• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pet supplements

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In the past, I've used a little cod liver oil or an egg on dog food to help with dry skin or to enhance the coat.
It there any merit behind this?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Okay, while we're on it, with Ziggy we rarely had him on flee/tick medications while out here. In Michigan, it was an absolute must because ticks were rampant.
Obviously, we'll establish a vet out to talk about such practices when all this crazy comes to a dull hum instead of a freight train, but I'm guessing with Gypsy's thicker coat, she'll need some sort of flee/tick med, especially since we'll be doing a lot of hiking with her.

98A962F8-8450-46CA-BABD-389F63BBA691.jpeg

Heartworm is a no brainer.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay, while we're on it, with Ziggy we rarely had him on flee/tick medications while out here. In Michigan, it was an absolute must because ticks were rampant.
Obviously, we'll establish a vet out to talk about such practices when all this crazy comes to a dull hum instead of a freight train, but I'm guessing with Gypsy's thicker coat, she'll need some sort of flee/tick med, especially since we'll be doing a lot of hiking with her.

View attachment 101503
Heartworm is a no brainer.
We never use tick control unless we're going out of state to Washington or CA. The only ticks our dogs picked up were down by Auburn before we even thought about control. There are ticks in NV, but pretty rare in the Reno area. Not so much over the hill on the west slope if the Sierras down into the valley.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
We had some Lyme shot or something we gave them back in New Jersey (that was prior to 2003 so I can't remember more than that), but haven't needed that in Montana. I've been told there are ticks here, but have never seen one. It was A HUGE issue in NJ and PA. One trip to Hacklebarny State Park caused a single dog to have over 20 ticks, we spent all night removing them.

We give heartworm, of course.

I don't believe in flea collars on dogs, have seen and heard of many bad reactions and we've never had dogs with fleas.

One of my dogs has zinc issues for which he gets supplements, which haven't helped a bit after 2.5 years of trying.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Depending on the heartworm treatment it also acts like a flea/tick preventative treatment. Lyme preventative not familiar with.

Sponsor

Staff online