• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pair of Skis/Bindings in attic for 13 years: Tune up?

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
Pulled a pair of P60 skis out of the attic...I think that makes them 13 years old...and probably only used the season they were released.

Anyways they're a bit gunked up, particularly the bindings. Apart from have them tuned/waxed, should I be concerned about them at all? Safety? How should I clean up the bindings and make sure they're good to go?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
They should be good for this: :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

AnneRast_AdirondackChair_02.jpg

Ok, in all seriousness, you gotta check if the bindings are in the indemnified list or not. (or the shop will)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Pulled a pair of P60 skis out of the attic...I think that makes them 13 years old...and probably only used the season they were released.

Anyways they're a bit gunked up, particularly the bindings. Apart from have them tuned/waxed, should I be concerned about them at all? Safety? How should I clean up the bindings and make sure they're good to go?
Paging @Andy Mink and his P50s

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I knocked the dust and rust off the edges of my P50s after many years. Put a little wax on them. Then (and this is what I did; not recommending it or not recommending it) did a visual inspection of the bindings, set the new release numbers since I'm older and heavier, set the forward pressure for the new boots, and took them skiing. I had planned on using them for one or two runs but skied them for a few days throughout the season.

I'm guessing your bindings will not be indemnified so no shop will touch them. It's up to you but I've seen people skiing gear that is way older than yours or mine.
:philgoat:

TS
R

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
They are WC Markers if it makes a difference. What would actually go "bad" in them?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I'm still skiing my P50s from 2002. Bindings though are Comp 16s from 2008 ish. I would do what Andy did, but I can't give that advice legally (and I like to live dangerously). I would also check the release action at lower settings before setting the release number and checking the forward pressure (likely requires the screw to be flush being a marker).

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
They are WC Markers if it makes a difference. What would actually go "bad" in them?
It's usually not what goes bad in them but what goes bad on the housing. Plastics degrade over time, especially if exposed to heat or sunlight. If they're all metal you're better off.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
This guy was on old 200cm K2’s with rear entry’s and long poles on Friday.
391319C7-7340-415C-A49E-B466BB3A51F7.jpeg

Makes me want to break out the old P9’s.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I ski some 2003/04 Dynastar Speed Course 64 GS skis that were in storage for over a decade. They have Pivot bindings and have always worked fine.

Surprising how good they still ski. P60 was a good ski.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had a plastic part on the heel piece on some Salomon bindings come apart catastrophically with a year or two left on indemnification. Of course it was a powder day and I was in a pillowy glade up to my waist in snow. The sled ride was memorable, the patroller a good guy, but I would rather change swap bindings too early than too late.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
That's why I brought em down but now folks here have me worried they'll explode or I'll double eject going through some crud haha

Find a shop that will fail them visually but then test them anyway. As for the other - bah. Sure, if you're going to go all stiff-legged crossing ruts, ditches or troughs then you shouldn't be on 'em. And now that that's out of the way...

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
We've got three pair of P60's downstairs. 193, 175, 155. Two red pair and a yellow. My daughter wanted to sell them, but none of the bindings are on the indemnified list. The long pair she used for speed races. They were used by one of the US ski team girls before she had them, I forget who.

Monster

Monstrous for some time now. . .
Skier
Personally, I wouldn't trust the bindings if they've been stored in a place with big seasonal temperature and humidity swings for that long.

The skis, on the other hand, are probably fine. Throw some new bindings on them, give them a tune and see what they'll do. If they don't delam., why not? You might really enjoy them.

Volkl used an unusual layup for those with the bottom layer of titanal right on top of the base and doubling as filler between the edge tangs, then glass, core, and on up. I agree with other comments above - it was a good ski. Quality wood in the cores too. I had a pair of junior SG skis from the same period built like that except for the cap construction on top - same materials and layup order though. Skied great. . .

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
They were stored in our warm, very dry, basement. The middle sized pair was used until roughly 3 years ago for beer league races. I think the slaloms were used for coaching until the same time. The longest ones haven't been used in at least ten years, tho. She's still doing league races, but using her powder skis (still winning). I think it's just a boot issue. She'd never had the bindings reset when she changed boots and it was just easier to not obsess about it since the racing is just for good times.

TS
R

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
Personally, I wouldn't trust the bindings if they've been stored in a place with big seasonal temperature and humidity swings for that long.

The skis, on the other hand, are probably fine. Throw some new bindings on them, give them a tune and see what they'll do. If they don't delam., why not? You might really enjoy them.

Volkl used an unusual layup for those with the bottom layer of titanal right on top of the base and doubling as filler between the edge tangs, then glass, core, and on up. I agree with other comments above - it was a good ski. Quality wood in the cores too. I had a pair of junior SG skis from the same period built like that except for the cap construction on top - same materials and layup order though. Skied great. . .

What bindings would work? They have the piston plate.

Sponsor