• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Parking Changes At Northstar For 2015-16

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just want to give a heads up to anyone skiing Northstar, that there are some parking changes for this season due to some construction at Welk Resorts.

The direct driveway to Parking Lot A & B, which is near the Highlands Gondola and Village View stairs will be closed. The construction will be taking over the entire road for most of this winter and will make it necessary to access all parking via the first turn at the 4 Way stop.
This will be only for this season and will not be a permanent parking plan.

This is for free parking and does not impact the paid parking area.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Here is a direct link to Northstar's Parking page

Susie

PSIA - Alpine II
Skier
The good news about the new parking situation is there is no longer value in getting to Northstar by 730am to avoid the walk to the upper deck. You're on the upper deck either way. The challenge with the new setup is Northstar parking shuttles don't start until 800am so for early arrivers, it's a haul with gear. Do yourself a favor and drop off gear and passengers at the roundabout or wait until shuttle service starts after 800am. I've also noticed slowdowns at the first stop sign (above the fire station) so give yourself some extra time. Personally, I think Castle Peak parking is likely the way to go this season, until the construction ends.

Jerry Graffam

Booting up
Skier
I plan to ski at Northstar for the first time next month. Because I will be driving up from SLT and thus parking, should I avoid if I don't want to pay to park?

Susie

PSIA - Alpine II
Skier
I plan to ski at Northstar for the first time next month. Because I will be driving up from SLT and thus parking, should I avoid if I don't want to pay to park?

Parking at Northstar isn't a problem, just not as easy as it was before. If you are coming during a busy period (weekends/holidays), I recommend arriving at Northstar at 800am. This will ensure plenty of parking and shuttle service available. I usually like to get to Northstar around 730am, but now the parking is a haul, if you have gear. Thus, it is best to wait until the shuttle starts at 800am or drop off gear at the roundabout before you park. The gondola starts at 800am and other lifts start at 830am. Enjoy your visit!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Park at Chez Ziggy and take the Pugski shuttle.

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Just want to give a heads up to anyone skiing Northstar, that there are some parking changes for this season due to some construction at Welk Resorts.

The direct driveway to Parking Lot A & B, which is near the Highlands Gondola and Village View stairs will be closed. The construction will be taking over the entire road for most of this winter and will make it necessary to access all parking via the first turn at the 4 Way stop.
This will be only for this season and will not be a permanent parking plan.

This is for free parking and does not impact the paid parking area.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Here is a direct link to Northstar's Parking page

Sonsabeyatches closing off parking. Topic of conversation was that it doesn't even seem that northstar wants the day skier really? Much happier if they had the vacationer/condo goer that is the captive audience.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Susie's post is pretty accurate.
Parking at Northstar isn't a problem, just not as easy as it was before. If you are coming during a busy period (weekends/holidays), I recommend arriving at Northstar at 800am. This will ensure plenty of parking and shuttle service available. I usually like to get to Northstar around 730am, but now the parking is a haul, if you have gear. Thus, it is best to wait until the shuttle starts at 800am or drop off gear at the roundabout before you park. The gondola starts at 800am and other lifts start at 830am. Enjoy your visit!

Susie

PSIA - Alpine II
Skier
It appears that Northstar is keeping B-lot open... filling A, then C, and then B. The goal is a good one, let the "early" guests get to the Highlands Gondola. The problem is that the parking crew does not have good communication when B fills, not to mention, you have to drive through all the people dressing, walking without looking for cars, etc. My recommendation... if you are early, park at C and walk. If you arrive at 800am, park at K and take the shuttle. With only one-way traffic through A-K, it's a cluster.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It appears that Northstar is keeping B-lot open... filling A, then C, and then B. The goal is a good one, let the "early" guests get to the Highlands Gondola. The problem is that the parking crew does not have good communication when B fills, not to mention, you have to drive through all the people dressing, walking without looking for cars, etc. My recommendation... if you are early, park at C and walk. If you arrive at 800am, park at K and take the shuttle. With only one-way traffic through A-K, it's a cluster.
Clear as mud. It is a mess there, I cannot imagine how this is for someone who does not know their way around.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hello,
Looking for some up to date guidance -
I am arriving this coming Friday afternoon (2/19) and staying in Incline Village - I know there is a shuttle from the Hyatt in the morning, but if I decide to drive to NorthStar - how long should I plan on the drive to take and where should I park so as to minimize the time it takes me to get onto the lift to head to the backside of the mountain.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
30-45 minutes. Park in lot B, pre-buy your tickets, hop on the ritz Carlton (highlands) gondola.

Get there early to get decent parking. (By 8am on a weekday, 7:30 on weekend)

Susie

PSIA - Alpine II
Skier
Hello,
how long should I plan on the drive to take and where should I park so as to minimize the time it takes me to get onto the lift to head to the backside of the mountain.

For the least hassle, I recommend having your car in a parking spot by 730am. This will ensure a walkable distance with gear to the village and plenty of time to be on the gondola at 800am and first chair mid-mountain, when they open about 825am. If you arrive at the entrance of Northstar by 720am, you will not have any problems. If you prefer, you can park closest to the Highlands Gondola and take the gondola straight from the parking lot. In this case, be in your spot by 720am and take something to do in your car until the Gondola opens at 800am.

The next option doesn't require departing so early. Plan to arrive at the entrance of Northstar by 745am. This will then put you near the K Lot by 800am (assuming traffic isn't too heavy... this is where this plan can go awry). You can then catch the first bus, which starts around 800am (sometimes a bit later). Even if you catch the first bus and rush to the gondola, it is tough to get to mid-mountain before 845am.

I ski Northstar every weekend, and I choose the arrive early, before 730am, and chill method.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For the least hassle, I recommend having your car in a parking spot by 730am. This will ensure a walkable distance with gear to the village and plenty of time to be on the gondola at 800am and first chair mid-mountain, when they open about 825am. If you arrive at the entrance of Northstar by 720am, you will not have any problems. If you prefer, you can park closest to the Highlands Gondola and take the gondola straight from the parking lot. In this case, be in your spot by 720am and take something to do in your car until the Gondola opens at 800am.

The next option doesn't require departing so early. Plan to arrive at the entrance of Northstar by 745am. This will then put you near the K Lot by 800am (assuming traffic isn't too heavy... this is where this plan can go awry). You can then catch the first bus, which starts around 800am (sometimes a bit later). Even if you catch the first bus and rush to the gondola, it is tough to get to mid-mountain before 845am.

I ski Northstar every weekend, and I choose the arrive early, before 730am, and chill method.

Thanks for the tips - which prompts another question - having never been to NorthStar, which is the best direction to ski the black diamonds off of Rendevous Triple, Backside express, and Martis Express, i.e. Start with Rendevous and go clockwise, or start with Martis and go CounterClockwise. Also, is there a downloadable trail map other than the awful interactive one?

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
30-45 minutes. Park in lot B, pre-buy your tickets, hop on the ritz Carlton (highlands) gondola.

Get there early to get decent parking. (By 8am on a weekday, 7:30 on weekend)

No pre-buying necessary - have epic pass will travel (including to Heavenly on this trip)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for the tips - which prompts another question - having never been to NorthStar, which is the best direction to ski the black diamonds off of Rendevous Triple, Backside express, and Martis Express, i.e. Start with Rendevous and go clockwise, or start with Martis and go CounterClockwise. Also, is there a downloadable trail map other than the awful interactive one?
We would rather show you the best, than to post it. Actually, some of the best terrian is off of Martis Express but the Backside lift has some fun lower angle trees too. When will you be in town?

Susie

PSIA - Alpine II
Skier
which is the best direction to ski the black diamonds off of Rendevous Triple, Backside express, and Martis Express
The good news is there are trail maps on the chairs so no need to pick up a paper or download an electronic one. Since we'll get new snow Thursday/Friday, there is no need to ski the "sun". Rather, I'd focus on skiing the crowds. I would recommend starting on the "Comstock" lift... this will give you access to the terrain like Grouse, Plunge, Springboard, and others on the West Ridge. Once Comstock gets too busy (about 1000am, move to the "Backside" lift to access Challenger, Sierra Grande, Burnout, Iron Horse, etc. When that gets to busy, take a run on "Promise Land" to access Promise Land, Cascade, Lower Iron Horse and then move to "Martis", where you can access Martis, Prosser, Boca, and Stampede. I would recommend then coming back to the "Rendezvous"/"Comstock" area to catch Tost and finishing up there:)

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We would rather show you the best, than to post it. Actually, some of the best terrian is off of Martis Express but the Backside lift has some fun lower angle trees too. When will you be in town?

Hey Phil -
Arriving Friday 2/19, will be skiing 2/20 - 2/26 - would love to have the benefit of a "local" guide - if you ever come East - i will return the favor at Killington or at least buy you and Tricia a drink or two and dinner with my lovely non-skiing wife. I plan also to get down to Heavenly as well during the week. I can send you my cell phone# via PM if you want
Mark

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow! Thanks Susie for the great tips - yes, l am looking forward to the fresh snow - it's been a miserable winter back in the East - something that you are unfortunately too familar with the past few winters.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am in the shop (True North in the Villave) Sat/Sun but can get out with you on Monday. maybe you can talk @Tricia to come out for a couple of hours Sunday AM. @Susie might be available too.

Sponsor

Staff online