• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

JohnL2

Booting up
Skier
……and a project for the shoulder season – but for relatively cheap. (Fix up both, sell one and you have a free chair for yourself.) If you have welding skills and equipment this would be a piece of cake. Heat up the chair tubing and seat straps, do some straitening and a little spot welding and you have a nice ski lift chair. (Or maybe just replace the tubing with something from a metal supply shop that you bend to shape?) Oh yea…. A little wood work for new seat ‘slats’ and a coat of spray paint and done. Main portion of the chair is in original condition. The seat portion was intentionally ‘destroyed’ to prevent chair from being used. Both are from Iron Mountain west of Kirkwood. Photos show current condition of both chairs plus a couple photos of identical chairs still on last remaining intact lift (in 2015). This was one of those projects that I never got around to since I lack welding skills, equipment and the time. Also includes a 3rd chair assembly (for parts?) and an interesting ‘tensioning roller?’ that might be used in mounting a finished chair. While I’d like to sell both for $200 I’d sell them separately for $125 each. I'm also open to offers. They’re heavy, no other option than picking them up in Minden, NV with a pickup or a trailer. (Though we might negotiate using my truck for local delivery). PM me with any questions.
Chair lift 1.JPG 20170402_150934.jpg P9250125.JPG P9250126.JPG P9250130.JPG P9250131.JPG Chair Orig 3.JPG Chair Orig 4.JPG Chair lift 1.JPG 20170402_150934.jpg P9250125.JPG P9250126.JPG P9250130.JPG P9250131.JPG Chair Orig 3.JPG Chair Orig 4.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't the skills but if one does, seems a decent deal.

Looked recently at chairs given I bought one 5 yrs ago .. man their price for finished ones jumped.

Happy I got mine when I did.

TS
J

JohnL2

Booting up
Skier
Thanks Pete.
And glad you found one when you did.

TS
J

JohnL2

Booting up
Skier
Thanks coskigirl

Regarding G.W’s axe – great analogy Eric.

However even if the entire seat portion was re-created using new tubing it would still be at least 75% original given the weight and mass of the main part of the frame. And besides, a little online research of ‘restored chairs’ suggests most folks aren’t too concerned about original content. Perhaps they’re swayed (by their better half?) toward comfort vs. originality during the restoration process. Though I personally (probably like you) would prefer something truly original. Well, perhaps an additional inch or 2 more padding in the seat cushion and maybe a drink holder. ogwink

Bottom line it’s all about cost with these 2 chairs. Their individual price is about a 10th (or less) of what most restored chairs are going for. So, again, if you already have the equipment and skills they’re a nice (and hopefully fun) investment and the buyer can ponder Theseus's Paradox during the restoration process.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
J

JohnL2

Booting up
Skier
And speaking of links ……
(This one provided by Tricia)

https://www.pugski.com/threads/your...rom-norway-chairlift-at-arapahoe-basin.10001/

Noticed the 'fixer upper' chairs I'm selling (at a now reduced price) appear to be identical to those being sold off at Arapahoe Basin for $550 plus tax (assuming you win a lottery for the privilege of buying one). Here you have the opportunity to buy two for less than half the price of one - and no lottery required.:doh:. Only makes sense for someone with welding skills and equipment but hey - there must be a few you within driving distance of the Tahoe area. Spend a few bucks and some time under the welding hood to restore them and you can easily resell them for $550 (with no tax or lottery). Or more likely, if you google the price of restored chairs, you'll notice another thousand per chair (on top of the $550) isn't out of range.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And speaking of links ……
(This one provided by Tricia)

https://www.pugski.com/threads/your...rom-norway-chairlift-at-arapahoe-basin.10001/

Noticed the 'fixer upper' chairs I'm selling (at a now reduced price) appear to be identical to those being sold off at Arapahoe Basin for $550 plus tax (assuming you win a lottery for the privilege of buying one). Here you have the opportunity to buy two for less than half the price of one - and no lottery required.:doh:. Only makes sense for someone with welding skills and equipment but hey - there must be a few you within driving distance of the Tahoe area. Spend a few bucks and some time under the welding hood to restore them and you can easily resell them for $550 (with no tax or lottery). Or more likely, if you google the price of restored chairs, you'll notice another thousand per chair (on top of the $550) isn't out of range.
I'm not arguing that $200.00 isn't out of line for a chair if someone has the workshop and welding skills, but the chairs off Norway at Arapahoe Basin are in really good condition. They may only need a coat of paint. And, many of us have ridden Norway, so it has some sentimental attachment.

Now, that being said, If I had the skills and equipment to fix one of the chairs you have, I'd consider it because its a cool thing from a lost ski area.

TS
J

JohnL2

Booting up
Skier
Just FYI I'll be driving my pickup from Minden, NV to San Diego area on 10/21. If there is anyone in that area (@Eleeski?) or anywhere in between that might be interested in a chair or two I could deliver them for probably no cost - depending on how far from my route I would need to divert. Just a thought.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just FYI I'll be driving my pickup from Minden, NV to San Diego area on 10/21. If there is anyone in that area (@Eleeski?) or anywhere in between that might be interested in a chair or two I could deliver them for probably no cost - depending on how far from my route I would need to divert. Just a thought.

Don't tempt me, I have too many projects already. And realistically I'd want the chair at Squaw. And my welder is out by the Salton Sea.

But a swing for the front yard???

Sigh,
Eric

TS
J

JohnL2

Booting up
Skier
Well you've got about a week to think about that front yard swing :popcorn:
And of course I could always get the 2nd one up to Squaw for when you're ready to do it again ogsmile