• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

People familiar with Volkl please read

awesomeame

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi there

First post. I'm 6'1" and 195lbs naked. I currently ride some RTM 73s in 166, (back skiing after a few years off) and blast around on all kinds of corduroy from black to green. The 73s are slow so I was going to bump up to some RTM 84 or 86's in 177 to also help with some of the over-skied late afternoon runs.

But this past weekend I found myself on an ungroomed, freshly snowed on, heavily skied hill similar to this picture, only there were more bumps/deeper snow/bumps.

maxresdefault.jpg

My RTM 73s were big trouble, and I found myself ass-over-teakettle several times. They would either hit the bumps and stop/slow significantly, or push/launch me around, lol. Worse still, one ski slowing, and the other taking off, haha. Floatation was not great in unskied areas, only the tips barely poking up through the snow.

Anyways, this experience unnerved me a bit, and I'm wondering if the RTM 86's are a poor choice for the above ungroomed terrain, and maybe I need to step up the Kendo/Kanjo or other free-ride model for these sorts of conditions. Or will the 86's make do? What do you guys think?

M

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@awesomeame

Where do u ski?.....
What terrain do you prefer?...
How many days a year?...

This will help in recommending a ski...

*I am 6’1 205.....and have skied a bunch of Volkls over the past 10 years....Currently ski a Katana in any condition....lol

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
It's likely that a different ski won't really change the way the snow is treating you. You are pretty big for a 166 ski length.

With that, the RTM 84 and 86 have a comfortably wide shovel that gets the rest of the ski up and over broken snow.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For that particular slope of ungroomed, skied out terrain, Kendo/Kanjo will have an advantage. Whether the RTM will "do" - I've seen people ski 76 waist skis in hip-deep powder and I've seen people rail on the groomers in their powder skis. Sometimes it's skill, sometimes it's sheer determination.

In terms of the RTM/Kendo/Kanjo, I think it makes more sense to look at the comparison at a broader level. Where's your "home" resort or ski area? Where and how often do you take trips outside your region? You mentioned skiing mostly groomers - has that been due to interest or the amount of good powder runs at your home mountain, or that your skill level just opened up that terrain?

Agree with @CalG that you're also losing a lot of stability on a ski that short for your stats - I'd give something in the 180s a demo before pulling the trigger.

TS
A

awesomeame

Skier
@awesomeame

Where do u ski?.....
What terrain do you prefer?...
How many days a year?...

This will help in recommending a ski...

*I am 6’1 205.....and have skied a bunch of Volkls over the past 10 years....Currently ski a Katana in any condition....lol

Currently I reside in Ontario, Canada and have only skied here. READ: 570 feet of groomed vertical, max. With the occasional dumping like last week which brought on this post. But the GF and I are planning trips next year to various east and west coast Canadian mountains.

Honestly I prefer hardpack fast rippers. But man I was so out of my element with this fuffy stuff....but I need to get used to the fluffy/bumpy bits with going east/west next year. I've only done about 10 days so far this season..given my location I get out about once a week.

M

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
. I'm 6'1" and 195lbs naked. I currently ride some RTM 73s in 166,

Anyways, this experience unnerved me a bit, and I'm wondering if the RTM 86's are a poor choice f
As others have said, its possible that its the ski choice but more than anything, its the length.
That being said, there are better ski choices for those conditions.
If you're looking for something that turns nicely but skis that kind of snow well, consider the Dynastar Legend 96, Atomic Vantage 97, K2 Mindbender 90, or perhaps (if you're sticking to Völkl) the Kendo.

Reactions: BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Currently I reside in Ontario, Canada and have only skied here. READ: 570 feet of groomed vertical, max. With the occasional dumping like last week which brought on this post. But the GF and I are planning trips next year to various east and west coast Canadian mountains.

Honestly I prefer hardpack fast rippers. But man I was so out of my element with this fuffy stuff....but I need to get used to the fluffy/bumpy bits with going east/west next year. I've only done about 10 days so far this season..given my location I get out about once a week.

M

RTM 86 would do....or the maybe the new Deacon 84 if you want “brand” new next year.

Kendo would be a great choice for your situation, especially if you start taking some trips....lots of history....can’t go wrong if u want to find new/old stock....or used.

The one definite is get yourself out of the 166.....Definitely size up....I don’t know what ability you are, but u could definitely go longer with whatever you choose.

@surfsnowgirl is selling her husbands RTM 84......I think in a 177......that could be a steal for you.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Based on your preference for hardpack and your home base, I'd lean RTM. They'll do fine if you're heading east, and there's a good chance they'll work out for the west too (even as someone who's a bit of an off-piste snob, I have to admit, some of the long, continuously steep groomers at spots like Revy are really freaking fun).

If you find yourself there on a powder day, looking to play around off piste, and the RTMs aren't cutting it, hit the demo shop for a true powder ski (and potentially buy one if it happens on the reg).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hi there

First post. I'm 6'1" and 195lbs naked. I currently ride some RTM 73s in 166, (back skiing after a few years off) and blast around on all kinds of corduroy from black to green. The 73s are slow so I was going to bump up to some RTM 84 or 86's in 177 to also help with some of the over-skied late afternoon runs.

But this past weekend I found myself on an ungroomed, freshly snowed on, heavily skied hill similar to this picture, only there were more bumps/deeper snow/bumps.

My RTM 73s were big trouble, and I found myself ass-over-teakettle several times. They would either hit the bumps and stop/slow significantly, or push/launch me around, lol. Worse still, one ski slowing, and the other taking off, haha. Floatation was not great in unskied areas, only the tips barely poking up through the snow.

Anyways, this experience unnerved me a bit, and I'm wondering if the RTM 86's are a poor choice for the above ungroomed terrain, and maybe I need to step up the Kendo/Kanjo or other free-ride model for these sorts of conditions. Or will the 86's make do? What do you guys think?

M
OK..where do we start. First a RTM 73 is a novice to intermediate ski..and in a 166, way too small for someone year size. Now, even though the RTM 84 and 86 share the same collection name, they are no way similar to the 73 that you have..especally if you are considering going to the 177..which IMHO is the right choice. As far as other 86-90mm options, there are many and most will be fine options. Lets take a step back here for a moment...are you boots of the same caliber as the RTM73? Are they an 80-90 Flex entry level boot? If so, tehy will need to addressed too. But right now as far as your gear goes, you are taking a (butter) knife to a gun fight.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As a fellow Ontarian, I can say that what we had for a day or two last week and the week before is not the norm. What we had last Friday (rock hard ice ) is more the norm.
You would do well to get a properly sized ( 177, 178) pair of narrower ( mid 70's) skis. For the trip out out west , take a pair of 90 somethings. But anything bigger than 80 is too wide for Ontario

TS
A

awesomeame

Skier
Lets take a step back here for a moment...are you boots of the same caliber as the RTM73? Are they an 80-90 Flex entry level boot? If so, tehy will need to addressed too. But right now as far as your gear goes, you are taking a (butter) knife to a gun fight.

Hi there

I'm currently running Technica Mach Sport HV-100 boots, here's the link: https://www.tecnicasports.com/usa/product-detail/?id_gen=2934&product_uid=357509&color_number=BLK

I have fairly wide feet, so I ended up in those. Custom formed orthodics in, and knee alignment done so they had to grind 1.5 degrees into the left boot. They're pretty comfy. I'm not really sure if there's a higher level boot that would work with my wide feet, or if I would actually need anything stiffer...these to me don't have much flex when compared to other people I "surveyed" while in line at the hill :(

M

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hi there

maxresdefault.jpg

M

For this stuff you need first, sturdy boots, any slop in the fit and too much flex in the shell = loss of control. Then a solid pair of skis in the 90mm width range or even 100mm about 180cm long give or take. The wider platform will be more stable in the deeper/softer snow. Plenty of great choices is skis.

I would think the Monster 98's should be awesome but they are no longer available new but its still a great ski that if you find one its a must buy.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hi there

I'm currently running Technica Mach Sport HV-100 boots, here's the link: https://www.tecnicasports.com/usa/product-detail/?id_gen=2934&product_uid=357509&color_number=BLK

I have fairly wide feet, so I ended up in those. Custom formed orthodics in, and knee alignment done so they had to grind 1.5 degrees into the left boot. They're pretty comfy. I'm not really sure if there's a higher level boot that would work with my wide feet, or if I would actually need anything stiffer...these to me don't have much flex when compared to other people I "surveyed" while in line at the hill :(

M
A 100 flex is on the low side for someone your size..but not the worst choice and with a 1.5* cant and footbeds, chances are whoever put you in that boot, has a pretty good idea what they are doing. So, back to the skis. Get a ski for the terrain and conditions you actually ski verses terrain and condition you hope to. If you are skiing your 570ft hill 90% of the time and west 8% and those fluffy bumps that you pictured 2%...they are the least of your concern in your ski choice. I think you are on the right track with the RTM 84 (moreso than the 86) in the 177..start there.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I too am a fellow Ontarian and I'm with Graham -> what you experienced last week ( Blue Mountain ? ) is a huge exception to the norm. I have a 70mm 170cm, and 83mm 177cm as my Blue Mountain daily drivers, and a 97mm & 105mm as my travel/trip ski.

Also when Blue gets its rare big dump, it is usually fluffy stuff over a very hard man-made base, which is a kinda strange to ski IMO. Out West or Europe, fresh powder over a natural snow base skis much easier than what I described at Blue. If you are unfamiliar with skiing a wider ski, an "All Mountain" 88-99 @ 177cm would be good starting point for a travel ski.

Last month my pal picked up last yea'rs Volkl 90Eight 177 from Corbetts in Oakville for $450 $C and added an Attack 13 binding, and he also has the RTM 84 177. The 90Eight ski has quite good edge hold for a ski its width IMO. Corbetts is out of stock on the cheaper 2017/2018, but have 2019 for $600 $C. Stop by there for a visit, and also look at the Nordica Enforcers and Head Kores in a suitable width. That said, as you are a wider ski newbee, renting such skis while on your trip is a great way to school yourself in what works for you.

Last edited:
TS
A

awesomeame

Skier
I too am a fellow Ontarian and I'm with Graham -> what you experienced last week ( Blue Mountain ? ) is a huge exception to the norm. I have a 70mm 170cm, and 83mm 177cm as my Blue Mountain daily drivers, and a 97mm & 105mm as my travel/trip ski.

Yeah I was at Blue before the big dump and it was pretty icy/fast. My 73's made out great that day. After the big dump we were at one of the private clubs nearby, which is when the suffering started, ha.

I've gotta say from reading all the replies so far, that I probably really need to be looking at getting 2 pairs of skis. One for hardpack/good conditions and another for ungroomed/messy hills/big dumps. Great, more decisions! :-/

M

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
While the RTM 73 you have is a little short for your weight, and not as good at high performance turns as say a Fischer WC SC, it's still a pretty good ski for our typical (I'm in Ontario too) conditions. It's biggest problem in the above conditions is the short turn radius.

I suggest, if you have the money, keep the RTMs and buy a Blizzard Bonafide or Volkl-108 for those rare deep days (in the second longest length they come in).

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Another Fellow Ontario skier who has a quiver and skis out West as well.

Biggest thing I find at places like Blue even when there isn’t much new snow is how tracked out and bumpy it becomes in all the steep sections of all the trails especially in the “interconnecting to other lifts” runs.
Was there this week with all the new snow and had no issues with my skis as they are all pretty good in crud. Crud performance is key I find on any Ontario ski if you want to have fun and ski in the afternoon.

A well tuned 84-95mm advanced ski about 180cm with some backbone will give you great grip when it’s firm first thing and then provide a ski that can cut through/over rougher afternoon terrain. Have skis from 84mm-116mm and use my 94mm Blizzard Rustler 9 most days as it rips hard groomers with its sharp tune and goes through crud/bit of fresh snow quite well. Mindbender 90Ti, Enforcer 93, Brahma 88, Monster 88 would be other great skis for a daily driver here that would still be very useable out West unless there’s a lot of new snow.

If you want to go for 2 pairs of skis, then go for something narrow as your Ontario ski and a get a 100mm or so wide ski for out West/east coast crud destroyer. Use your narrow ski as long as it’s not too choppy and switch to the wider ones if it does.
I bring out my Enforcer Free 104 when I still want to charge through afternoon crud in Ontario. Great in spring conditions too. If you don’t go super wide with your “out West” ski and stay near that 100mm range, it’s still very usable in the east unless it freezes solid overnight.

Monday-Wednesday this week at Blue was all on my Enforcer in conditions like your pic and it was great. Tuesday which had the most tracked out and bumpy conditions I skied easily skied 50k vertical that day Think I’ve skied my 84mm skis a total of 3 hours out of 910k vertical this year as my wider skis are so much more versatile here.

Reactions: BC.

sinbad7

Getting on the lift
Skier
@surfsnowgirl is selling her husbands RTM 84......I think in a 177......that could be a steal for you.

That's a very good option, in the right length. I'd be wary of the RTM86 though. That's a far less forgiving ski than the 84, which is a better all-rounder. I spent a day on the 86s in a variety of conditions and it's a ski that has a tendency to work you over. The skis belonged to a friend of mine and the demo binding allowed him to give all the guys in our group a day on them. Some used them for the whole day (like myself), others swapped back to their own skis at lunch, and one guy took a single top-to-bottom run then went straight back to get his own skis. Everyone's opinion was along the lines of "Whoa! They're hard work." I quickly learned to concentrate on skiing in a very technically correct manner; patient in transition, early engagement of the edge, don't try to shorten up the turn (brushed carve), finish turns correctly; they weren't particularly happy doing anything else. The 84s were comfy doing anything. Great ski.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I've got a pair of 84's, nice groomer zoomer. When the snow gets soft, they go back in the closet in favor of something bigger, longer and wider.