• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ironically, @Philpug posted this picture of us on the Palli lift from several seasons ago.
86261340_10157783958186138_2464691902209851392_o.jpg

According to Al's blog, this is the last season for this lift.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Sounds like A-Basin is taking a similar approach to Mad River Glen with the single chair. Keep the same capacity and iconic feel, but upgrade to better and more reliable mechanics

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
I like the vibe and I'm fine with a slow lift but not upgrading when this lift accesses two areas that did not exist (beavers, steep gullies) in the 70's seems regressive. A triple would have been my pick.

James

Out There
Instructor
Ironically, @Philpug posted this picture of us on the Palli lift from several seasons ago.
86261340_10157783958186138_2464691902209851392_o.jpg

According to Al's blog, this is the last season for this lift.
Nice sweaters!
You’ve got Bob Barnes behind you and Ric ? behind Phil.

I’m thinking the new Palli should be longer?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Nice sweaters!
You’ve got Bob Barnes behind you and Ric ? behind Phil.

I’m thinking the new Palli should be longer?
Gabby and Bob

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I know the purists are loving keeping it a double with the exact same uphill capacity, but I think it's entirely shortsighted. There's more terrain it now serves and it becomes a bottleneck for lapping that area. They've really cut down on the number of skiers/terrain ratio with the new terrain additions. It would make more sense for them to put in a triple and bring back the same ratio that was present in 1978. They're making the classic mistake of looking at the raw total volume rather then normalizing the data by looking at the skier/acreage served ratio.

James

Out There
Instructor
I know the purists are loving keeping it a double with the exact same uphill capacity, but I think it's entirely shortsighted. There's more terrain it now serves and it becomes a bottleneck for lapping that area. They've really cut down on the number of skiers/terrain ratio with the new terrain additions. It would make more sense for them to put in a triple and bring back the same ratio that was present in 1978. They're making the classic mistake of looking at the raw total volume rather then normalizing the data by looking at the skier/acreage served ratio.
I think I agree. Doesnt make much sense that the Beavers is a quad, and Palli will stay a double.
Can you ski down to Beavers from the top of Palli?

Xinga

Booting up
Skier
I'll bet that if they upgrade to a quad (or triple), they'd have to change the tower positioning, and that would ruin some favorite lines.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I'll bet that if they upgrade to a quad (or triple), they'd have to change the tower positioning, and that would ruin some favorite lines.

Good point. There's definitely additional considerations that went into this decision that Al has not mentioned. Clearly cost would be one of them.

James

Out There
Instructor
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is kind of a cool way to repurpose a bullwheel from the Pali lift

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is kind of a cool way to repurpose a bullwheel from the Pali lift

Is it now just a monument or something up there? Looks cool but I’m confused.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is it now just a monument or something up there? Looks cool but I’m confused.
I'm confused too, but trying to imagine how this can be a special place to give homage to a special lift. :huh:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm confused too, but trying to imagine how this can be a special place to give homage to a special lift. :huh:
Where is it placed, exactly? Is it at the summit of one of the popular hiking/climbing spots? Clearly only would be seen in summer months.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Where is it placed, exactly? Is it at the summit of one of the popular hiking/climbing spots? Clearly only would be seen in summer months.
I've looked at the picture closely and I'm not quite sure where it is, but things look so different without snow.
Maybe someone from the Colorado Crew can give perspective.
@SBrown @SkiNurse @Doug Briggs @Drahtguy Kevin

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've looked at the picture closely and I'm not quite sure where it is, but things look so different without snow.
Maybe someone from the Colorado Crew can give perspective.
@SBrown @SkiNurse @Doug Briggs @Drahtguy Kevin

I don't quite understand the question ... it's at the tippy top of Pali. Do you mean where at the tippy top?

Sponsor

Staff online