• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pair of Skis/Bindings in attic for 13 years: Tune up?

BLspruce2

Getting on the lift
Skier
I think most skiers get to this point with their favorite skis and its hard but safer to retire them. I think once the bindings will no longer be tested by shops these should not be used. And the skis will dry up and loose their elasticity and pop over time. The skis may look brand new but they are not. Its not the performance as much as safety. What is a ACL injury worth ? and how would it affect your life ? Would you let a loved one ski on that gear ? That is the potential risk. The same happens in every sport that relies of gear and its hard to discard virtually new gear. Its just prudent to retire rather than risk a catastrophic failure. Just my opinion.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I would also point out that, while the P60 was a decent ski inits day....that day was in 2004-5 - :eek:..... you would be surprised how much slalom skis have improved since then..:rolleyes:....still, OK for an early season/rock ski.

I would expect it currently has a Comp 16 binding on it.....should still work but the 16s have a history of losing spring tension and also somehow loosening off the heel when being skied, leading to them being scrapped (and also being a prime culprit for the Marker pre-release reputation!). Always check the forward pressure at the start of the day and set it one click past flush

TS
R

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
I would also point out that, while the P60 was a decent ski inits day....that day was in 2004-5 - :eek:..... you would be surprised how much slalom skis have improved since then..:rolleyes:....still, OK for an early season/rock ski.

I would expect it currently has a Comp 16 binding on it.....should still work but the 16s have a history of losing spring tension and also somehow loosening off the heel when being skied, leading to them being scrapped (and also being a prime culprit for the Marker pre-release reputation!). Always check the forward pressure at the start of the day and set it one click past flush

Will be primarily using it as an early/late season rock ski here on the east coast. Still looking in to a newer SL ski for primary duty

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
20180224_100126.jpg

I put the Comp 16 on my P50 F1s. I've had no problem with that binding; Set to a release setting of 8 it releases when it should and stays on when I want it to. 8 puts me between 3 and 3+ for a <50 year old skier. I'm 18 with 40 years experience at it.

I set my forward pressure according to the manual, but since it's ScotSkier with his background and experience, saying it, I should have the screw 1 click past, I'm really considering doing just that. Maybe I could crank the release seting down by 1/4 and increase the forward pressure on click and achieve the same results.
Maybe those springs slack off because they spend so much time just slightly over stressed :duck:.

Monster

Monstrous for some time now. . .
Skier
Back in those days, being in the middle of Marker/Volkl country, we free skied and raced on a number of sets of Comps and the piston plates that went with - they were just sort of the norm around here. I can't remember how many times a ski walked walked off the boot for no reason, but it was way too many. From the lowest to the highest DIN range models, they all did it. That was with the forward pressures correct, and we played with that to see if we could resolve the issue; nope. I know there were plenty of folks at the time who didn't have trouble with them, but also a lot who did. For us, it was just plain dangerous. Went to Tyrolias and will never go back.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January