• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Peleton

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've had one for a couple of months. I've always been a runner, and I have a treadmill at home for the winter, but after injuring my calf skiing last season, I haven't really been able to run much. After multiple setbacks (calf would heal, and be fine for a month or so, and then I'd re-injure it and be back to square one), I decided to buy a Peloton to give myself a low impact route to staying in good cardio shape as well to get my legs into some decent skiing shape (I usually do a plyometric routine preseason, but the injury derailed that his year).

I'm very happy with the Peloton. I'd never really been a spin class kind of guy, but the convenience of using the bike at home, the quality of the classes, and the competitiveness of the leader board have all been great for me. After feeling miserably out of shape for an early season trip to AltaBird, I've dropped 12 pounds and my legs and lungs feel much stronger for next week's trip to Jackson.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
Just get Wahoo smart trainer - hook your bike up to it and use Zwift, TrainerRoad, etc. Bonus is you can actually go outside when weather is nice.

For a serious biker I think Zwift with a Wahoo is probably better. If you aren't a serious rider and like spin classes the Peloton is likely better. I think it is more work to swap a bike onto a Wahoo trainer than move the seat and handlebars on a Peloton.

Both have a place but I think they are targeted at different audiences. If it were only me I likely would have gone the Zwift route. That would never have gotten my wife engaged and she loves the Peloton and works our way more now than she did before we got it and it has stuck for over a year. I would have had to buy her a bike as well in addition to the trainer and she has said she will not ride on the road.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've had one for a couple of months. I've always been a runner, and I have a treadmill at home for the winter, but after injuring my calf skiing last season, I haven't really been able to run much. After multiple setbacks (calf would heal, and be fine for a month or so, and then I'd re-injure it and be back to square one), I decided to buy a Peloton to give myself a low impact route to staying in good cardio shape as well to get my legs into some decent skiing shape (I usually do a plyometric routine preseason, but the injury derailed that his year).

I'm very happy with the Peloton. I'd never really been a spin class kind of guy, but the convenience of using the bike at home, the quality of the classes, and the competitiveness of the leader board have all been great for me. After feeling miserably out of shape for an early season trip to AltaBird, I've dropped 12 pounds and my legs and lungs feel much stronger for next week's trip to Jackson.

Think you will find it helps your Ski fitness a lot. I felt very strong including a couple of powder days on narrower skis when I was in Utah. I feel as strong on snow this year as I have felt in a long time. I skied recently with a friend who is very fit from a gym perspective but doesn’t supplement with the bike like I do and I was much fresher and less winded than he was.

I love JH. Have fun.

PWSkiMD

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Got a Peloton for my birthday this past summer for my birthday. Haven't been skiing yet this year, but going soon and I feel like the strength I've from regular Peloton riding and HIIT training should have me prepared to hit the slopes harder than in past years.

Peloton has been great for myself and family. Both my wife and I use it and the kids will use it as well.

The bike itself is very high quality and the access to thousands of classes of different lengths, styles and trainers with new content such as Yoga, bodyweight classes etc. makes it hard to beat from an easily accessible high intensity exercise option that can be done despite weather and can be fit in to a limited schedule without hassle.

I know there's a lot of anti-peloton sentiment out there but it's unfounded. Probably because people that do it talk about it too much LOL! It's a great option for people with otherwise limited schedules and that don't want to ride on the road (I'm a mountain biker). In my area, the roads aren't very bike friendly so being able to ride when the trails are closed is great!

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Got a Peloton for my birthday this past summer for my birthday. Haven't been skiing yet this year, but going soon and I feel like the strength I've from regular Peloton riding and HIIT training should have me prepared to hit the slopes harder than in past years.

Peloton has been great for myself and family. Both my wife and I use it and the kids will use it as well.

The bike itself is very high quality and the access to thousands of classes of different lengths, styles and trainers with new content such as Yoga, bodyweight classes etc. makes it hard to beat from an easily accessible high intensity exercise option that can be done despite weather and can be fit in to a limited schedule without hassle.

I know there's a lot of anti-peloton sentiment out there but it's unfounded. Probably because people that do it talk about it too much LOL! It's a great option for people with otherwise limited schedules and that don't want to ride on the road (I'm a mountain biker). In my area, the roads aren't very bike friendly so being able to ride when the trails are closed is great!
It can be a bit of a cult and obsession with some folks but we've been very happy with our purchase. It fits into our families hectic schedule very well and everyone uses it to some extent.

Sponsor

Staff online