• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Patrol Medical Training - Opinions on the NOLS WEMT course?

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hello all! A quick bit of background on broad topic. It's time to start developing my second career. I have had a reasonably successful career in software development. I left my job last December, did a winter of ski bumming, sold my condo in Boston (well, Somerville) and am moving to Minturn, CO. I have always been a goal oriented person. To that end, I've set:
1 year goal to complete the required medical training.
3 year goal to have worked some volunteer patrol and find the town where I want to settle.
5 year goal to be on full time patrol.
I'm happy for input on the overall approach, but on this thread, I'm looking for feedback/input on the NOLS WEMT course in comparison to other routes to complete the required medical training. I did WFR in January with NOLS and enjoyed it very much. WFR helped confirm I have an aptitude for medical care and was comfortable performing in extreme temperatures.

I was on the wait list for the NOLS WEMT course beginning mid October. I was notified there are opening available, but will need to move quickly. What do you think of the NOLS approach versus taking an EMT course through Colorado Mountain College, spread over several months.

The primary factor I'm considering is timing. It's very attractive to learn the material and complete the certification over a 4 week period. I have the time now and it fits pretty well in my schedule. I'd prefer the longer time span to better absorb the material, but am not overly concerned here. Completing the training now also opens up the opportunity to begin applying for volunteer patrol for the 20/21 season. If I don't take the course this fall, it will be next summer or fall when it's likely I'll be doing some contract software work and trying to juggle both.

Cost and location are not significant factors. I don't mind paying for room and board in Lander. Thanks in advance. Your input is appreciated.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would call the various Patrols at the mountains you are considering and have a talk about what they prefer. Will they accept NOLS training? Do they prefer EMT-B as a start point? Will they require you to do OEC? Colorado Mountain does have an WEMT program but it's an add on so like you mention, it's probably 2 semesters or more to get thru all of EMT including WEMT. The advantage of CMC is local recognition and any connection they may have with a resort.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I didn’t go WEMT (just regular) but I’ve worked with a few patrollers that went thru WEMT at NOLS. They got licensed through the state and National Registry, and knew their shit just as well as people that took EMT through regular channels, if not better. The licensure is the same, but the WEMTs got training in stabilization and transport that was much more intensive, and relevant, to the ski hill environment. Patrols that require EMT don’t have a real say-so in whether someone is a WEMT or an EMT - they just want the license, which is tested for and issued by the state. And the states accept NOLS training for testing.

WEMTs/EMTs can challenge/test for OEC certification (that many patrols have as a medical standard) without taking the training, but people with OEC cert cannot challenge for EMT license - they have to take the EMT training. OEC is a certification, EMT is a license.

My regular EMT training, taken at a community college, was directed toward people that would be working on an ambulance or in an ER. WEMT training is directed toward a more austere environment. The skills taught in WEMT are every bit as qualifying and appropriate to a patroller as regular EMT training. So, my advice is that there’s no downside to WEMT, and tons of advantage, so go for it. I was pro patrol for 13 seasons. I’d probably take WEMT if I was to do it again.

Last edited:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Training at Kirtland AFB, at the time, was not recognized by the stateat that time, to provide EMT certification. That changed and as a testimony to the USAF program our candidates crushed the standard.

We Alonso had a great deal of training in extracting from hostile, high-risk situations.

Beyond ski schools, I’d seek out current opinion leaders in the field. Get their feedback. If I where in your she’s I’d rock NOLs, and then a rotation in a rough city.

TS
MattSmith

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for the information provided.
I have decided not to pursue WEMT via NOLS or any other pursuit at this time. I am quite put off by this and am reacting to the news that I cannot be considered for the program due to my prescribed medication. It seems a positive test for marijuana eliminates an individual from consideration for the program.
Will I give up my goal to be on Patrol or compromise the principals that I've stood for since 2001? I guess if I were on Pozac, I'd be a viable candidate. Terrible.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
You can be on patrol w/o WEMT.

WEMT has different restrictions than OEC. And OEC is what most CO patrols -- at least those I've had to chat with recently in the Front Range -- require for joining patrol. There has been no discussion of our prescribed meds limiting us from participating.

Source: Currently in OEC for front range ski area.

TS
MattSmith

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thank you @jmeb - that is a good point and OEC is likely where I'll look to next. I was hoping to attend the upcoming October course in Landers to knock out this requirement while I had a good opportunity to do it. Just disappointed and being overly dramatic. It does make me wonder... what would happen if I went a month without medication. Good opportunity for self-reflection.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
If you express interest with a local patrol, many will allow you to shadow their operations during this season. Take their ski tryouts, potentially even do toboggan training this year. Then you could take OEC next fall with that patrol, and become a full patroller by next Dec/Jan.

Ski Copper and Copper both have volunteer patrols that would be worth considering that are near Miniturn.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Here is an example schedule for someone joining patrol in winter going with toboggan training first, then followed by OEC in the fall.

If you begin your candidate year with us in the Winter:
Mid December - Attend Ski Tryout (if you have not already passed) for OET Training
Early January - Alpine & Toboggan (OET) Training Begins
- You need a minimum number of 10 OET training days and to pass the Senior OET Clinic to be invited to take final toboggan test
Late March Final - NSP OET Senior toboggan test
April - New Hill Patroller Clinic combining OEC and OET skills
April to May- Come up often to get to know us as we prepare to welcome you next season
Mid August - You and your family are invited to join us at our Summer Party to get to know us!
Late August - Attend OEC Course Orientation Meeting
- Sign Liability Release and Confidentiality Forms
- Sign Acknowledgement of Expectations
- Pay for Course andMembership Dues (including CPR and Materials)
Early September - OEC Course Begins (CPR dates will be held during the course)
- This course will require attendance every Tuesday and Thursday night from Early-September through Mid-November
- Course is held at St. Anthony's in Lakewood every Tues and Thurs from 6-10pm
Late September or early October - Attend 1 weekend day OEC Refresher and 1 weekend day On The Hill Refresher at Ski Area (offered over the course of two weekends - the last of September and first of October)
Mid October - On-Hill Training Begins When Ski Area Opens (Mid-October) and Continues Every Weekend Until Early December (You are expected to train on average one day per weekend)
Early December - NSP OEC Practical final Examination (you are required to attend both days this weekend)
December-January - Work at Ski Area, Complete Patroller Orientation with Patrol Leader of Day
- Come up often so we can get to know you and vote you onto the patrol in January
Mid January New Candidates Voted On To Patrol (Probation Period Begins, and you are a patroller)
- You are nominated by the Training Committee, if we haven't seen you between OEC and now you will not likely be brought up for vote

TS
MattSmith

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
^^ This is an awesome post. Thank you for the information. An excellent template to follow for the next year!

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have decided not to pursue WEMT via NOLS or any other pursuit at this time. I am quite put off by this and am reacting to the news that I cannot be considered for the program due to my prescribed medication. It seems a positive test for marijuana eliminates an individual from consideration for the program.
Will I give up my goal to be on Patrol or compromise the principals that I've stood for since 2001? I guess if I were on Pozac, I'd be a viable candidate. Terrible.
Yeah, sucks. FYI where I worked, they had occasional random drug testing and if you were injured on the job it was mandatory. YMMV

OTOH, I sleep a bit better these days.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Thanks for the information provided.

Good decision!

Imagine your day in court following a troublesome event that you had to make decision about.

Attitude modification influences would not present well.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Good decision!

Imagine your day in court following a troublesome event that you had to make decision about.

Attitude modification influences would not present well.

And in a moment of emergency would you hope to be under the care, guidance and transport of a person under the influence? I sure wouldn’t. Are we really surprised a failed drug test would be a disqualifying factor?