• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
http://www.peakresorts.com/news-updates/page-363/

I learned to ski at Hunter and probably have skied there more than any other place. Definitely an end of an era with the same family owning it since the beginning. The place has an interesting reputation, that was mostly earned decades ago. If you know how to ski it, it can be a lot of fun even on the busiest of days. Peak certainly has a strong hold on the metro areas of the northeast now. Hopefully they will do some good things for the mountain and a community that really needs it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wowzers. I loved skiing Hunter. Vermont skiing in a day trip for me.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Perfect fit with their model. Agree, hopefully they'll be good stewards, and invest some money. Might have some real upside in terms of skier days.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Perfect fit with their model. Agree, hopefully they'll be good stewards, and invest some money. Might have some real upside in terms of skier days.
To say the area is dated is an understatement, there hasn't been a lift upgrade in a generation. I heard that the Slutsky brothers didn't get along with the local powers to be...even though it it wasn't for them, there would be nothing in the town of Tannersville.

TS
SKI-3PO

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That's not completely true - they put in the six pack a few years ago and moved the old quad to the west side replacing the antiques that were over there. But I will agree that the place is somewhat dated.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That's not completely true - they put in the six pack a few years ago and moved the old quad to the west side replacing the antiques that were over there. But I will agree that the place is somewhat dated.
That is great to know. They needed it bad. There is so much untapped great terrain there. If they can open up above the beginners area and more on the west side, wow. I really liked skiing Hunter.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied at Windham a few times when I used to travel the state, but never Hunter. Looks like Peak Resorts likes acquiring smaller East coast/midwestern areas. I wonder if they will go after any other places in Upstate NY?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I skied at Windham a few times when I used to travel the state, but never Hunter. Looks like Peak Resorts likes acquiring smaller East coast/midwestern areas. I wonder if they will go after any other places in Upstate NY?
You have to go and ski Huntah, Vermont skiing in Nu Yawk and make sure you also people watch, especially on the weekend, it's like skiing in Brooklyn. I am sure "Go for da big air, Vinny" was first said at Huntah.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
As someone who was a weekend-only skier when I lived back east, I definitely appreciated the terrain Hunter had, but man... the weekend crowds were kind of a dealbreaker. I have a pic of a Saturday lifline at the main quad I'll try to dig up that was just unbelievable.

Also, the park they had at the time (2008-2011ish) was always so badly maintained. I once launched myself off the lip of the little pipe they had and landed on the top because the wall was so far from vertical. :)

I thought Peak did a great job with Mt. Snow. It will be interesting to see what they do with Hunter for sure.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
They need to figure a way to improve the snowmaking on West. The HSQ on Hunter West (installed in 2011) can handle more people except they have had trouble opening up 46 and Annapurna. You can only ski Clair's so much until it turns into an ice rink. A small lodge at West would be nice , too. Maybe they will be able to figure out expanding from West to the X-cut and beyond.

Paul88

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
To say the area is dated is an understatement, there hasn't been a lift upgrade in a generation. I heard that the Slutsky brothers didn't get along with the local powers to be...even though it it wasn't for them, there would be nothing in the town of Tannersville.
Although Hunter Mtn Improvements Are Not That Impressive. They Charge To Much For Thie Lift Ticket Prices & Can't Give Their Paying Guest The Guarentee Of Total Warmth, Comfort, Safety On Their Chairlifts. Even With Their New Northern Express 6 , Katterskill Flyer Your Paying For Utter Misery. Sitting On Wet Chairs, Freezing On The Way Up In The Wind, Rain. Look At How Many Times The Katterskill Flyer Was On wind Hold Or Closed Because Of The Wind. You Can't Even Ski Off Trails No Waist Deep Powder Skiing. ALL Artificial Snow. So Go To A RESORT That Is On TOP. KING OF THE Mountain. Hunter Mtn Doesn't Listen To The Needs Of It Paying Guest . Well Big SKY Montan Certinly Does Listen. They Listen SO MUCH & Spend So Much On Their Mountain Is WHY Montana & Big Sky Are On Top Of The World With The Birth Of The WORLD FAMOUS Heated 8 Passenger Chairlift *****RAMCHARGER 8******* The 1st Of It's Kind In The WORLD!

Attachments

• Ramcharger8_first_chair_WEB-e1545410358204-1140x641.jpg
    Ramcharger8_first_chair_WEB-e1545410358204-1140x641.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 4

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not really seeing where comparing BIgsky to Hunter is even a fair thing. Two different worlds. Its probably even much further world apart than it is to compare the Pocono resorts to the vermont resorts.

I have a lot of hunter ski days from my teen and 20something years. But honestly havnt been there in a couple decades or more. The drive , the crowds, is just not something worth a weekend day trip vs the much closer Pocono hills for what your getting. Not that you cant get some better skiing but I always remembered hunter weekend zoo crowds and what was more a party mountain with far too much nonsense and lift lines than skiing. Not to mention boiler plate being far too much a norm especially up top half the moutnain .

Not to say I didn't have some good ski times on the west side or runs like k27 ,hellgate, racers edge , etc (if im remembering the trail names correctly or they havnt changed) Honestly I probably couldn't ski those anymore..lol.or at least not as well. But too much nonsense with the inexperienced ski party crowds, lift lines, etc just made things not worth the trip anymore. The biggest saving grace "if" conditions were good was that west/backside where more experienced skier could avoid alot of the mess of the front. But it wasnt (from what i recall) always open nor also have good skiing. But when good it was a savior from the city mess of the front.
But overall just not worth a single day trip is what it got to be for me (maybe things are different nowadays IDK. . But for me.....going for a weekend (3dy weekend) Id rather drive the extra couple hrs and hit Vermont anyway. And nowadays that's only in my cards but maybe once per season if that. So my day trips are usually to Blue in PA.

Oh how I wish Iived out west for many reasons.

Sponsor

Staff online