• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Brew Master, Pizza Chef, back country skier extraordinaire and spelling B champ. ScottyB way cooler than me

pause

Putting on skis
Skier
I was disappointed to find out that the advantage card is going away. That was a great program for the DC/Baltimore crowd that is a bit far for a full season pass, but a good discount to take the edge off kind of high prices for these small hills. One semi silver lining I see is for kids and young adults. At least they offer a youth pass up thru 17 and the drifter pass for 20 somethings. Hopefully they add a youth price to their daily tickets to help get families on the hill. My plan for next year is the youth pass for my son and use his buddy-pass 25% discount for a daily ticket for me.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Living in the DC area, Peak has a monopoly on reasonable day trips. All other ski areas in PA, MD, and WV are more than 2 hours away (closer to 3 hours or more).

I really feel this is a very bad for the overall health of the sport. For where I live, there is now not a place for a family to be introduced to the sport in a reasonable way. I see families going skiing one day a year, but not more due to the costs. Most people are not going to drive 3 hours each way for a ski day.
Don't forget Bryce Mtn. I've been touting the beauties of that place for families and newbies for decades. Well run, good snowmaking, affordable, low crowds, about two hours from DC. Small hill, but fun for a day now and then.
bryce.jpg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^
And depending on where you are around DC, Massanutten is about 2 hours too. (At least from Fairfax it is.)

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier
It's funny, I live about an hour from Jack Frost, my own local hill and I was seriously considering the peak pass a week ago. The problem was in overall value, I felt like I got more out of a Blue Mtn Season pass ($400) and an Ikon pass. I lose the day trip value of Hunter ( only 1hr 45 mintues for me) but I feel like the Ikon gave a lot better options for New England and even some Montreal weekend trips - and if I take one west trip a year I can use the Ikon there also. I guess my thinking was outside of Snow and Wildcat not a whole lot on peak I would want to do weekend travel for - Ikon had far more choices.

If I was in Maryland area, I'd probably look at something like Blue Knob (still longer than I Would want drive) and an Ikon pass because if I was going to do real weekend trips i'd want to have a better mountain selection.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
BUMP New Night Tracker announcement - extended for all ages!

https://www.libertymountainresort.com/winter-sports-liberty/tickets-passes/night-tracker-program

(Epic/Peak pass buyers who have regrets are promised a refund process)

This is good news for both the former Snowtime resorts and many of the skiers I know. I’m sure this is a result of the many negative emails and calls the 3 resorts received from dissatisfied patrons coupled with a foreseeable loss of $ from the local DC night time skiers.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
This is good news for both the former Snowtime resorts and many of the skiers I know. I’m sure this is a result of the many negative emails and calls the 3 resorts received from dissatisfied patrons coupled with a foreseeable loss of $ from the local DC night time skiers.

Get the news out - if it's a proven program this year they may just bring it back next season.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Get the news out - if it's a proven program this year they may just bring it back next season.

I do know they reached out to all the club contacts from prior years, so that should help make the people who had purchased this pass in previous seasons aware that it is back in play.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid