• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Park City Mountain Resort & Deer Valley

Long Hair Hippy

Getting on the lift
Skier
Trip report- 2-25-18 thru 3-3-18

Day 1- Arrival Day
Early morning flight from DTW. Rental car and check in at the Best Western in Coalville UT. I totally recommend this place for anyone who is on a budget conscious ski trip. This place was first class. Staff was friendly, place was clean, quiet, had a great free breakfast and a nice pool hot tub area. It’s only about a 15 minute drive to Park City.

Got to the Canyons side of the resort around 2:30pm and put in a solid 1.5 hours of turns by doing laps on the Saddleback lift.

Snow was nice and fresh due to the 5” that dumped in the morning.
20180225_145102.jpg

Day #2:

Parked in the free Empire Ave. lot at Park City around 8:45am. Scored a great parking space!
20180226_085419.jpg
It was a pretty windy and overcast day. Spent most of the day investigating the terrain in the King Con, Silverlode, Motherlode and Thaynes lift areas. Also took a quick excursion on the Quicksilver gondola over to the Canyons side.

Photo taken from one of the King Con runs looking across to the Canyons.
20180226_095037.jpg

Day #3:
Once again scored a great parking spot in the Cabriolet lot at the Canyons. Started the day with a ride on the Orange Bubble Express chair and headed over to the Sun Peak Express and Super Condor Express area. I found some nice blue cruisers mixed with a few bumps.

This is the Eclipse run. I did a few warm up laps here in the mellow bumps before hitting a few of the black runs off the Super Condor.
20180227_093715.jpg

C:\Users\TMITCH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.jpg

Photo taken from the Upper Apex Ridge run off Condor Express. One of the best views in the entire resort!
20180227_102229.jpg
C:\Users\TMITCH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image004.jpg

After lunch at the Red Pine Lodge we headed over to the Tombstone, Iron mountain and Dreamcatcher lifts. We sampled and re-sampled all the runs off of the Iron Mountain Express. Felt like we had the whole place to ourselves!

A few of the slope side homes which are intertwined in the maze of blue groomers at the Canyons. If anyone wants to shell out some pocket change of between 8-12 million, I’ll be happy to stay and help maintain the property.

C:\Users\TMITCH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image006.jpg

20180227_124812.jpg

Day #4:
Spent a day at Deer Valley. Price tag was $139.00 for the lift ticket. Honestly for all the hype, I was not blown away. Even with a couple of fresh inches throughout the day , I found the conditions to be icy and the grooming to be mediocre at best.
Parking wasn’t as convenient either. The terrain was decent and there was a wide variety for all types. Overall this place was pretty stuffy. I also thought the staff to be kind of uninterested and not very friendly. I must not have enough dollar bills falling out of my ass!

I had a sudden urge to relieve myself on this trail @ DV. Hmmm not sure why!?
20180228_104140-crop.jpg
C:\Users\TMITCH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image008.jpg

One of the more respectable black runs at DV. Off of the Lady Morgan express I think.

C:\Users\TMITCH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image010.jpg

20180228_141251.jpg

Day #5
Started at the Red Pine Gondola@ Canyons and the goal was to ski all the way over to McConkey’s express lift at Park City. We did a few laps in the McConkey’s Bowl and then proceeded over to the Thaynes chair and skied all of the runs in that area. The Hoist was skiing exceptionally well on this day. Nice big soft bumps! I got my ass handed to me a couple of times on this run!

Looking down into McConkey’s Bowl just before dropping in

20180301_114823.jpg

C:\Users\TMITCH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image012.jpg

Day #6
Woke up to a super windy day. All of the lifts on the Canyons side were on hold. The parking lot attendant suggested we stay parked in the Cabriolet lot, boot up and catch a bus over to the Park City side.

By about 11a.m. the crowds at PC were almost unbearable. Lift lines were 10 minutes plus. Too many out of control folks on the hill too. I kept an eye on the lift status via my Epic mix app and as soon as lifts started spinning on the Canyons side we made a break for the bus stop and headed back to Canyons. This proved to be a wise choice. The place was empty! Lapped the Dreamcatcher lift until my legs were toast! The bumps were spectacular! We spent the last couple of hours on long blue cruisers. It sure was fun laying em over and riding the edges for the rest of the day!

The Chimera and Specter bowls at Canyons. Look….no people!

20180301_130943.jpg

C:\Users\TMITCH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image014.jpg

Day #7-

Early morning flight back to DTW. Had to work the next day at the local hill. Not a bad life I guess, ski all week then hurry back to ski again!

Overall,
I enjoyed the trip and by no means did any of it suck! I thought the Canyons side of the resort was was better. Seemed to be less people and I thought the terrain choices were better. I do not think PCMR quite has the vibe of a few of the Colorado resorts I've visited. The snow was decent but not immaculate by any means. Everyone I encountered at PCMR was extremely friendly. Employees were more than happy to answer questions or just chat for the sake of conversation. I'd definitely return.

Sponsor

Staff online