• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mcpowell

I want to be good
Skier
i have a conundrum...

A buddy of mine is likely going to Park City, for a week, on business at the end of February. He has graciously offered for me to tag along if I like. My expenses would only be my airfare and some food. His business would pick up the car rental, hotel, etc. so obviously this is a good deal $ wise. He would ski some, and is a beginner. However, I’ve never skied Park City before, so I don’t know how it fares in low tide years like we are having so far. And, the weather forecast isn’t predicting much snow over the next few weeks. I’ll ski anything on the mountain that has been groomed in the last few days, I try to avoid the moguls and if I’m on a double black it means I’m lost.

My other option is to either extend my trip to Whistler (that’s already booked), schedule another trip to A resort that is getting good snow on a different week (and pay the regular tourist rate) or stay home and have a 7 day season this year :(

It would be a no-brainer if PC was having an average snow year, but I’m just a bit hesitant as it is.

Thoughts?

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I looked at the grooming and status map and it looks like you could have a good time. probably better in a month. No first hand knowledge.

Your other big expense, of course, would be lift tickets. Looks like about $124 a day for a four day ticket bought in advance.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
From the description, you sound like someone who will be happy at Park City. You should try Deer Valley also while in town.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Stay Park City; ski Deer Valley?

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I am going to PC in a week, and I don’t think I’ll bother to bring skis.
From reports I get, we are much better off here in Colorado.

Locals please disabuse me of such thoughts.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
this week Whistler got over 2 meters, a lot of snow even for here.
so the visibility wasn't as good as Park City

Just don't go for the next 3 days. It's gonna be ugly for a bit.

TS
mcpowell

mcpowell

I want to be good
Skier
So...I've just got to put it out there....Whistler is getting the the goods....

No kidding! I watch the weather daily and I’ve seriously considered going for a week by myself just to enjoy all that snow, before my daughter and I go in March.

TS
mcpowell

mcpowell

I want to be good
Skier
I am going to PC in a week, and I don’t think I’ll bother to bring skis.
From reports I get, we are much better off here in Colorado.

Locals please disabuse me of such thoughts.

I think they have 4000+ acres open now.. I would just like to see some steady storms headed that way, and that hasn’t been the pattern this year.

TS
mcpowell

mcpowell

I want to be good
Skier
I looked at the grooming and status map and it looks like you could have a good time. probably better in a month. No first hand knowledge.

Your other big expense, of course, would be lift tickets. Looks like about $124 a day for a four day ticket bought in advance.

Lift tickets are covered in my Epic Pass. The more I ski, the better my decision feels to know I bought the Epic Pass early.

tachedub

Booting up
Skier
Both Park City and Deer Valley are reporting a 4 ft base which from personal experience is all they need for a great trip. You can also expect a lot more sunshine than Whistler in Feb

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
One of my coworkers skied there last weekend and said, unless they get a big storm, don’t bother.
I saw that 48” base number too, but one should not confuse big piles of man made snow on high traffic groomers with natural cover,
As long as one expects to stay en piste, it will be fine.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Do PC. If you haven't been, you should. If it were anywhere else it would be a very highly ranked ski resort. That is enough snow to be very decent.

TS
mcpowell

mcpowell

I want to be good
Skier
Update...I've added a few days to my Whistler trip in March. So now I can sit back and hope for snow in PC (which looks a bit doubtful). If PC gets some snow and the "free" trip works out, I'll see if I can do that too.

PS. I'm looking forward to 4 days of solo skiing. I've always skied with family or a buddy, so this should be interesting.

Sponsor

Staff online