• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Passenger All-Weather Tires with 3PMSF aka "4season" tires discussion

jclee

Booting up
Skier
I wanted to get one of these all weather 3pmsf tires, but I can't seem to find any that are run-flat, and I don't want to run non-runflat tires without a spare. I ended up going with a non-mileage rated snow tire - Pirelli Sottosero 2- this year.
I drove to CO over the President's week with these snow tires and they performed fine on dry roads. They work very well over dry snow as one would expect. I did have one instance where the car took forever to stop over a slushy patch - way over the pedestrian crossing. So snow tires are certainly not completely foolproof.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Downgrade to the base model's 18" wheels. My 330xi came with 18" wheels and I got a set of 17" wheels to mount snow tires on. The tires are cheaper and the ride is better.

The 19" wheels are base model (M40i). And I had to factory order the car to get even those. They apparently do not even ship M40i models with less than 20" wheels to anywhere on the West Coast. That's ok, though, there were enough other specific features I wanted that simply could not be found on any lots. Including the optional spare tire that allows me to fIt the car with the Conti DWS 06s.

Last edited:

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Some of you might remember my posts about tire choice for a bay area / Tahoe weekend warrior.

I ended up buying a set of Kumho Crugen HT51 tires late last Fall.

They are still sitting in my garage, I've been waiting for the storms to put them on. So far I've done 7 trips this season to Tahoe and haven't needed them as its been a "dry" season.

I noticed Cooper came out with a new tire called the Discoverer Enduramax that is a 3PMSF tire. Anyone have these?

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
I'm on my 3rd set of Continental Control Contact rolling under our Forester. Not ideal for more than a foot of fresh but I have pushed through about 20" upon occasion. No complaints in slush or refrozen chunky junk. The eco compound does really well on cold surfaces, and also decent on warm dry pavement not wearing out too fast driving year round in a mostly summer climate. I get about 50K miles out of a set before I decide to replace them... when winter is comimg. Both sets I replaced were still totally good to go in non-winter conditions.
They also make a AT that is doing pretty well on the Jeep GC

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
I have a very limited selection of all weather tires for my 2019 X3 with kind of an oddball 245/50 R19 size. Tire Rack's tire finder algorithm spits out, in order, the Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate (relatively new), Conti DWS06 and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. The Goodyear is too new for them to post on-snow results and, needing tires for this season, I bought a set of tried and true Contis. But I'm very interested to see the test results for the Goodyears. Anyone here have those tires?
I have theMichelins on my Lincoln MKZ AWD 3.0 They have been on snow in Oklahoma and did well for the 2 inches or snow and slush. They are great in rain. the DWS06 or the pilot as 3 were the 2 tires that I was debating. I ultimately ended up choosing the Conti, but Discout tire didn't have them in stock. I ended up with the as3 which was more expensive by a little. Road noise was more prevalent according to my sales guy.
20200309_122646.jpg

Last edited:

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have the good years on my Lincoln MKZ AWD 3.0 They have been on snow in Oklahoma and did well for the 2 inches or snow and slush. They are great in rain. the DWS06 or the pilot as 3 were the 2 tires that I was debating. I ultimately ended up choosing the Conti, but Discout tire didn't have them in stock. I ended up with the as3 which was more expensive by a little. Road noise was more prevalent according to my sales guy. View attachment 96190

The text and photograph have me a little confused. Which tires do you have on your Lincoln MKZ?

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Some of you might remember my posts about tire choice for a bay area / Tahoe weekend warrior.

I ended up buying a set of Kumho Crugen HT51 tires late last Fall.

They are still sitting in my garage, I've been waiting for the storms to put them on. So far I've done 7 trips this season to Tahoe and haven't needed them as its been a "dry" season.

I noticed Cooper came out with a new tire called the Discoverer Enduramax that is a 3PMSF tire. Anyone have these?
I

With the upcoming storm I just mounted the 3PMSF tires today!

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I

With the upcoming storm I just mounted the 3PMSF tires today!

I just got the BFG Advantage TA Sport LT in the original posters list. I will report back once I have some time on them.
Wondering how that worked out for both of you. I ran into this thread today (when looking for something else) after ordering BFG Advantage TA Sport LT on Memorial Day when Costco had them for $150 off ($70 off tires plus free $80 mounting including road hazard). Total was about $500 including 9.25% sales tax for 235/70-26 installed with road hazard, etc. I could probably cancel order and get through November on existing worn tires although I noticed a small screw when checking tire pressure in one that does not seem to be leaking. SUV usually gets 20K or more miles a year, but has only 1800 in last 4 fours due to flying for skiing in Feb. and Mar. and stay at home orders in my County.

I've been running Michelin for the last three or four sets, but my SUV is old (2003) and has a lot of miles (almost 260K) and Michelins, even on sale from Costco were about $150-200 more. I'd probably had a couple of sets of Michelin LTX/MS and most recent ones were Premiere LTX. The former were 80K rated and I got close to that as I had extra rims and could save the better ones for winter. The latter where rated for 65K and I think the would not make that although some of it could be from wear in other suspension parts causing tires to wear faster. I went with BFG for higher snow rating and because I did not want to spend extra for Michelin again where SUV has at best two more ski seasons left.

For those from other parts of the country, note that skiers in the Bay Area face different tire issues that those who live in Canada or other places where it can snow at home and rain all year so recommendations for dedicated snow tires will most likely not be followed. We only drive in snow on some ski trips, some of us more than others. So our trips are 350-500+ miles round trip with typically less than 100 of those miles (and sometimes way less) in the snow. And if it is snowing in the mountains, it is most likely raining for most of the rest of our trips so wet braking, traction and resistance to hydroplaning are also important. Plus we are driving on wet and dry roads with no ice or snow in between ski trips. And most years from late Spring to late Fall we can get away with little tread as it does not rain much and Spring trips usually do not have much snow on roads.

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Wondering how that worked out for both of you. I ran into this thread today (when looking for something else) after ordering BFG Advantage TA Sport LT on Memorial Day when Costco had them for $150 off ($70 off tires plus free $80 mounting including road hazard). Total was about $500 including 9.25% sales tax for 235/70-26 installed with road hazard, etc. I could probably cancel order and get through November on existing worn tires although I noticed a small screw when checking tire pressure in one that does not seem to be leaking. SUV usually gets 20K or more miles a year, but has only 1800 in last 4 fours due to flying for skiing in Feb. and Mar. and stay at home orders in my County.

I've been running Michelin for the last three or four sets, but my SUV is old (2003) and has a lot of miles (almost 260K) and Michelins, even on sale from Costco were about $150-200 more. I'd probably had a couple of sets of Michelin LTX/MS and most recent ones were Premiere LTX. The former were 80K rated and I got close to that as I had extra rims and could save the better ones for winter. The latter where rated for 65K and I think the would not make that although some of it could be from wear in other suspension parts causing tires to wear faster. I went with BFG for higher snow rating and because I did not want to spend extra for Michelin again where SUV has at best two more ski seasons left.

For those from other parts of the country, note that skiers in the Bay Area face different tire issues that those who live in Canada or other places where it can snow at home and rain all year so recommendations for dedicated snow tires will most likely not be followed. We only drive in snow on some ski trips, some of us more than others. So our trips are 350-500+ miles round trip with typically less than 100 of those miles (and sometimes way less) in the snow. And if it is snowing in the mountains, it is most likely raining for most of the rest of our trips so wet braking, traction and resistance to hydroplaning are also important. Plus we are driving on wet and dry roads with no ice or snow in between ski trips. And most years from late Spring to late Fall we can get away with little tread as it does not rain much and Spring trips usually do not have much snow on roads.
Tony - The Kumho Crugen HT51s worked out great for me. It ended up being the final weekend of skiing due to COVID. Tahoe got about 2-3 feet of snow that weekend. The roads were clear on my way up, heavy snow for the couple of days I was there. The tires did great around Tahoe that weekend. Coming back is was dumping hard on 80 Donner Pass, I took it slow but did fine.

The tires / wheels came off the vehicle a few days after I got back. I originally had them mounted on a spare set of stock steel wheels so they are back in storage now. So I only had them on the car for about 6 days. Will get more use out of them next season when I swap them out before the fist snow storm.

Don't know much about tires you got.

Looking forward to hearing how they do for you next season.

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Note to those looking for All Season 3PMSF tires. From what I have heard the Goodyear Assurance Weatherready is an excellent choice. It is priced on the higher side but here is a tip.

Last year around late September - October maybe November. Goodyear had a deep promotion. A set of 4 were discounted and then if you used the Goodyear credit card there was an additional discount.
I believe the total savings was around $150 or $200 for a set of 4.

They currently have as similar promotion that is $100 off, but if you can wait the promotion will most likely get better in the Fall.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Since I can't edit my post above, note that my SUV tires are 235/70-16, not -26. Note that the BFGs I ordered are rated 1 out of 32 in Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season Tires on tirerack although I take those rating with a shaker of salt.

@murphysf Good to hear you got your trip in that last weekend. I was trying to be a smarta** thinking you put your 3PMSF tires on and did not get to ski due to storm, then shutdown.

Also never before heard of Vredestein Quatrac Pro that @raytseng bought.

TS
raytseng

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Tony
I don't think you can go wrong either way you want to go.
If you're only keeping your vehicle for 2 more years, and you find your old tires are annoying, I'd say just get new rubber and get some enjoyment (and piece of mind) out of it. I ditched my Pirelli scorpions even though they had 6/32s left in summer because they started getting noisy and it was just getting too annoying. I don't regret throwing out the "still-good" tires at all. It sounds like you'll be ditching your vehicle in 2years before whatever new tires you decide to get will wear out anyway.

New tires need ~500 miles break-in/"wear-in" before they give their best performance anyway. That plus SIP this summer means you won't be wasting too much of the good "winter tread" by buying now versus a pandemic-free summer where there was 10k of summer roadtrips planned.

Vredestein is mainly a Euro brand with very limited US distribution (but does have big-dog tirerack as their big US distributor), so it is relatively unknown here.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Probably gonna put some Goodyear Vector 4 seasons or similar on my Eurowagon this fall for European road trips given drive to ski looking quite probable next winter. Living in Yookay AKA BoZo island wet handling is as important as snow handling most of the time.

Bridgestone Weathercontrols seem to come in a bit cheaper at the moment but the tests seem to suggest the wear rate is high on those.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Vredestein makes some really good tires.

Chickenmonkey

David T.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

They are working our great for the shelter-in-place we are under. They still stink! Unfortunately, I didn’t get them in the snow before the lockdown, but they have been nice driving around town and what little freeway driving I have done. That said, this is not the information you really want. I’ll report back as soon as I get some snow time, but it will probably be November at this point.

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Anyone have Atturo tires?

They make one called the Trail Blade A/T

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January