• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Performance Bike

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Performance is weird, and that's even before you consider Nashbar &c. You kinda have to know each location on its own merits - and I'm not just talking mechanics and their skills but also parts and softgoods selection is incredibly spotty store to store. Their online presence is utterly hopeless- scattered, inconsistent, redundant and sloppy - and every tire shopper knows it.

Funny enough, back ~ 2010 when Fuji and Kestrel were in independent shops they were also all over the trails. *sigh*

Personally I think they can still compete with the likes of MEC and REI - definitely against DSG and similar- but it's going to take a superb effort of reorganization and they won't do it on pricepoint alone.

Last edited:
TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Kinda like CyclePath here. Terrible franchise experience. Just not quite there...

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Its always sad when a bicycle retailer goes down. It is a hard business, much like other specialized sports retail businesses. Online sales have kicked a lot of shops to the curb.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Its always sad when a bicycle retailer goes down. It is a hard business, much like other specialized sports retail businesses. Online sales have kicked a lot of shops to the curb.
Still, in a business where a lot of the items are freight and handling intensive, a company with their business model should have had an advantage (bulk freight to store for local pickup).

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Most of my riding friends won't step in the local shop because the vibe has been so bad for so long Can't say this is a surprise

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Still, in a business where a lot of the items are freight and handling intensive, a company with their business model should have had an advantage (bulk freight to store for local pickup).

Yeh, wheelgoods come to mind here almost instantly.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bummer. Hate to see any bike enterprise fail.

I don't know much about them, BUT I stumbled into their bib shorts 10 years ago, and really like them in hot weather -- super thing and breatable.

And I love their similar bib knickers. They are NOT cold weather fabric. Just warm enough, and I pretty much wear them for mtb any time it isn't really hot. They are my own version of xc "armor" ha! No longer available, and I've been unable to find anybody else that makes bib knickers out of thin material. Suggestions welcome, but they all seem to be "3 Season".

Sponsor

Staff online