonmainstream brands. Your loss.
  • Insider tip: Call SkiEssentials, and order NOW.

Salomon S/Max 12
Dimensions: 121-72-106
Radius: 15m@165cm
Sizes: 155, 160, 165, 170
Size tested: 170

As I said with the all-new Blast, Salomon makes some great hard-snow skis, and the S/Max 12 is another one in that long line. This ski really surprised us with its precision. It is a great option for someone who is looking not for an ultimate charger but for a ski that they can relax on and not have to give 100 percent of their attention 100 percent of the time, yet want the power there when they need it.
  • Who is it for? You don’t have your A-game all the time, no worries, these will be bring it back.
  • Who is it not for? Nth-degree chargers, no worries, get the Blast.
  • Insider tip: The 12 is GripWalk compatible where the Blast is not.

Völkl Deacon 74
Dimensions: 125-74-104
Radius: 16m@173cm
Sizes: 163, 168, 173, 178
Size tested: 173

Völkl Deacon 76
Dimensions: 122-76-103
Radius: 18.3m@176cm
Sizes: 171, 176, 181
Size tested: 176

Are you serious? No, not you Völkl, you the consumer? If so, how serious? Just serious? Or serious-as-a-heart-attack* serious? Well, Völkl has a new collection of skis that covers all aspects. I will start with the heart-attack-serious version, the Deacon Pro, because it has Marker's piston plate on it, the same plate Marcel Hirscher uses in the World Cup. No, I didn’t get to ski it, but I want to.

We did get to ski on the consumer versions of the Deacon, the 74 and 76. These skis go back to the heritage of the older Racetigers, nice and strong hard-snow skis, much more so than the Codes. They felt a bit sluggish at lower speeds but solid once you got them going. It is nice to see a simple sandwich construction return from Völkl.
  • Who is the 74 for? Simple, short-radius turners; East Coast skiers.
  • Who is the 76 for? Even simpler, long-radius turners; West Coast skiers.
  • Who are they not for? Those who prefer a lively, overly reactive ski.
  • Insider tip: Go for the Pro if you want to get the nth degree out of the Deacon, with the Marker race plate and a base that is race finished. I did notice a little chatter from the UVO, but that could have been because they were early-production skis.
*No one actually suffered a heart attack during either the testing of the skis or the writing of this review.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January