• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
Glad to see a Ski Santa Fe thread!

When thinking about skiing in NM most people think of Taos, just to Santa Fe's north as the crow flys but 90 minutes-2 hours or so by car.

If you are on a road trip, on your way to Taos or traveling through Albuquerque but want to check out Santa Fe you should check out the ski area, 15 miles up a mountain road from town. Ski Santa Fe is one of the highest areas in North America, in the parking lot you are at 10,350 feet and the peak is over 12K. The weather, snow conditions are similar to Taos as is much of the terrain, plenty of groomed but lots of trees, steeps, and glades as well.

We get a lot of visitors from OK/Texas as well as from Az and Ca. It's particularly popular with families and groups with members who don't ski or don't want to ski every day as Santa Fe and the surrounding area (including the town of Taos) offers so much in culture, history, and art, making it a top tourist destination in its own right. Ski Santa Fe also is considerably less expensive than many of the resorts to our north in Colorado. Especially good with groups who have beginner/novice skiers as the rental/lift/lesson packages are reasonable but there is plenty of terrain for intermediates/advanced and expert skiers and if you visit on a powder day you will be in heaven!

The base has a large lodge housing a spacious rental and ski shop area with modern equipment as well as high-performance equipment available. There is a ski clothing store with anything that you might have forgotten and plenty of logo wear/stickers etc. The cafeteria upstairs has a large seating area and serves among the best food you will find in a similar setting. The soups and other items are prepared fresh daily, don't forget to try the Green Chile stew.

There is not a bar at the base but there is one up the mountain. You have to be able to ride the easy street chair where it is a short hike up or take chair 2 and exit at the midway station, but the steep off-ramp can be intimidating for some beginners/novices. Or you could hike, but remember you are somewhere between 10K and 11K feet in elevation. Totemoff's is the name of the bar, named after Pete Totemoff who helped Ernie Blake found Taos. Pete was a ranger in the mountains where the area is located who trekked up the ridges with Ernie above an abandoned mining area that would later become Taos Ski Valley. After skiing down it he famoulsy told Ernie Blake that it was too steep, people would not want to ski it. Ernie thought otherwise and the rest is history. Later Pete retired and ran the bar and midway station here.

Totemoff's is a rustic place with a large fire roaring most days. In addition to a full bar, you can get soup, green chile stew, and other snacks. Outside on the spacious deck, there is often a grill going serving burgers and often there will be live music. It's a great place to watch skiers descending down into Grand Central from the upper mountain or watching skiers coming down some nearby black diamond mogul runs.

The weather is similar to whatever is going on at Taos and like the rest of the Rockies the heaviest snow months are Feb/March/April but that's not to say there is not a lot of snow earlier, its just those are the most active snowstorm months. The terrain, although smaller is much like Taos as well. Lots of groomed but plenty of steeps, glades, trees and mogul runs to explore. If you are lucky enough to arrive on a powder day you will enjoy the light fluffy stuff that falls at higher elevations in a somewhat arid climate. As in Taos, even days after a storm you will find fresh tracks to cut if you know where to look, say Tequila Trees, Big Rocks Glade, Cornice, as well as the north and south burns and a few other places like in the trees off Columbine.

While I love Taos (I had a season pass there for many years, but the commute is a little far to want to make it 5 plus days a week) Ski Santa Fe is my home area where I spend the bulk of my 80-100 day ski season (teaching). The area can get quite busy on weekends and particularly holidays. If you arrive then plan on coming up by 8 am, have breakfast or a cup of coffee as you relax and wait for the lifts to open at 9 AM (often earlier) and be glad that you both got a good parking space and are not stuck in the long winding trails of cars still on their way up sometimes complicated by a snowy/icy steep mountain road with lots of switchbacks and hairpin turns.

I'll try and keep it updated as the season progresses. If you are in the area stop in and say hello, you won't be disappointed!

Here is some more information about the area from the Dallas Morning News as well as quick video that shows the area:

Last edited:

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Great video -- I want to go!

TS
Jeff N

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
We did another pass through NM last year, Sipapu and Pajarito. Frankly, NM skiing rocks. Good terrain, absolutely deserted at Sipapu Pajarito and much less than Colorado crowds at Taos (I wait at more lines at Purgatory than Taos and Purg has high speed lifts, though Wolf Creek has less than either).

Honestly, NM skiing reminds me of Colorado skiing in the 1980's before the high speed lifts went in and places shifted to being real estate companies instead of skiing companies. I love that, and definitely love camping in my motorhome in the parking lots. :)

As an aside, when we went to Pajarito, we had no idea we'd be driving through a security checkpoint on the road there. It was about 10:00 at night and we are rolling up to this checkpoint for the nuclear labs in an old motorhome. Security guard asked me where I was headed, and I stammered "uhhh, is this the way to the ski area?" Seems like a good way to get held up and searched....

HDSkiing

Skier
We did another pass through NM last year, Sipapu and Pajarito. Frankly, NM skiing rocks. Good terrain, absolutely deserted at Sipapu Pajarito and much less than Colorado crowds at Taos (I wait at more lines at Purgatory than Taos and Purg has high speed lifts, though Wolf Creek has less than either).

Honestly, NM skiing reminds me of Colorado skiing in the 1980's before the high speed lifts went in and places shifted to being real estate companies instead of skiing companies. I love that, and definitely love camping in my motorhome in the parking lots. :)

As an aside, when we went to Pajarito, we had no idea we'd be driving through a security checkpoint on the road there. It was about 10:00 at night and we are rolling up to this checkpoint for the nuclear labs in an old motorhome. Security guard asked me where I was headed, and I stammered "uhhh, is this the way to the ski area?" Seems like a good way to get held up and searched....

Pajarito started off as a ski club for the people working out at Las Alamos, then it opened to the public but in the not too distant past you couldn’t even get directions to the ski area let alone find any signage. They wanted to keep it, and the fairly significant amount of powder they got a secret, the security check point (on a public road) adds to the mysterious nature of the place, but now the more the merrier as far as the ski area is concerned:).

Burton

Getting on the lift
Skier
Pajarito ... got my first and only win in a USSA race there. Came back the next year and had the worst crash of my life during warm-up. I vividly remember, some 30 years later, being almost level with the chairlift after the first bounce. Lost a ski pole, crushed a vertebrae and pretty much knocked every piece of me out of whack. Made for a long ride home from the ER lying down in the back of the station wagon. All on my birthday. Somehow, this all adds up to a fond memory of the place.

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier

LOL.

There is a way around the security checkpoint for Pajarito if you cross the bridge toward town and then take the first left down into the canyon. You'll switchback up the other side of the canyon and pop out at the base of Camp May Road, bypassing the national lab. You kind of have to know it's there, though... Doubt GPS would ever direct you that way. As a public service announcement, I will state for the record that if you have any contraband, you'd be advised to take the bypass going through the canyon. That includes unopened alcohol, knives or weapons (legal or not), all of which is strictly forbidden on lab property.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As to the snake of cars up to Ski Santa Fe, they finally have a bus that goes to the ski area from several base stops in town, including Ft. Marcy at the bottom of the hill and a 10,000 waves stop. $5 but you get a voucher for $5 good at any cafeteria or retail at the mountain. I wish more people, especially tourists who have trouble driving in snow, would take advantage of it.
Ride the Blue Bus!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I have only been to Ski Santa Fe once, last year, the final day of their season! but LOVED it. Wow, awesome place.

Here is a short video of my trip.

HDSkiing

Skier
I have only been to Ski Santa Fe once, last year, the final day of their season! but LOVED it. Wow, awesome place.

Great video! We had a bunch of snow that last week. I need to ski with my go-pro, not sure if a helmet mount is the way to go or chest strap which I've heard can be more stable.

HDSkiing

Skier
"As to the snake of cars up to Ski Santa Fe, they finally have a bus that goes to the ski area from several base stops in town, including Ft. Marcy at the bottom of the hill and a 10,000 waves stop. $5 but you get a voucher for $5 good at any cafeteria or retail at the mountain. I wish more people, especially tourists who have trouble driving in snow, would take advantage of it.
Ride the Blue Bus!"

And I think if you are a certain age, you can ride it for free. If you're coming from Albuquerque/Rio Rancho etc. you can take the train then get on the Blue Bus, plus there is bar right near the train station if your early for the train back...

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier
Great video! We had a bunch of snow that last week. I need to ski with my go-pro, not sure if a helmet mount is the way to go or chest strap which I've heard can be more stable.
My wife got me one a couple of years ago. I've never been into the whole go-pro thing, but I've taken it out a few times on powder days. Mostly, I've used it to film my daughter out on the slopes. I have a helmet mount and a chest strap.

The helmet mount snapped off when I ducked under a tree branch. I didn't even realize it until the bottom of the run when I went to turn it off and it wasn't there. It was 2-3 feet of powder, and I went up and did the run again. Luckily I found it. Watching the film when I got home, it was just a little twig that hit the camera in the right spot and snapped it off without me even noticing. I then got about 30 minutes of awesome footage of the camera pointed right at the sun.

Not sure if it was a fluke or what, but the chest strap seems a lot more reliable in that sense. I think the perspective is a bit better too. Just FYI.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
You should try heading there in an actual decent snow year!

That wasnt last season but 2 seasons ago. Coverage was really nice.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier

Let's hope they get some snow this year. Looks great!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Let's hope they get some snow this year. Looks great!

Yeah!, Superb tree skiing. Nicely spaced trees. No need to get into really tight trees since Ski SF just doesnt get the skier traffic in those areas that even a place like Monarch would get.