• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta PCMR 2/13/20

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
2/13/20 was a really pretty day at Park City. Temps started out in the 20s and might have cracked 30 degs at some point. Fair skies, no wind and little to no lift lines where we went. Snow is good esp. in shady areas up high. I met PugSki member @jmills115 for the first time and his buddy Brandt. They are great skiers and good guys. Bought me a Blue Moon at the Summit House Restaurant, elev 9250'. We concentrated on two of the peaks with the most interesting terrain and good snow at PCMR; that is, 9990 and Jupiter. I snapped so many shots of these guys I thought I should create a dedicated thread/report. A storm is supposed to hit the Wasatch this weekend and could make things even better for those visiting Utah soon!

This is Brandt on our first pass through 9990 and we're in the Red Pine Chutes area. This is the Canyons side of the resort.
DSCN3237c.jpg
jmills, same area
DSCN3242c.jpg
both guys
DSCN3250c.jpg
These guys are fast movers. I had trouble getting a clear photo from in front and we were not messing around with any set up shots.
DSCN3252c.jpg

Jmills
DSCN3254c.jpg

All photos in this thread are mine except this nice one jmills took of me in Red Pine Chutes. Snow was a mix of loose powder and soft chalk.

14F1E817-272F-4EFB-BED1-C4F033EF93BD.jpeg

view from Red Pine Chutes on 9990, good snow up here. Super clear day.
DSCN3256c.jpg

Now we are in the Jupiter Peak area on the Park City side. It takes about an hour to get from 9990 to Jupiter with a bunch of lift rides. One of our goals was to ski that fairly open chute to the left called Silver Cliff, I think, per trail map. Big cliff on right edge of that chute.
DSCN3263c.jpg

Jupiter double chair is a pretty cozy old school lift.
DSCN3264c.jpg
Brandt in Silver Cliff Chute, took us two tries to find it through the dense woods above.
DSCN3271c.jpg
Looking down at jmills in Silver Cliff on Jupiter Peak.
DSCN3278c.jpg
I think the grey rock band is why they call it Silver Cliff Chute.
DSCN3281c.jpg
Brandt next to Jupiter Chair.
DSCN3296c.jpg
again
DSCN3297cc.jpg
Too much nostril in this photo, but it was a great day! We gotta do it again.
DSCN3302.JPG

Attachments

• 1581647478771.png
    1581647478771.png
    112.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
looks like a great day!- always good to find new ski buds .

looks like you guys found some good steeper stuff with quality snow

this is my 6th winter living in Utah and I have yet to ski PC /Canyons

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the great day Jim.
We are planning on trying to keep up with you again at Snowbird next Wednesday

Sponsor