• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Park City for Thanksgiving ??

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you're going to be in Utah anyway, book an extra day or two and either ski or do something else depending on conditions. Otherwise, if money's a consideration at all, do something closer to home and then travel to ski later in the season. If money's no concern, wait 'til the last minute and see where gets a lot of early snow and go there ogsmile
Snowbasin puts a lot of resources into getting their 2,000-vertical-foot WROD open for Thanksgiving. Yes, the bottom 150' of that can be lapped by beginners. But no, it's not worth driving much extra for (much less flying across the country).

Deer Valley lists their opening this fall as December 7, 2019 (https://www.deervalley.com/about-us/faqs). I don't think they've opened early in any recent years, so I wouldn't anticipate they'll open early this year.

I have some negative feelings about Snowbasin and their use of gates at choke points while lacking resort personnel.
With a question of snowmaking and open terrain for a beginner, them having snow guns every 40 feet would be an option.
Having taught mrsjmills and my 2 step kids to ski in the past 3 seasons, Alta is an easy choice for us. Being skiers only matters to me and Crooked Mile is such a good run for those learning.
Alta has some free options with one being a tow rope on the backside of the Alta Lodge. The other is a free lift that was added when the Snow Pine was rebuilt.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for all the info. This place is great for that :)

Looks like we will just watch it and make a last minute decision. I didn’t think about how crowded it could be with limited runs open. I wouldn’t want her having to deal with too many people.

We have a place to stay in PC so that’s I’m looking at that first.

If you could go anywhere in the country, what tends to have the best options for Thanksgiving week?

Thanksgiving is always a hit or miss proposition. That said, I have skied every Thanksgiving except one since 2009 and I live in Southern California. Mammoth always has something open and, often, it has quite a bit. However, it will also be a cluster because it's the best bet out there and everyone in LA heads there for their first ski weekend. On the bright side, there are some decent deals on housing that early in the season. A lot of the Tahoe resorts also get open early and generally get more early snow than the Utah resorts. Reno would be your best choice of airport for either Tahoe or Mammoth. I would ask the question someone else referenced above -do you have a season pass of any sort? If so, which one?

I am linking to another site which I hope is ok. If not, mods just go ahead and remove it. The site has some great historical snow fall data on resorts around the country. There is no such thing as a sure bet when it comes to climate, but patterns help in planning.
http://bestsnow.net

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m pretty sure that is my son walking in the green jacket there.

OK, that explains a lot. You aren't going skiing because you want to. It's a wholesome family activity. :roflmao:ogwink

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, that explains a lot. You aren't going skiing because you want to. It's a wholesome family activity. :roflmao:ogwink
He made me do it!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Thanks for all the info. This place is great for that :)

If you could go anywhere in the country, what tends to have the best options for Thanksgiving week?
Targhee
Bachelor
Wolf Creek (never been but they always seem to have early snow)

But really the suggestion of waiting to see who has good conditions & the terrain you seek at the last minute is best.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Given that the OP asked specifically about PC he should anticipate the following being open, assuming average snow making conditions leading up to Thanksgiving. Top of Payday down Home Run, Lower Silver Skis, Treasure Hollow (usually) and Lower Home Run to the base. Top of First Time to Turtle Trail to lower part of Home Run and down to bottom of First Time lift. First Time Run itself won’t be open.

Deer Valley doesn’t open until beginning of 2nd week in December.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor

Since they usually start skiing in October, allowing them time to get their snow into pretty good shape by Thanksgiving, both Loveland and Arapahoe Basin would be my guess as having the most reliable terrain. Breck normally would have good coverage on its beginner terrain on Peak Nine by then too.

Another thought for a beginner at Thanksgiving: Boyne Mtn. at Boyne Falls, MI. Boyne pioneered grooming and snowmaking and the Mountain has a nice, long lift-served beginner area. At 700 feet above sea level, there's no altitude acclimatizing required and the resort has a great waterpark.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online