• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive

Laner

Wax on, wax off.
Skier
My wife’s knee hurts only walking downstairs. The doctor says, to stabilize the patella, kneecap, until PT fixes the problem, use a knee brace with a hole in it. I found this rather simple one,

https://www.futuro-usa.com/3M/en_US...294529207&preselect=8757826+3293786499&rt=rud

Does anyone have experience using a brace to stabilize a patella and can share what works and what doesn’t? We ski next week.

I dislocated my patella year’s ago and I was strongly encouraged to wear a brace until I had fully recovered; the brace I was recommended was a j-brace to assist with keeping the patella where it should be. I assume it worked.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My boot fitter commented about my natural poor alignment (3* bowlegged on both sides) and I inquired about orthotics and he said it would be a good idea after I mentioned my decades long back pain and newfound right knee area pain.

The orthotic process was very detailed, he used both my 3D scans from the the boot fitting as well as video of me walking barefoot in shorts.

I will tell you that it initially felt like I had a ping pong ball under the instep of each foot. He said he could take some out. I asked if he felt they correct and he said absolutely. So I wore them for an hour the first day, maybe three hours the second day, and after three days I could wear them all day. After 5 days my decades long back pain was gone and my right knee no longer hurt when going up or down stairs.

These orthotics are life changing.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My wife’s knee hurts only walking downstairs. The doctor says, to stabilize the patella, kneecap, until PT fixes the problem, use a knee brace with a hole in it. I found this rather simple one,

https://www.futuro-usa.com/3M/en_US...294529207&preselect=8757826+3293786499&rt=rud

Does anyone have experience using a brace to stabilize a patella and can share what works and what doesn’t? We ski next week.

That will likely work. I prefer McDavid and Mueller braces but thats just me. I’d buy one, have her wear it some and see if it helps. If not I’d return it a buy a more aggressive patella brace.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
:eek:

Doctor told me to use a knee brace when I run, did I listen, No F'ing Way! Just looking at those things causes me knee pain! I cut back on frequency and duration, allowing my body a day or two of rest and recovery between runs has been key.
How are you doing on stretching? Often, the patella tracking issue is related to tightness, particularly in the TFL, quads, and hamstrings. Still, if you've got patella tracking issues, then not addressing it can lead to erosion of the cartilage in the knee, acceleration of osteoarthritis, and premature debilitating pain in the knee.

Seems like a pretty minor thing to use a knee brace that causes better alignment of the patella.
Mike

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
My PT asked me to use this brace and it works well.

https://www.donjoyperformance.com/webtech-knee-brace

Mike

Herself has been using those, for cycling and skiing both, *over* the Mueller, for about three generations of that Donjoy design. She reports a battle between slippage and irritating Velcro tension on the back; slippage being an irritant too if that hard silicone edge digs in next to the patella. She is not willing to give up the Mueller.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
:eek:

Doctor told me to use a knee brace when I run, did I listen, No F'ing Way! Just looking at those things causes me knee pain! I cut back on frequency and duration, allowing my body a day or two of rest and recovery between runs has been key.

She’s feeling acute pain from each step down a staircase,

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Herself has been using those, for cycling and skiing both, *over* the Mueller, for about three generations of that Donjoy design. She reports a battle between slippage and irritating Velcro tension on the back; slippage being an irritant too if that hard silicone edge digs in next to the patella. She is not willing to give up the Mueller.

No doubt fit plays an important role, making one better than another for each individual. So tough for me to choose, as her knee is currently in EU, not with accessible to me.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier

I use the mueller braces. I had meniscus surgery on my left knee and need it on my right knee. I wear the Mueller braces when I ski and it helps me alot. Mine bother me most when I walk down hill. I am trying to get through this ski season and then try to avoid right knee surgery through exercise and self rehab.

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have a subluxation (dislocatiing) of my left patella and my physio recommended this brace.

https://www.orthomed.ca/donjoy-tru-...-9yanLDjjXeNDiJgk-29C-5zPpAPmVCxoCLx4QAvD_BwE

Since patellas usually dislocate to the outside, this brace exerts positive adjustable pressure to push the knee cap toward the inside of my knee. You wear it next to your skin and It has grippy pads to keep it in the right spot on the knee and they are specific to right or left knee. I have been using the brace for six years now I like it so much I bought another for my right knee to wear for skiing and dirt biking.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
So, she's able to try on braces herself, like say, the Ottobock Patella Pro?

She would, if she weren’t so distracted by all there is to see in Venice. She asked me to get a brace. All I have right now is the Futuro, referenced in the OP. That, compared with the recommendations given here... well, it’s out of the league.

P-Ute

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds like the Doc thinks the patella is the source of the knee pain. I have chondromalacia patella and use “Mueller 4531 Adjustable Knee Support Black OSFM” soft braces on both knees when skiing for last 4-5 years. These are wraparound braces and are adjustable, but not specifically for patella stabilization. This brace is available online and I have seen them in store at a couple major drug store chains. Others like the sleeve/pull on type brace, the sleeve type would not stay in place for me. I would recommend trying several types and the cheaper braces first.

when starts therapy I would recommend your wife ask the Physical Therapist for brace recommendations and for any other things that would help, such as, orthotics. Don’t forget the exercises should be done religiously.

If she has pain during or after skiing, I have found the most effective pain treatment has been an ice pack over the kneecap a couple times a day and a day of rest every 3-4 days. I assume the Doc recommended ibuprofen, Aleve or Tylenol for pain when needed. A prescription anti-inflammatory may also be helpful. I have had my knee pain for >25 years but have already skied 58 days this season. Have a great trip!

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How are you doing on stretching? Often, the patella tracking issue is related to tightness, particularly in the TFL, quads, and hamstrings. Still, if you've got patella tracking issues, then not addressing it can lead to erosion of the cartilage in the knee, acceleration of osteoarthritis, and premature debilitating pain in the knee.

Seems like a pretty minor thing to use a knee brace that causes better alignment of the patella.
Mike
I always do stretching exercises after a run, sometimes a little before. My problem is more flexibility, (stiff and inflexible), then tracking, actually only one doctor thought I had a tracking issue, (subluxation I think it was called), the others as well as the PT didn't see it. My older sister has a tracking issue. Dctor wanted to cut the tendon until purely by chance he saw her walking at the local park, (which she is just fine with), and said she should stick to walking, forget running and forget about the surgry idea.