• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I honestly felt like crap while filming these, but the skiing looks about as good as your going to get on Icey variable, nonrhythmic eastern bumps. Run is National@Stowe. Here is some icey eastern bump skiing complete with skidding, rounding out turn, when possible, Hop turns down the spine of the bumps, Lateral hops to change line to better pastures, stem hops(aka Sequential hop turns), to change line up.

a couple thoughts, you are never going to get much angle in this type of skiing.

tactical choices are probably more important than than skills

Skills still matter namely rotational control and maintaining balance on the outside ski

As someone who use to hate the idea of non simultaneous edge changes and I am quite good at keep skiing matched on all angles, Stem Steps, and stem hops arent useless, but they should not be your only way of skiing. A well timed Stem hop can create flow and finesse where other wise their would be impact and no flow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
You make look easy but the sound gives it away! Nice skiing.

I don't miss the Jay Peak ice now that I'm more westerly focused. Looks like all of NE will be a gigantic ice rink after this weather clears out.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
You make look easy but the sound gives it away! Nice skiing.

I don't miss the Jay Peak ice now that I'm more westerly focused. Looks like all of NE will be a gigantic ice rink after this weather clears out.

thanks man!.

good I can get some more video of even harder ice bumps! Honestly after the rain and refreeze groomers will be slick, bumps will have some texture to them.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I recall a bump lesson with Weems a while back when I got tired and started to stem. He could tell I was getting frustrated so he said something like, "Sometimes that thing that we consider a bad move can be a useful tool"

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Josh Matta Thanks for making the video. It's very similar to the experiences around Tahoe.

I'm feeling better about my bump survival skills.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Josh Matta Thanks for making the video. It's very similar to the experiences around Tahoe.

I'm feeling better about my bump survival skills.
FWIW, I was thinking that after I posted in this thread.
I was skiing some terrain at Squaw that was decent and fairly edgable and was sidetracked into some small moguls that were in the shade. That was NOT the most friendly bump experience I've ever had.

Even though @Josh Matta was skiing at Stowe, it wasn't Stowe Ice, it was more like Squaw Ice.
:D

Last edited:
TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Hey, nice job!

What boards you on?

E 93.

Yeah and honestly part of the reason I didnt want to do this video, is because of the lack of context. @Plai you should get some video of your tahoe bump skiing.

but just to make sure I am going back on sunday if any bumps run are open after we hit 50 degree and then it is 15 degrees.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
E 93.

Yeah and honestly part of the reason I didnt want to do this video, is because of the lack of context. @Plai you should get some video of your tahoe bump skiing.

but just to make sure I am going back on sunday if any bumps run are open after we hit 50 degree and then it is 15 degrees.
The next time @Philpug and I are out, we'll try to get some video.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am sure National ice bumps are way more intimidating than what video captures as the actual steepness of the terrain. Nice job.
I am exposed to ice bumps at my home hill ( Seven Sprinds) every weekend and my performance is rarely a proud moment.
Thanks for posting.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Squice. Not friendly bumps, those. Throw in flat light and yer screwed.

I was skiing softer bumps at Kirkwood last Sunday, and in the middle of several runs the fog came in. Yes, soft bumps by braille. Slowed down and survived, not pretty at all.
It's got me thinking of drilling more short turns.

The idea of *real* ice by braille kinda really scares me.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
soft bumps by braille.

Welcome to W/B. SOP everyday.

It's got me thinking of drilling more short turns.

Don't need no stinking short turns. More like matching the turns to the bumps.
Feel. Feel with your skis (feet). Like reading braille except with your feet. Feel the bumps.
No use looking for things you can't see. Use your other senses when you are blind.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Don't need no stinking short turns. More like matching the turns to the bumps.
Feel. Feel with your skis (feet). Like reading braille except with your feet. Feel the bumps.
No use looking for things you can't see. Use your other senses when you are blind.

You must feel the force flowing within you.

Sponsor

Staff online